• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Bit of bf4 which crashed, exe stopped working. Hard to tell if oc related though tbh as the game is very buggy and will do this even at stock speed on both my systems. Other is an x58 setup.

Are you and setter sittin at 4.7 safe as well then? Seems to be the average with decent volts

Was playing round with offsets wnd adaptive yesterday - think it was 100% stable on 4.7 with round about 1.26ish (would need to check for sure)

Booted at 4.9 with just over 1.3v but failed RealBench.

Will probably go back to manual voltage to see what is required then try stabilise an adaptive voltage at same clocks. Wouldn't say was a "great" chip, but certainly seems decent... Once you get away from the auto-voltage that my HeroVI pushes at stock and right through the clock range!

22c drop full load

i used liquid ultra on the die and on the ihs i used mx-4

Nice, I'm hoping for similar... I've delidded mine this morning (vice+mallet) but I'm just waiting on my EK Naked Ivy kit to arrive... does anybody have any experience with it?

I never realised how thick the heat spreader actually was.. I always thought it would just be a thin 1mm layer of metal at the top with the core raised enough to touch it... but it's basically a miniature 3-4mm thick heatsink. Also, the TIM Intel use seems more like a rubbery substance than a paste.

Last edited:
Just to add my 2 cents, I don't believe it makes a difference with a L3 or L4. Its just luck.

I have a L3 4690k running 4.7 @ 1.20 volts and can boot up into windows and general browse the net, music etc on 5ghz @ 1.36 volts. http://valid.x86.fr/yzenep

Only installed the chip an hours ago, so I will be trying to get a fully stable 5ghz

4.8 @ 1.26 volts cinebench with a Noctua D14 in a Prodigy ITX.

8LDlH1m.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I'm hoping for similar... I've delidded mine this morning (vice+mallet) but I'm just waiting on my EK Naked Ivy kit to arrive... does anybody have any experience with it?

I never realised how thick the heat spreader actually was.. I always thought it would just be a thin 1mm layer of metal at the top with the core raised enough to touch it... but it's basically a miniature 3-4mm thick heatsink. Also, the TIM Intel use seems more like a rubbery substance than a paste.

yes intel are very bad with there paste it is thick and horrible, i have also ordered a naked ivy kit from ek i would like to see if that makes any more difference.

Ive got batch L336D106 and currently at 4.8ghz with 1.31v, not tried any lower yet but its 6 hours BF4 stable at these settings.
Temps are a little higher that I would like, hits high 60s in game on custom water with cpu in its own loop with a PA120.4 rad. Considering delidding it but don't have access to a vice. I delidded an AMD Opteron years ago with success using a blade but its still a little daunting

Back
Top Bottom