• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

So I took the plunge, popped the top on my L4.

Used GC extreme and am seeing ~7c lower temps under load. Better than nowt. :)

I also tried using a CoolLabs liquid metal pad under the IHS but it seemed to be too hard to keep steady and it wasn't seating right (even torching it with the hair dryer), my coolest core ended up the hottests and hitting 95c under IBT when it is under 80 with the GC extreme.

Maybe I should get a syringe of LU, the one I had ran out many moons ago. :(

@rpggamesplayer: was that an L3 or "toasty" one you got the 22c drop on? What was your 4.8 at 1.25ish under IBT very high do you know? Mine was 85+ now 79ish (and ambient is a good 2 - 4 c higher today than yesterday evening ...

yes intel are very bad with there paste it is thick and horrible, i have also ordered a naked ivy kit from ek i would like to see if that makes any more difference.

+1 it was all chalky and brittle under mine, pieces literall fell away when i took the top off, truly awful.

I use the blade BTW, the gasket material was quite soft and it was way easier than I had expected, I have no vice and a quick squeeze with an adjustable pliers did not feel like it wanted to move, hence the blade.

Ive got batch L336D106 and currently at 4.8ghz with 1.31v, not tried any lower yet but its 6 hours BF4 stable at these settings.
Temps are a little higher that I would like, hits high 60s in game on custom water with cpu in its own loop with a PA120.4 rad. Considering delidding it but don't have access to a vice. I delidded an AMD Opteron years ago with success using a blade but its still a little daunting

Same batch and 4.8 at 1.31v seems like my ceiling also. Can pass cinebench at 4.9, but fails RealBench either on the encoding or heavy multi-tasking sections depending on how high I set voltage. Have set all the way up to pretty close to 1.4v and all with the same results.

Also tried 4.8Ghz at 1.30v but failed at the encoding task. so had to bump voltage up 0.01v and passed RealBench. Obviously this doesn't mean it is 100% stable, but it gives a decent indication that it wont be far off. Now to try and set it up with adaptive voltage.

im still working on mine :)
can get 5.0ghz stable ish lol
can get 4.4ghz stable @1.18v
can get 4.5ghz stable @1.14v
can get 4.6ghz stable @1.2v
4.7ghz stable @1.250v
4.8ghz stable @1.270v
4.9ghz stable @1.310v
5.0ghz iffy under load @1.35v

still working out the kinks
i wonder what causes the cpu to flat out reboot like it was hard reset when pushing it @5.0ghz its like there is not enough voltage somewhere might try and up the VRIN to 2.20v instead of trying out 1.9v could be the cause.

Last edited:
im still working on mine :)
can get 5.0ghz stable ish lol
can get 4.4ghz stable @1.18v
can get 4.5ghz stable @1.14v
can get 4.6ghz stable @1.2v
4.7ghz stable @1.250v
4.8ghz stable @1.270v
4.9ghz stable @1.310v
5.0ghz iffy under load @1.35v

still working out the kinks
i wonder what causes the cpu to flat out reboot like it was hard reset when pushing it @5.0ghz its like there is not enough voltage somewhere might try and up the VRIN to 2.20v instead of trying out 1.9v could be the cause.

Pretty nice. I can get 4.7Ghz@ same kind of voltages as you, but takes 1.31v for me to hit 4.8 stable. Using RealBench as my stressing tool.

Out of interest, what are you using to confirm stability?

Seems like a good chip and above what could be considered average. Think mines sits bang on the curve of average, maybe just slightly above. Although I am a bit of a noob at overclocking Haswell - just let my board to everything on 4770K.

Here's mine!

http://image.free.in.th/v/2013/ip/140629114348.jpg[/IMG

[B][COLOR="Cyan"]Images must be no bigger than 1280x wide or use spoiler tags.[/COLOR][/B]

http://i.imgur.com/AqqET6S.png[/img

[B][COLOR="Cyan"]Images must be no bigger than 1280x wide or use spoiler tags.[/COLOR][/B]

WOW toasty lol intel burn test really does heat stuff up lol
low 70s when running aida32 though weird.

seems my board overvolts by quite a bit
1.244v = 0.4 overvolt = 1.272v real or showing in windows that is.
4.73ghz with a 4.4 system cache @1.23v
default vrin. might up the vrin and try to lower the vcore a few notches.

this is with a very good watercooling system so i dont know what the hell is going on with temps in INTELBURNTEST.

i can bench @4.8 and 4.9 and little things @5.0 but for 24/7 im going to be running @4.7
just need to tweak it now..

Pretty nice. I can get 4.7Ghz@ same kind of voltages as you, but takes 1.31v for me to hit 4.8 stable. Using RealBench as my stressing tool.

Out of interest, what are you using to confirm stability?

Seems like a good chip and above what could be considered average. Think mines sits bang on the curve of average, maybe just slightly above. Although I am a bit of a noob at overclocking Haswell - just let my board to everything on 4770K.

aida32 for 1 hour
and intel burn test for 30 minutes.

if you pass that i consider it stable.

aida32 for 1 hour
and intel burn test for 30 minutes.

if you pass that i consider it stable.

Yeah that is good enough for me! Lol

I start with Cinebench/ wPrime which are both relatively light and quick, then follow that up with Asus RealBench and 3DMark. If it passes all of that the. i consider it stable for what I will be using it for.

RealBench seems to not like me trying to go for 4.9ghz... But i wil keep trying :D

On virus's screenshot above, in coretemp the three figures in orange, is this a sign of throttling? Sometimes ive seen this at 80c ono, sometimes at 90c ono.

No it's just Coretemp warning you that the temperature is high, if throttling was occuring the temperature would be much lower, that's why CPU's throttle to reduce the temp...

Last edited:
No it's just warning you that the temperature is high, if throttling was occuring the temperature would be really low, that's why CPU's throttle to reduce the temp...
Ahh, just tried ibt on very high with the 4.6 bios oc profile. Temps hit 88-93-93-87 10 seconds ono into the first loop, 1.312v at load.

I top out at 79c with max stress ibt

1igbb5.jpg

if anyone would do the same on a delidded 4790k would be interesting to see

Passed xtu at 4.8, 1.30625v in bios, 1.312 at load in cpuz. Max temp of 80c. Also passes cinebench, 960cb. But running real bench results in bsod during the second test.

Last edited:
Passed xtu at 4.8, 1.30625v in bios, 1.312 at load in cpuz. Max temp of 80c. Also passes cinebench, 960cb.

Yeah that seems almost identical to mines voltage wise for 4.8 although I haven't run xtu. Simply RealBench and Cinebench. Failed at 1.3000 so I notched it up to 1.31 in Bios, which showed 1.312 in cpu-z.

Temps were maybe 3 or 4 degress below 80, but I did have my Gentle Typhoons going at 1850rpm on my radiator.

Back
Top Bottom