• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
Thanks, not sure I understand why there are so many higher frequencies sold then if I'm limited by CPU. I suppose I'm better off trying to get the lowest latency 1600mhz I can get then.

For hardcore overclockers mainly. (and people who don't do their research and go out and buy the fastest most expensive they can when they don't need it)

Beyond 2000mhz you'll probably have to start manually messing around with timings and increasing voltages unless the memory has an XMP profile which will do it all for you (which is still by no means guaranteed to work).

IMO 1600-1866mhz (maybe 2000mhz) is much more realistic if you want to keep voltages at default and/or you are not an hardcore overclocker. Also 2 sticks will overclock a lot better than 4 as there's less strain on the memory controller.

Associate
yeah pretty sure you'll get it better

aslong as your parts are copper or nickle plated your ok,it corrodes aluminium

Yes I tested what it does to Alu several years ago, not pretty. ;)

BTW, JJ from Asus posted this recently:

"Stay tuned for the new UEFI build 1203 and new AiSuite III fully optimized and tuned for Devil’s Canyon. "

Which sounds good. I imagine it means updates UEFI "auto rules" will be coming and whatever else they have worked out for the software.

My WS seems to be the last to get the latest released as they may do extra testing.

Interestingly the first tile I ran the current AIS3 auto tune at 1.37v it was showing 85c. With the delid/Gelid at 1.4 (when I stopped it) it was only at 56c.

I'll give it another run maybe tonight with the LU now on the core and see what it shows.

Regarding my temps, it's allso useful to remember that 2 of my cores are running 7 or 8c hotter than the other 2, so the cooler ones are seeing much better temps.

Last edited:
Associate
I can boot and bench with various @4.7ghz @ 1.31v, but when converting a dvd to MP4 using handbrake (ipad setting with 'slow' selected) I get BSOD error 101. Dropped my multi down to 46 @ 1.29 and its pretty rock solid at the moment. Temps around 80c (motherboard temp 30-32c).

Associate
I can boot and bench with various @4.7ghz @ 1.31v, but when converting a dvd to MP4 using handbrake (ipad setting with 'slow' selected) I get BSOD error 101. Dropped my multi down to 46 @ 1.29 and its pretty rock solid at the moment. Temps around 80c (motherboard temp 30-32c).

may I ask why you have it at 1.29 v at 4.6ghx and have you set that your self. Mine runs at 4.6 on adaptive voltage and only goes to 1.184 v under any stress test I do. I n bios it reads 1.052 at idle seems a big difference

Last edited:
Associate
may I ask why you have it at 1.29 v at 4.6ghx and have you set that your self. Mine runs at 4.6 on adaptive voltage and only goes to 1.184 v under any stress test I do. I n bios it reads 1.052 at idle seems a big difference

It's @1.29 (manually set) because anything less BSOD's with error 101. Tested with mem @1600 at 1.5v to rule that out, and uncore multi 42 @1.22v. I noticed Intel XTU showing my CPU as 4700 when it's manually set in the bios at multi 46....(will post a screen shot tonight). Other settings that I can remember EIST& CPU states disabled. LLC Level 8, rest is pretty much Auto.

Last edited:
Associate
It's @1.29 (manually set) because anything less BSOD's with error 101. Tested with mem @1600 at 1.5v to rule that out, and uncore multi 42 @1.22v. I noticed Intel XTU showing my CPU as 4700 when it's manually set in the bios at multi 46....(will post a screen shot tonight). Other settings that I can remember EIST& CPU states disabled. LLC Level 8, rest is pretty much Auto.

maybe I got lucky with my chip then. I have ran it at 4.8 but manually set volts to 1.26 to get that but I don't like to run it at 1.26 volts even when it downclocked itself...not worked out how to get the volts to downclock with the chip when its in manual.....lol I don't understand half the settings on these boards but am happy with 4.6 for everyday use

Associate
maybe I got lucky with my chip then. I have ran it at 4.8 but manually set volts to 1.26 to get that but I don't like to run it at 1.26 volts even when it downclocked itself...not worked out how to get the volts to downclock with the chip when its in manual.....lol I don't understand half the settings on these boards but am happy with 4.6 for everyday use

I could still dsr my chip but it's enough for me and I dont really want the hassle of posting back and possibly getting another average chip. I'm more than likely going to go X99 anyway....

Soldato
I am running on 4.7ghz at 1.25v. I leave my pc on 24/7. It has passed all my stability tests and I have used it for a 4 days straight now, gaming, encoding, streaming etc.

I know I should be using adaptive volts to save power and extend the life of my chip but I can't be bothered. Will leave it at Manual 1.25v forever and ever now as its stable. Wonder how much money I am going to be wasting hehe. :)

Think I will work on overclocking my graphics card now!

Soldato
I'd be more than happy with 4.7 tbh, my 4770k was stable at 4.4 on about 1.25v so I'd be thrilled with your result. Still trying to decide on a cooler. Think the Noctua N12S is winning as it will fit and seems pretty good from reviews.

Soldato
This is the worst time of the year to buy a new chip and overclock it! Or it could be viewed as a good time? If you get a stable overclock in the summer with higher ambient room temperatures then it will definately stay stable in the winter. I wonder how many people here have "seasonal overclocks."

PCZ

PCZ

Associate

Handbrake uses AVX so it's no surprise you got 101 errors at 4.7.
You need more vcore.
Trouble is your already running hot and the extra volts required will be too much.

XTU shows multi as one higher than you have set, I see the same thing on all my PC's.
As soon as you apply any load though it drops back to what you think it should be.
Strange and I wonder if on light load the CPU is actually running one multi higher ?

Soldato
question for you guys that have delided.
do you happen to know the best stuff to use on the caps and on the heatsink to put the ihs back on, if you watch this video i want to do what this guy does.
so that the chip looks like its never been delided after its had liquid pro put on.

---------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SFh4LA_byE

as you can see from that video it looks professional :)
and it would be better method in future for resale value.. cant go giving people a cpu with ihs wobbleing about in the box with the chip...

do ocuk sell this type of silicon ?

Caporegime
you can buy the high temp silicon adhesive or gasket glue used on cars/bikes

but personally id leave it loose,and just be open when selling it as a delidded cpu and much lower temps

it leaves you the option to re apply the paste aswell if need be

Soldato
to be honest i still need it as i want to cover up the caps, dont want metal touching those things.

do ocuk sell it though ? link ? or would varnish be better for those ?

Associate
to be honest i still need it as i want to cover up the caps, dont want metal touching those things.

do ocuk sell it though ? link ? or would varnish be better for those ?
I think most people use varnish or non-conductive TIM atm.

I must say I'm looking forward to seeing how my 4790K does once it's up and running. It's been torture having it sat in it's box. Mine should be an L3 batch though as it was among the first lot of 4790Ks to be shipped.

Soldato
I think most people use varnish or non-conductive TIM atm.

I must say I'm looking forward to seeing how my 4790K does once it's up and running. It's been torture having it sat in it's box. Mine should be an L3 batch though as it was among the first lot of 4790Ks to be shipped.

From what I have seen, you should be able to get 4.7ghz guaranteed from L3.

Good luck when you do overclock!

Associate
4.7 1.285

Hi guys ive just tested my cpu, and i found out that its stable at 4700 , at 1.285 volts, ive been testing it at 1.275 volts the last couple of days and it seems to be stable there to, i just wanna know where to go from here?

it seems ive good a over middel cpu, and i wanna hit 48-50 in multiplier.

im currently running on asus maximus ranger z87, corsair dominator 2133 mhz

modification in bios, set xmp and manual volt to 1.285 and multiplier 47

corsair h100i

batch L331c517

here are my results

hope to get some advise to get further

Back
Top Bottom