• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
2dtt091.png

Associate
Test it at 4.8ghz at 1.3v and go up in small increments until its stable same goes for 4.9ghz then 5ghz but keep a eye on temps and try not to exceed 1.4v for 24/7 use.
to be fair 4.7ghz is a good overclock if your happy keep it there and just save profiles in bios for higher ones, your cinebench score should be a bit higher.

Soldato
delid done ;) update soon :)

-----------------------------------------------------

79CpSsG.png

Temps under intel burn test 5 runs gained 20c under load LMFAO
and 3c under idle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Aida 32 57c max load under its stress test :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

man my nerves where wreaked when deliding
my finger slipped and i hit my thumb with the hammer lmfao, then i couldnt find the right peice of wood as all the wood i was using seemed to dig into the chip, i think i took off half a tree and all the splinters landed on the back side of the cpu hahaha
suffice to say nerve wreaking, but i persisted....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Delid pictures :)
i used varnish on the vrms/ic`s seemed logical, i stuck to what people where saying and to not use silicon incase i needed in the future to reapply.

ZIg6j8u.jpg
SXoXig7.jpg

as you can see from the 2nd picture i almost crushed the ihs in the vice lol
though i checked elivation and it was fine :D

Last edited:
Soldato
2qmhrnt.jpg

Fine Tuning begins ;) DELID FTW :D
memory fine tuned @2400 tight with a 4400uncore @1.180v with a cpu @1.277v...... @4.801ghz. 71c maxed in the most intensive heat producing INTELBURNTEST.

Last edited:
Soldato
As it turns out my cpu wasn't stable at 4.8ghz with 1.31v. Was fine in Cinnebench and BF4 for 6 hours but fails on Asus Real Bench. Tried upto 1.35v and still fails Real Bench.

Dropped it back to 4.7ghz and currently working the voltage back. Its at 1.26v at the mo.

Are there any other volts or setting I could change to try and get it stable at 4.8ghz? Currently I've just set the cpu voltage to normal, using cpu offset to change the voltage and I've set ring voltage at 1.2v with uncore at 4.4ghz.
All C states and EIST are still enabled with turbo multi set at 48.

Any recommendations?

Associate
As it turns out my cpu wasn't stable at 4.8ghz with 1.31v. Was fine in Cinnebench and BF4 for 6 hours but fails on Asus Real Bench. Tried upto 1.35v and still fails Real Bench.

Dropped it back to 4.7ghz and currently working the voltage back. Its at 1.26v at the mo.

Are there any other volts or setting I could change to try and get it stable at 4.8ghz? Currently I've just set the cpu voltage to normal, using cpu offset to change the voltage and I've set ring voltage at 1.2v with uncore at 4.4ghz.

Any recommendations?

I think you will likely need more CPU vcore volts, if 1.35 isn't enough then I'd call it a day and settle for 4.7

Soldato

Any recommendations?

VRIN is your best friend :)

try putting that @1.9 if no go then 2.0 if no go then 1.250v
give that a try ;)
VRIN is different to vcore so make sure its up @1.30v.... also.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What uncore speed/voltage are people running at? I can only seem to get my chip stable with it exactly 400mhz below cpu clock, it's a bit of a pain trying to get 4.8ghz because of it.

Caporegime
Cheers. 4.7ish looks to be my highest stable clock.

What temp are you getting under latest Prime95 Small FFT Virus2k? I've delidded and running naked core with EK Supreme and still hitting 90C in that. :( was hitting 100C within a second before mind. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
o552u0.jpg

something is totally wrong with your delid if your hitting anywhere near 90c .......
above is currently what i am testing at :)

and here is a intel burntest shot.

79CpSsG.png

placed in spoiler tags as the image is a little big lol

Soldato
Cheers. 4.7ish looks to be my highest stable clock.

What temp are you getting under latest Prime95 Small FFT Virus2k? I've delidded and running naked core with EK Supreme and still hitting 90C in that. :( was hitting 100C within a second before mind. :p

check the thread above this, BTW something is wrong with your method of applying the paste or heatsinks. or your heatsink is not flat..

68c max is what i see in INTELBURNTEST @4.8.

Caporegime
Can you just give Prime95 Small FFT a quick run and tell me your temp? I'm getting 84C in IBT. What else have you got in your loop? I've tried adjusting pressure hasn't helped.

Which way is your waterblock orientated btw?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom