• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Permabanned
^^ This guy.

You can say it's not much, but I've gone from an unstable 4770K clocker to a rock solid 4.9Ghz @ 1.38v. That's a pretty decent chip right there imho.

For new buyers this refresh is great. Z97 + 4790K is a great deal at the same price points. For those willing to spend more and get more performance can just wait for X99 in a few months.

Your 4770K is [email protected]?

Soldato
My system can run ANYTHING except P95 and currently has a system up time of one week, including a lot of intensive gaming sessions (Planetside 2 is particulary sensitive to bad overclocks) and I can't remember the last time I had a crash/blue screen. But it crashes in P95 within 5 seconds.

Not being able to run P95 doesn't mean your system isn't stable - it just means it can't run P95 - which I couldn't care less about.

P95 is junk.
Calm down dear...

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
4790k in the house :)
DPD didn't lose it !!

My take on P95 as a stability tool.
In the old days it was very useful as it gave the memory, CPU integer units and FPU a good workout.
Passing the P95 stress tests meant you could be confident that your PC would be good for running any app.

Nowadays that is no longer true.
P95 now uses AVX code exclusively so it isn't testing the integer and standard FPU maths that it used to.
Very few apps use AVX, virtually no games do.
So it is quite possible to pass P95 on a modern PC and be unstable whilst for example gaming or running flash in a browser.

On a dedicated gaming PC I make sure I use things such as 3dMARK 11 and 13
The Physics tests will crap out on unstable clocks.
I loop things like the res6 bench.
The Cinebench tests should run OK and I will use them as a stability indicator.
R15 will usually barf on unstable CPU's.

The PC's I use for Distributed Computing are tested with P95 very heavily as it is the AVX maths that is used in a lot of the clients.
In some cases the actual P95 libraries themselves for the Prime number crunching projects.

EDIT: The ''new'' TIM is **ite.
Behaviour the same as the old chips, CPU core hot enough to melt lead yet the heatsink is cold :(

Last edited:
Associate
it is,its probably old stock idk,but the 2014 batches will say L4

alsong as it clocks well I wouldn't worry

Just checking, managed to get one of these first batches from ocuk, not had chance to install yet, but my batch code is L418C133 (e4), seems to suggest its a 2014 chip manufactured in week 18 (end of April). What's everyone else's batch numbers?

Associate
You're not missing much, all these 4790K's that OCUK are selling are all old processors from 2013 judging by what people have been posting in here.

Intel have basically just changed out power delivery, maybe improved the TIM maybe not, and then just put a stock 4Ghz core clock in and a high vcore to make sure its stable.

How's this even possible. How are 4790k's from 2013 I don't get it.....

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Just checking, managed to get one of these first batches from ocuk, not had chance to install yet, but my batch code is L418C133 (e4), seems to suggest its a 2014 chip manufactured in week 18 (end of April). What's everyone else's batch numbers?

L336D107
If I am interpreting that code correctly it was made 10 months ago.

Last edited:
Associate
This is from an intel forum post:

Example: L149A463-0726

1st letter or digit = plant code (Malay)
0 = San Jose, Costa Rica
1 = Cavite, Philippines
3 = .............., Costa Rica
6 = Chandler, Arizona
7 = .........., Philippines
8 = Leixlip, Ireland
9 = Penang, Malaysia
L = ............, Malaysia
Q = ..........., Malaysia
R = Manila, Philippines
Y = Leixlip, Ireland

2nd digit = Year of production (2001)

3rd & 4th digits = week (49th week )

5th - 8th digits= lot number

10th - 13th digits = serialization code

Does yours say intel confidential on the chip?

If you google 4790k and look at images, the engineering samples had similar batch numbers to yours

Soldato
How's this even possible. How are 4790k's from 2013 I don't get it.....

This is what I want to know also. I can't check my batch number since Inam at the girlfriends place today, but I assume it will be the same.

I am happy enough with my chip tbh, but I most certainly wont be happy if it turns out later batches perform better, be it thermally or with greater overclocking headroom.

On the (albeit limited) test I did yesterday, I ran wPrime on my 4770K @4.4ghz, which my board auto-assigned 1.264v to support. I then switched out the chips. The board auto-assigned 1.264 whenever turbo was enabled @4.4ghz (stock). I run the same test and lo-and-behold at the same frequencies both chips had identical temperatures on all 4 cores... 68, 67, 68, 64

Now what are the chances of that, given that the 4790K is supposed to have superior "next-gen" TIM?

Soldato
^^ I seen that - although tbf TIM can look the same and be chemically different with different heat transferring properties... BUT on my testing it would appear to be identical.

Which leads me on to this - why are Intel using this new TIM as a major marketting ploy for this new chip if its perfomance is identical? How can that be allowed?

Soldato
Seems like it's possible that Intel are using up excess 4770k dies, slapping the extra capacitors on the bottom and shipping them out.

Will be interesting to see what the newer batches of cpu's are like, if they have the new TIM that Intel talked about and possibly improved dies.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Well how can a chip made in 2013 possibly be using the new TIM ?
Just how long have intel been making and sitting on 4790s ?

I am going to check mine and see if it has the new capacitor layout on the bottom
edit: It does

Last edited:
Soldato
hot.jpg

Don't understand why Its running so warm :mad:

Soldato
mine turned up yesterday, not had chance to play with it yet.

Looks like I've got an old chip also, code on my is L336 D or C 106 (cant remember which letter and can't check right now)

Kinda tempted to return it and and get one of the later batches if other people are getting chips from 2014. Don't wanna fire it up and find its running just as hot as 4770k's

Boomstick, do you happen to know which code you have? Seem to have a cool chip

Back
Top Bottom