• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
You plan on just running P95 on your computer? That's all running P95 proves, is your computer is stable....running P95.

Processors were designed to do math, Prime95 is math, show me a CPU that fails at math at stock speeds, it would be deemed as faulty and thrown away/sold at a lesser speed.

Not prime 95 again!! Prime 95 who cares!!!

Anyone who wants a system that works as intended and isn't interested in willy waving, there's a lot of people who take stability seriously you just don't see them posting as much as the overclockers who tend to brag a lot.

Last edited:
Associate
TIM is the same we delidded some in Taiwan. The major change is in the power delivery which for me has made no difference to overclocking. Infact my 4770K are better...
Intel surely are on some very shaky ground then, considering their marketing claims?

Devil's Canyon seems to be something of a disappointment to most, especially considering the hype. Or are there some nuances to overclocking these new chips which might extract some more performance?

OcUK Staff
I will be excited about it when and if I find 6.5+ 3D chip or 6.7 2D chip. I am sure they are out there as with 4770K but for me so far DC is not looking great. My quest starts early next week.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Processors were designed to do math, Prime95 is math, show me a CPU that fails at math at stock speeds, it would be deemed as faulty and thrown away/sold at a lesser speed.

Anyone who wants a system that works as intended and isn't interested in willy waving, there's a lot of people who take stability seriously you just don't see them posting as much as the overclockers who tend to brag a lot.

If you had the odd world record you may post it!! But as many who make such statements you don't!! Infact you have nothing worth posting at all. MMJ = Much Mouth ALL junk ;)!

Associate
I tend to use Heaven, 3D mark, play a demanding game, encode a video & then do a Prim95 last if all the others ran fine to check for stability, Jumping straight in to a Prime test always scares me lol

Associate
I will be excited about it when and if I find 6.5+ 3D chip or 6.7 2D chip. I am sure they are out there as with 4770K but for me so far DC is not looking great. My quest starts early next week.

I will be excited when OCUK starts selling some DC chips that were manufactured this year!

I hope the G3258s arent just some bargain basement cpu thats been sat for 9 months.

Soldato
I dunno, in the past ive tried just running stuff like IBT and its passed, but then failed in prime95. And when ive tried to use my pc without running prime it fails and gets bsod. But once I run prime95 afterwards my pc seems fine, never get any bsod.

Each to their own I guess :)
I've found the same thing in the past. I've tried running my system for gaming on max overclock and there's nothing more annoying than the system BSOD or CTD after an hours gaming. Which is what usually happens if my system is not 100% stable, such as Prime95 stable.

If it can run P95 then I've found it can run anything, even very system intensive games like Civ 5 or a fully modded Skyrim for hours without issue. Which is why I built a high end gaming system....

Caporegime
Ive had 24hour+ prime 95 blend and small fft/LinX stable overclocks fail in seconds upon starting an intensive game. Battlefield bad company 2 being a great example, that game could expose unstable oc'd in a matter of minutes.

Soldato
Hmm. I really don't want to pull it all out again. I used the thermal paste which came with the pro 3, wondering now if I should have used some silver 5 i had sitting around.

Its in an matx case but its got two fans blowing air in directly on to the hsf, and a 140mm exhaust.

I will need to investigate :(

Permabanned
Hmm. I really don't want to pull it all out again. I used the thermal paste which came with the pro 3, wondering now if I should have used some silver 5 i had sitting around.

Its in an matx case but its got two fans blowing air in directly on to the hsf, and a 140mm exhaust.

I will need to investigate :(

I always use MX-4 it hasn't let me down yet :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've found the same thing in the past. I've tried running my system for gaming on max overclock and there's nothing more annoying than the system BSOD or CTD after an hours gaming. Which is what usually happens if my system is not 100% stable, such as Prime95 stable.

If it can run P95 then I've found it can run anything, even very system intensive games like Civ 5 or a fully modded Skyrim for hours without issue. Which is why I built a high end gaming system....

My system can run ANYTHING except P95 and currently has a system up time of one week, including a lot of intensive gaming sessions (Planetside 2 is particulary sensitive to bad overclocks) and I can't remember the last time I had a crash/blue screen. But it crashes in P95 within 5 seconds.

Not being able to run P95 doesn't mean your system isn't stable - it just means it can't run P95 - which I couldn't care less about.

P95 is junk.

Associate
I didn't think the 4790K's were out until the 23rd how come some of you guys got them already?

Also it says on website they are still pre-order with no date (for retail ones anyroad)

Associate
they sold out already...

You're not missing much, all these 4790K's that OCUK are selling are all old processors from 2013 judging by what people have been posting in here.

Intel have basically just changed out power delivery, maybe improved the TIM maybe not, and then just put a stock 4Ghz core clock in and a high vcore to make sure its stable.

Soldato
OP
^^ This guy.

You can say it's not much, but I've gone from an unstable 4770K clocker to a rock solid 4.9Ghz @ 1.38v. That's a pretty decent chip right there imho.

For new buyers this refresh is great. Z97 + 4790K is a great deal at the same price points. For those willing to spend more and get more performance can just wait for X99 in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom