• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** Intel Pentium G4560: Bang For Buck Gaming **

Soldato
According to the video comparison above, a GTX 1060 looks like a good fit. However, in a decent chunk of the games they tested even the 1080 wasn't bottlenecked much or at all by the Pentium, so basically any video card will be fine. The 1050 doesn't look like good value to me; maybe a second hand previous generation card would be better.

Soldato
As I am looking to move my Rift and 1080 to a dedicated rig, this CPU or the G4620 seem like a decent option.

Should be a nice upgrade over the current FX8350 :D

Caporegime
Is the G4620 worth the extra cash over this?

Well that should be obvious if you read the thread. There is a reason why this particular cpu was picked over all the rest as it hits the best Bang for Buck.

Is the G4620 better - Yes.

Is it worth it - Well that depends on your view on things. Why would you need that slightly extra oomph for instance when this handles most things.

Associate
I'm seriously considering one of these for my new build with the intention of upping to an i7 sometime late this year/early next.

The potential competition is being to quiet and taking too long! This chip seems like it would do nicely for a build to be used for gaming/graphics/design stuff and the value is just amazing.

Was thinking to pair it with something like a 480 on a decent mobo and just upgrade the CPU as and when I feel the need or if a good offer on i7 comes up (say black friday).

Soldato
I'm seriously considering one of these for my new build with the intention of upping to an i7 sometime late this year/early next.

The potential competition is being to quiet and taking too long! This chip seems like it would do nicely for a build to be used for gaming/graphics/design stuff and the value is just amazing.

Was thinking to pair it with something like a 480 on a decent mobo and just upgrade the CPU as and when I feel the need or if a good offer on i7 comes up (say black friday).

This was also my idea but I'm holding out for Zen, as even if that's not what I upgrade to, it should at least shake the market/pricing up a bit

Associate
That was my initial thought process but I'm getting a bit fed up of the silence, too much rumour not enough substance.

These are all substance and great lil chips.... I'll give it until mid-late February but if nothing real has surfaced by then I'm hitting the buy :)

Soldato
There isn't and will be no competition from AMD for the G4560. Where things will heat up is the higher end, for i7 & i7x; as far as I'm concerned the i3 & i5 desktop lineups are dead from a practical pov.

Soldato
Agreed with Poneros, it will be a big surprise if AMD can produce something as good or better at the same price point. It's priced keenly enough already that it almost certainly won't be 'shaken up' by the Zen release.

Soldato
Agreed with Poneros, it will be a big surprise if AMD can produce something as good or better at the same price point. It's priced keenly enough already that it almost certainly won't be 'shaken up' by the Zen release.

Fair point, but I was referring to the range in general rather than just this lower end CPU, e.g. if the 7700k is cheaper/reduced after the launch of Zen, then just get that in the first place rather than upgrading down the line, or just upgrade to Zen

Basically it's the waiting game either way :)

Soldato
Just awaiting a new 1050 on Monday coming but the little ITX with the G4560 is running great. No issues with the install, had to use a G3900 to start the H110 plus up and updated the bios vai USB. All went easy enough.

Using it just for movies etc at the moment until the 1050 comes but seems pretty sweet :)

Associate
I've been following this thread for a few days now and considered a new build based on this G4560. Would this CPU handle Forza Horizon 3 if I was to pair it with a RX 480 8GB and 16GB 2400mhz memory at 1080p?

Soldato
Doubtful of what? It's gonna do well.

f3_proz.png

f3_1920_h.png

Associate
The G4560 and RX 480 would make a great combo then? I have an i5 7500 as a backup plan on my build list, but this little Pentium could save me some pennies.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The G4560 and RX 480 would make a great combo then? I have an i5 7500 as a backup plan on my build list, but this little Pentium could save me some pennies.

Will be fine, honestly I'm running all my games at 1080P / 1440P using this Pentium and a GTX 780.

This is the best value chip in a long long time, might as well take advantage of that now. Then in the future, maybe next couple years go for a big upgrade. Second wave of Zen or Intel's then latest etc.

Back
Top Bottom