• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** Intel Pentium G4560: Bang For Buck Gaming **

Associate
What a deal of a CPU! I've got the slight step up, the G4600, mainly because it went into a mini STX build for my parents' place, so iGPU only, and the HD 630 in the G4600 felt like it might be a better bet for the longer term as opposed to the HD 610 in the G4560. Makes most of the i3 range seem pointless unless you really needed AVX instructions for some reason

Caporegime
which boards and ram will work with this out of the box now ?

out the box any 200 series

however the Z270 can accept all sorts of speeds of RAM the other 2 only accept 2400mhz and below DDR4.

Z270 is expensive but you get more features / performance in terms of PCI-e lanes, etc.

I'm in the same position and I think I'm going to go with a non Z270 board. the cheapest with the specs i need.

Associate
The G4560 and RX 480 would make a great combo then? I have an i5 7500 as a backup plan on my build list, but this little Pentium could save me some pennies.

As good as the RX 480 is (got one myself) I think NVIDIA cards do better when paired with low end CPUs due to DX 11 CPU overhead on AMD cards.

Soldato
It's an unbelievable combo in terms of value & performance imo, one of the best things in years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dichjs9HXTg

As good as the RX 480 is (got one myself) I think NVIDIA cards do better when paired with low end CPUs due to DX 11 CPU overhead on AMD cards.

Not anymore it seems with a number of games - someone noted on Reddit DX11 overhead seemed a bit better with the ReLive drivers and if you look at that test,you might notice,that apart from one game,both the GTX1060 and RX470 are showing similar scaling going from a Core i7 to a Core i3.

Soldato
You can see in the video it drops to 30 or below in some intensive scenes, where the other CPU are solidly 60 and in most cases beyond.

Wouldn't really call that something special unless your budget is seriously constrained.

Soldato
You can see in the video it drops to 30 or below in some intensive scenes, where the other CPU are solidly 60 and in most cases beyond.

Wouldn't really call that something special unless your budget is seriously constrained.

Plenty of people are not hitting 60FPS constant in most games anyway down to CPU bottlenecks or GPU bottlenecks,or the fact a game can be just poorly optimised.

An example is PS2,so its all a moot point.

Its a great budget CPU. If you want to spend three times more on a Core i5,then good for you,but if it is the difference between a Core i5 7400 and a GTX1050 and a Pentium G4560,SSD and a RX470,9/10 most people would take the latter.

Edit!!

Yes,there are probably games where a Core i3 struggles,but I am sure you could also say there are games where a Core i7 shows an advantage over a Core i5,or games a GTX1070 is faster at 1080P than a GTX1060 or RX480 but in the end you can keep throwing money at things and people will just get a PS4 PRO instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty of people are not hitting 60FPS constant in most games anyway down to CPU bottlenecks or GPU bottlenecks,or the fact a game can be just poorly optimised.

An example is PS2,so its all a moot point.

Its a great budget CPU. If you want to spend three times more on a Core i5,then good for you,but if it is the difference between a Core i5 7400 and a GTX1050 and a Pentium G4560,SSD and a RX470,9/10 most people would take the latter.

Hitting 30fps in a game as matured as Crysis 3 in this day and age is not a moot point by any extent. I'm not even sure that's really up for any form of debate.

Soldato
Hitting 30fps in a game as matured as Crysis 3 in this day and age is not a moot point by any extent. I'm not even sure that's really up for any form of debate.

Because you obviously have not actually seemed to have played any of these games in any real way - you are just measurebating.

You are in some little bubble - plenty of online games don't hit 60FPS including PS2 and games like Eve Online during very intensive parts. Plenty of strategy games which me and my mates play too. Even games like Diablo 3 where people were saying massively overclocked Haswell CPUs at the time were tanking during Rifts,etc. I should know having played many of those games,even with mates who had the latest Core i7s,etc.

Crysis at a locked 60FPS - you must have been joking. I had a 1680X1050 panel with an overclocked 8800GTS 512MB and that game thrashed hardware.

I wasn't hitting constant 60FPS on Crysis2 or Crysis3 either since I was more GPU limited than CPU limited.

Yet,all those games were smooth enough to run and even with a massive overclocked Core i7 7700K there will be games which won't be hitting constant 60FPS.

E-PEEN attitudes like you are what pushes people away from budget PC gaming to consoles.

Why bother with a Pentium G4560 and RX470 when they might as well get a PS4 PRO because a forum expert said it was crap for gaming.

PC MASTER race own goal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because you obviously have not actually seemed to have played any of these games in any real way - you are just measurebating.

You are in some little bubble - plenty of online games don't hit 60FPS including PS2 and games like Eve Online during very intensive parts. Plenty of strategy games which me and my mates play too. Even games like Diablo 3 where people were saying massively overclocked Haswell CPUs at the time were tanking during Rifts,etc. I should know having played many of those games,even with mates who had the latest Core i7s,etc.

Crysis at a locked 60FPS - you must have been joking. I had a 1680X1050 panel with an overclocked 8800GTS 512MB and that game thrashed hardware.

I wasn't hitting constant 60FPS on Crysis2 or Crysis3 either since I was more GPU limited than CPU limited.

Yet,all those games were smooth enough to run and even with a massive overclocked Core i7 7700K there will be games which won't be hitting constant 60FPS.

E-PEEN attitudes like you are what pushes people away from budget PC gaming to consoles.

Why bother with a Pentium G4560 and RX470 when they might as well get a PS4 PRO because a forum expert said it was crap for gaming.

PC MASTER race own goal.

If you want to play games with 30 fps minimums when aiming for a target of twice that, then that's your prerogative. Just don't project that spew onto others as though there is some missing context.

Soldato

Clearly your budget is constrained if you are going for a £60 CPU. Do you know what thread you're in? The main point is that not only does this CPU offer the best bang-for-buck for gaming (of course it won't be as good in raw terms as a Core i7), but it also is decent enough to not strangle mid-range GPUs too badly. It's pretty much the only choice right now if you're going for a (nearly-)console-priced gaming PC. Consoles are mostly locked at 30 fps anyway.

Soldato
£56.99 you can get it for, true bargain. Would not reccomend pairing it with an AMD GPU as the AMD DX11 driver aint to budget cpu friendly. 1050 or 1060 are perfect patners for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
£56.99 you can get it for, true barain. Would not reccomend pairing it with an AMD GPU as the AMD DX11 driver aint to budget cpu friendly. 1050 or 1060 are perfect patners for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dichjs9HXTg

Not sure if it is true anymore - it appears ReLive has helped. Look at that video,and look at the percentage drops between using a Pentium G4560 and a Core i7 with an RX470 4GB and a GTX1060 6GB. Only one game(Tombraider),shows a significant drop on a RX470 compared to the GTX1060,but look at some of the others,in some cases the RX470 appears to do a bit better in terms of percentage performance drops.

Edit!!

Also look how in some of the more intensive games,even the Core i7 6700K cannot hit 60FPS minimums.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clearly your budget is constrained if you are going for a £60 CPU. Do you know what thread you're in? The main point is that not only does this CPU offer the best bang-for-buck for gaming (of course it won't be as good in raw terms as a Core i7), but it also is decent enough to not strangle mid-range GPUs too badly. It's pretty much the only choice right now if you're going for a (nearly-)console-priced gaming PC. Consoles are mostly locked at 30 fps anyway.

Again, wouldn't call it special. I'd put the performance exactly where you'd expect for the money. If that's what constitutes as special to you, then more power to you.

9JKdQ4i.jpg

Soldato
Oh **** crysis 3 and that one huge cpu hog level that even maxes out the i5 to under 60 fps. It's a great chip that will maintain 60 fps in the majority of games with the right gpu, only elitists ould hate on it.

Soldato
Well that is why the level was used by the site, is it not? The lowest SKU is the lowest performer, underneath the i3. That's not to say it's not without merit, but to brand it as special speaks words for the standard of performance from some users. These frametimes have a notable impact on the experience.

Mistake that for elitism if that helps your case...

Soldato
Just ordered one of these for a mini ITX build just for using Unity. Shame I can't find a decent budget motherboard from the current B250/H270 options but I don't want the hassle of getting an older one and it potentially not working.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom