• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s Price Reduction on July 22

An overclocker needs a P35 to get any real legs out of a quad core.

P965 owners will probably get a lot more out of an E6850. Right now gamers still benefit more from mhz over extra cores. I suspect that won't change until 8-16 core cpu's arrive.

Serious question -
How great are Quad Cores?
I never play games, I usually mess with Corel Draw, Photoshop, Office, a bit of encoding etc.
Will Quad Cores be a complete waste of money for someone like me and would C2D be more realistic for my needs?

dmpoole said:
Serious question -
I never play games, I usually mess with Corel Draw, Photoshop, Office, a bit of encoding etc.
Will Quad Cores be a complete waste of money for someone like me and would C2D be more realistic for my needs?

Completely the opposite.

Quad will suit you nicely :)

dmpoole said:
Serious question -
No I'd say you'll get more out if than a gamer at the moment.

Some extra news, couldn't find it in the thread, looks like we'll see a very nice budget chip and also a 45nm chip before Christmas comes.

2 extra CPUs in Q4 2007:

E4600
Speed: 2.4 Ghz
FSB: 800 FSB
Cache: 2mb
Process: 65nm
Price: $133

Q????
Speed: Over 3 Ghz
FSB: 1333 FSB
Process: 45nm
Cache: Unknown
Price: Unknown

linky

ClubCX said:
That'll really happen? What's wrong with increasing the speed of the 4 cores we already have?

At any given point in CPU evolution from now on, I suspect doubling the number of cores will be much easier than doubling the clock speed.

ah thats no fair, i wasnt going to upgrade again till next year and now you have put the thoughts back in my mind. such tempting prices and such a large amount of money coming my way. can i resist? :confused:

ClubCX said:
That'll really happen? What's wrong with increasing the speed of the 4 cores we already have?

Apparently thats where we're headed. It think we'll probably see 8 cores late next year. At the moment, dual & quad core CPUs aren't performing as well as you'd assume, as there is an overhead attached with deciding which core to send instructions. I don't think that will level out until we see higher numbers of cores on the chips.

Also, multi core/threaded programming is much more complex than single treaded apps. Developers are having to relearn the art. We still haven't seen many properly coded games that really make use of the processing power available.

dmpoole said:
Bloody glad I read this thread because the missus has just given me permission to make a pilgimage to OCUK and buy an E6600 bundle in a couple of weeks time.

Will a Quad enable me to surf the net, download an MP3, play another MP3 and perhaps Tag another one all at the same time :) (can't wait for the purple shirt adverts).

you can do that on a single core 1ghz cpu, lol

AMDPower said:
I would personally advice to wait for G0 stepping if you are into serious overclocks, form what i have seen over at Ex forum it seems to be overclocking like mad on air, 4300mhz for a engineering sample quad, although have to say that the ES ones do seem to overclock better than retail ones.

agreed, ... retailers will be selling off their existing stock of Q6600's, so it maybe some weeks after the price drop that the new G0 steppings appear, best thing to do is check those forums which post the steppings & where they came from. No problem if your buying an E6850 or any of the C2D "50" series, they should be G0 steppings from week 1.

Scoobie Dave said:
Roll on July 22, will have to get my 6420 ready for the MM :p

I could really do with another 2 cores worth of processing power to help me with my encoding. :D
i didnt think it made that much difference does it?

Back
Top Bottom