• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s Price Reduction on July 22

Big.Wayne said:
People have been saying they don't want to pay a premium for technology that doesn't benefit them in 90%+ of tasks they do

Is it that hard for you to understand easy? are you always gonna misunderstand what people are telling you? :D

It will still be more expensive than dual core.

So what your point?

Wayne with a quad core....

Can't wait for that day :D

I was just about to buy another core 2 system for VMware(quad should be better).I guess I'll wait, though I can't imagine it's helping anyones business, Intel announcing this?

easyrider said:

So what your point?

Wayne with a quad core....

Can't wait for that day :D

If a Quad core is going to be a similar price to what an E6600 is now then why wouldn't people buy one?

And if you are on a stricter budget you can always get a super cheap E6600 :D

james.miller said:
yes, its going to be half the price of what it is now. quite obviously more people are going to want to buy it. its not that hard to understand?

Its just funny that all of a sudden quad is ok to get wether you use it or not.

So the arguement still stands.

Why buy something which is not needed?

I have said from the start that quad at 330 is worth it.

Everyone dissed it.saying stuff like

wont need it it games
who encodes anyway
we dont need dual cores even

Now everyone is changing their tune!

LOL

Just because something drops in price doesn't make it suddenly useful.

why spend the extra when a dirt cheap dual will suffice?

epeen?

Lmao!

I would like to think that INTEL are slashing the prices of Quads due to their slow take-up. Dual-Core was a lot easier sell than Quad-Core and most people just don't need that sort of tech in their desktop.

I would go as far as saying that Quad-Core is just another in the long list of marketing gimmicks but I am aware there are genuine punters out there who really do gain a lot from the extra cores.

There is also the angle that INTEL are slashing the price of the quads to really put the hurting on AMD's market share which has sadly taken a battering since Core2 Duo was unleashed!

easyrider said:
Its just funny that all of a sudden quad is ok to get wether you use it or not.

So the arguement still stands.

Why buy something which is not needed?

because it will be at a price where that peopel would happily pay for a dual. if i can justify £160 for a dual core, than i certainly can justify that price for a quad:) its really as easy as that.

Everyone dissed it.saying stuff like

wont need it it games
who encodes anyway
we dont need dual cores even

Now everyone is changing their tune!

Thats people, they do that. i never said that at the end of the day. i said it was all down to the price. you say £330 is worth it, i didnt agree. ~£160 definately is worth it:)

james.miller said:
because it will be at a price where that peopel would happily pay for a dual. if i can justify £160 for a dual core, than i certainly can justify that price for a quad:) its really as easy as that
And he will say "well why not take the price slashed Dual-Core for half that price"

If I see an effective E6600 type chip selling for £75 then I will go for that over a Q6600 at £150, thats just me though.
james.miller said:
Thats people, they do that. i never said that at the end of the day. i said it was all down to the price. you say £330 is worth it, i didnt agree. ~£160 definately is worth it :)
Well if some people have 'justified' spending £600-£700 on a Quad (like Easy did) then these people just can't resist buying the quads when they hit £300 ish, its all releative innut! :)

Well thats it, its down to what you want and what you think is a good price. as i already have an e6600, i wouldnt buy another. i didnt think about trying a cheaper c2d but really, i dont see the point. the next logical step for me would be a dual core, so when the price drop happens, i will more than likely put this up for sale and pick one up. with the sale of my e6600, it should cost me much more than £60-70. which is is a fine price to pay for another two cores:)

easyrider said:
I have said from the start that quad at 330 is worth it.

If it is worth it at this time then why are the prices halving within the next couple of months when quad-core might actually be used in more applications? :D

Big.Wayne said:
And he will say "well why not take the price slashed Dual-Core for half that price"

If I see an effective E6600 type chip selling for £75 then I will go for that over a Q6600 at £150, thats just me though.
Well if some people have 'justified' spending £600-£700 on a Quad (like Easy did) then these people just can't resist buying the quads when they hit £300 ish, its all releative innut! :)

I didn't I swapped a 6600 and cash.

I then sold the quad for 670 about 3 weeks later.

Bought a 6400 and the rest is history.

I was all on getting a xeon for 260 but I'm waiting now.

james.miller said:
i will more than likely put this up for sale and pick one up. with the sale of my e6600, it should cost me much more than £60-70. which is is a fine price to pay for another two cores:)

60 -70 is a lot for two more cores if you never use em ;)

This could be put toward another area of performance...

Afaster GFX card more ram etc... :p

james.miller said:
why do you feel the need to keep bring up this point?
because he likes to argue a point to absolute death!!

What do you guys think will really make Quad-Core a killer feature for most users?

It seems INTEL will get a Quad-Core into a lot of peoples machines by just pricing them in but I wonder what people will actually do to make use of that tech?

Back
Top Bottom