• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s Price Reduction on July 22

Worth hanging onto my "aging" AMD 939 rig until July 22nd then... :)

Prior to April I was going to get the E6600 by taking advantage of the first price drop but now I'm going to wait out until the next one. :cool: At this rate, I'll probably end up never migrating to Core2Duo. :p

Wouldn't eveyone be better off waiting until the 45nm Penryns Quad core with 1333FSB come out early next year or late this year and hang onto your E6600s??? Nothing will be using quad between now and then (unless you are a heavy encoder, etc)

it's a Core 2 Duo with 4MB Cache running at 3GHz (9x333).

As a stock CPU for someone who wants to just plug it in and have great speed with no overclocking I can see its appeal, but any 4MB Core 2 Duo chip running at 3GHz is gonna be the same, even a E6320 (cheapest 4MB chip) will be able to match that speed with some overclocking?

Big.Wayne said:
Whats the appeal of the E6580?

the appeal for me is that it gives me a guaranteed 3gig, my mobo (Intel Badaxe 1) is very poor at o/c, I don't even get volt options unless I volt mod the board, tbh if I was using a gigbyte DS3 and had my chip @ 3gig then I would'nt bother upgrading but I only ever use genuine intel motherboards, I refuse to touch anything else, as you can see from my sig @ stock volts I can only get my E6300 upto 2.6, with the E6580 on stock volts I should be able to get 3.4 which I'll be very happy with, 2.6 to 3.4 should give my 8800gtx some extra room to breath.

Last edited:
I would love to get excited about these but I will wait for the Phenoms from AMD before deciding to upgrade. People seem to be forgetting that AMD actually exist. If only AMD could release some early benchmarks.

lowrider007 said:
the appeal for me is that it gives me a guaranteed 3gig, my mobo (Intel Badaxe 1) is very poor at o/c, I don't even get volt options unless I volt mod the board
Yup can't argue with that, a simple plug in chip that will just run at 3GHz with no effort, but at what cost?

Sounds to me like you would be better off by just buying a new mobo and then selling your old one to offset the cost. You could then overclock your Core 2 Duo to 3GHz and beyond?

lowrider007 said:
I only ever use genuine intel motherboards, I refuse to touch anything else.
Hmmm interesting. I do believe you are missing out there. I can highly recommend ASUS motherboards to you, they really do know how to make the best out of an INTEL chipset. Really I am a fussy guy too and I impressed by the quality of manufacture of ASUS motherboards :)

I will be waiting for the price drops probably, but still not sure if i'll go quad, because they dont clock well and i wont use 4 cores!

The only reason would be future-proofing i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom