• Iphone 6s+ - Gold: 128gb

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Iphone 6s+ - Silver: 64gb

Votes: 23 5.9%
  • Iphone 6s+ - Silver: 128gb

Votes: 17 4.4%

• Total voters
I know where you're coming from, I've got the Nexus 6P as well as the 6S+
I'm going to write a Medium post soon about what I like more about iOS, but in a nutshell I find it to be a more reliable platform on the whole. That and the battery life on the 6S+ is nothing short of fantastic, especially under heavy use.

Be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I have no problem whatsoever with people who use iPhones I'm just yet to be convinced that the (essentially) double price you pay is worth it. I'd like to be convinced though.

Pre-material design I'd say Android was less polished but now they seem on-par. Android Material Design is beautiful IMO.

I disagree...

If you could give either of them a 10/10, then it would go to iOS.

Based on that scale, Android would get a 7/10-8/10 from me.

Android has always been a step behind iOS for usability and general user-end-point pleasurability to use.

On the flip side, Android-based devices tend to use the latest generation of hardware, with iOS a step behind as they seemingly like other people to do their beta testing for them ;)

Which happilly explains why you think the odd new android device might be that little bit quicker.

The gap is MUCH smaller than it used to be, happy to note that... but I still feel as though Android are playing the catch-up game when it comes to end-user experience.

Apple also happen to beat Microsoft in that department... but on that occasion, I prefer to use Windows 10 for my main PC as there, I want to be on the bleeding edge... but for my phone... I just want my phone to work as best it can and iOS offers the best option for that, from my personal experience.

Be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I have no problem whatsoever with people who use iPhones I'm just yet to be convinced that the (essentially) double price you pay is worth it. I'd like to be convinced though.

I don't know if it's really twice the price though... the closest comparisons available at the moment would be the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge vs Apple iPhone 6s (note: not plus).

But... 1.5x is fair.

Relatively though, consider that to be over the course of 2 years... which is the usual time to keep a phone nowadays (I miss yearly upgrades).

420 quid for the S6 Edge 64GB vs 580 quid for the 6S 64GB

works out to be 7.50/month and I would gladly pay that for the battery improvements alone, let alone any other benefit...

That price difference though is current and it seems to be less than what the S6 Edge was released for...

Yes but the S6 Edge doesn't compete with the 6 because one was released a year before the other.

I am saying, if you walk into a shop, people compare the S6 and iPhone 6s because they're the newest devices from each respective manufacturer. The iPhone 6s prices on contract for example haven't changed whatsoever whereas the S6 prices have gone down so you now get more for your money.

Yes but the S6 Edge doesn't compete with the 6 because one was released a year before the other.

I am saying, if you walk into a shop, people compare the S6 and iPhone 6s because they're the newest devices from each respective manufacturer. The iPhone 6s prices on contract for example haven't changed whatsoever whereas the S6 prices have gone down so you now get more for your money.

Samsung phones don't hold their value and do tend to get discounted quickly - if you are price sensitive then Apple's not for you but on the other hand there's a reason Samsung phones tank in value quickly...

I compare current prices. Since the iPhone price never drops I think it's fair to compare it to the S6's current £350 price.

So the iPhone is worth £269 more is it? I'm not convinced.

Irrelevant, goods are sold for what the market will bear.

Is a £150k Ferrari "three times as good" as a £50k BMW? In any measurable sense it won't be but people will happily pay the premium for the former because it's more desirable.

The iPhone is more desirable than the S6 and thus Apple can get away with charging more for it. That's just a fact I'm afraid and has little, if anything, to do with the technical differences between them.

This is all good natured at the moment but please remember that this is a thread for the new iPhone, not specifically one to compare iOS and Android. I know these sort of discussions can often get heated so this is just a reminder that we don't want it to go that way. Thanks.

Having owned both a iphone 6s plus and a Note 5 it basically comes down to a few things on which device you want.

Iphone if you want the basics and only the basics done, on average quicker and smoother then the Note, with things like the gallery.

Note if you want anything other than the basics, even simple things like gallery management/file management or even saving a simple gif is plain simple on android but laughably bad on ios.

This is all good natured at the moment but please remember that this is a thread for the new iPhone, not specifically one to compare iOS and Android. I know these sort of discussions can often get heated so this is just a reminder that we don't want it to go that way. Thanks.

To be honest I'd say its refreshing to have a intelligent conversation about both OS's on phones.

Really enjoying reading it

Just joined the iphone club again. Got myself a 6s.

Last iphone i had was a 3gs, and i was on android ever since.

Any decent apps that were not available on android i might be missing out on?

The S6 and S6 Edge were announced at the same time, they are both the "newest" offering from Samsung in that size form. The + sizes were released a bit later and compete more closely with the 6s+

The S6 actually made it to market nearly a month before the S6 Edge was available to buy...

I think most would compare the Edge to the 6s as it's the more premium look/feel of the 2x S6 offerings. That's what I did... it was a closer competition for me as it felt/looked like something special, whereas while a decent finish, the S6 just seemed rather normal.

People tend to compare the latest offering from each manufacturer, irrespective of which was released when as they have different release cycles.

The original 6 was released before the S6... Apple just happen to have beaten Samsung to market, as per their normal release cycle, in the not-too-distant future, we will likely see the S7 or whatever they call it.

The S7 will likely be a touch faster in general use than the 6s+ again... but I won't be making the switch again in a hurry as it'll just be a repeat of my 6s -> S6E -> 6s+ thing again.

Maybe I'll try again in 3+ years when Android may have caught up to iOS in general usability.

I know plenty of people who are happy with their android phones and some who most definitely favour Android over iOS... I just find subtle differences that lead me to favour iOS... happy to admit that there may not be a huge difference in it.

I've never had the need to buy an iPhone, as the Mrs has always had one, and indeed now has the 6s. I can't say I notice much difference between the 5s and the new one other than the screen size, and the fact Safari doesn't constant need to refresh web pages. There us the obvious styling differences, thinner etc, but it seems the same, same OS with a few tiny tweaks for force touch etc.

Having forked over £619 for it, versus the absolute bargain Nexus 6 I got from Amazon for £143, I certainly wouldn't say there is no comparison in value for money.

Certain people will no doubt argue that costs are irrelevant, and this only seems to be when discussing phones and laptops etc. Any where else in life value for money, along side function and form are almost measured equally.

There is no where near 4x the function, versus the cost for me, and the £450 saved will stay in the bank or invested earning interest.

Everyone has their own ideas of what is good, and that is what makes for a great debate, for me I love the Nexus 6, and can't really find fault with it presently.

Kind of when off a bit, but you get the idea, great phones bad value for money. :)

And I'm not disputing whatsoever that the iPhone is perceived as being more premium.

The price to me is irrelevant to be honest, I just personally fail to see what the iPhone gets me over Android. That's what I'd like to be convinced of.

Why I switched to iPhone and will be staying with iPhone.
  • Battery life
  • Facetime
  • iMessage
  • Updates released to all users as soon as they are released, none of this staggered release buisness of the Nexus line, or months and months later, or perhaps even never if you have a Samsung, Sony etc phone.
  • Supported for much, much longer, The 4S is still on the latest iOS release, the 4S came out in 2011.
  • Interoperability between other iOS devices, if I'm on my iPad and I get a text, phone call or a facetime call I don't have to find my phone, I can take it right there on the iPad, same goes for if I'm on my Macbook Pro.
  • Ad Blocking built right into the in built browser that works very well.
  • Apps tend to be released first, or some are even exclusive to iOS.
  • This is a big one to me, Carrier Update files. I can use Wifi Calling with an EE Sim only contract with a phone that I didn't purchase from EE, the same will go for VoLTE when it's released and any other new features added to the network, I'd be forced to use an EE branded Android device to take advantage of Wifi Calling and VoLTE with associated bloatware installed, since an unlocked unbranded Android phone wouldn't be supported.

Maybe I'll try again in 3+ years when Android may have caught up to iOS in general usability.

I'm interested in what usability features Android is missing. Personally not noticed much different between the 2 platforms, with minor difference here and there. I currently own a 6s and a Nexus 6P so have the best from both platforms.

Finally got round to picking up an Apple leather case for my iPhone 6S+, first time ever that I've damaged (small scuffs to the side of the phone) an iPhone and I've had each one since the 3.

Back
Top Bottom