iRacing

What type of PC do you need for this? Is it a demanding game? I'd be starting from scratch so would be interested in your specs to play 1080p or 3 monitor
I run a single monitor - 1920x1200 capped at 60fps, pretty much maxed (although game appears to reduce texture resolution automatically to maintain performance in races with huge grids). I'm on an aging i7 870, 8GB RAM, 1GB 560Ti. It's not demanding - a decent gaming PC built today will comfortably run it at 120fps, which many top drivers prefer.

My Q9550 seems to cap iRacing at 84fps @ 1920x1200. I've only seen it drop below that at Spa. Not bad for a mostly 6 year old PC...

(with a secondhand CPU and cheap graphics card upgrade a couple of years ago)

My Q9550 seems to cap iRacing at 84fps @ 1920x1200. I've only seen it drop below that at Spa. Not bad for a mostly 6 year old PC...

(with a secondhand CPU and cheap graphics card upgrade a couple of years ago)
That'll be iRacing's default cap. I put it down to 60, because it matches my monitor's refresh rate and looks smoother. I can cap it to 120fps, which looks equally smooth being exactly double the refresh rate, as well as having less apparent tearing, but my spec can't quite maintain 120 at all times, so the drops are jarring to my eyes, even though it's always staying above 60.

Do some laps with it capped at 60 fps then do another run with it at 84 fps and I bet you feel a difference then uncapped feels slightly better again so I think its best 100fps or so but 84 is for sure better than 60.

Maybe its just me or my pc so id be interested what you guys think about this.

The higher the framerate, the lower the latency. iRacing's unforgiving physics need as much responsiveness as possible, so if you are comfortable with it being uncapped then there's no reason to play it any other way (unless it's really jumping around a lot).

For me however, any framerate that doesn't multiply/divide nicely into 60Hz looks really odd on my screen. So only 30fps, 60fps and 120fps look smooth. Somewhere halfway between 60 and 120 looks no smoother than 30fps in my eyes, even though it's clearly more responsive, so I stick with 60. If I could maintain 120 all the time I'd do that, but I can't, so it has to be 60 for me.

I used to play everything with v-sync enabled for this reason, because it would force a 60fps cap. I'm so sensitive to this that I thought disabling v-sync actually reduced performance, because the higher framerates looked less smooth. It was quite a revelation when I realised this wasn't the case, and I was actually getting better fps without it, and I just needed to cap games manually to 60fps to give me the smoothness I enjoyed with v-sync while massively reducing lag.

Everything maxed out on triple 1080p and 7990 I can maintain about 90 fps in a full race for reference. Certainly knocking down the detail level helps and I too have heard that you need to be aiming for around 84+ FPS.

I thought I was alright at racing sims 'til I got the skip barber..turns out I suck!

I've spent quite a while with it in practice and I don't think I've even done a clean lap yet, it is agonizingly difficult! The series is on Laguna Seca at the mo so I've been on that. I can take it all at a half decent pace until that long downhill left hander after corkscrew, whatever I do I spin there. I hate to give up on things but this is getting close..

I thought I was alright at racing sims 'til I got the skip barber..turns out I suck!

I've spent quite a while with it in practice and I don't think I've even done a clean lap yet, it is agonizingly difficult! The series is on Laguna Seca at the mo so I've been on that. I can take it all at a half decent pace until that long downhill left hander after corkscrew, whatever I do I spin there. I hate to give up on things but this is getting close..

:D, feel the same myself with some of the cars. Definately takes some serious effort to get good as this sim. Stick with it, don't let it beat you.

Made the mistake of going back into Street Stocks :(

My tip to get your Oval D License. Stay clear of Street Stocks and go Legends instead as the racers there tend not to be all rookies but people that actually want to race.

Legends 90% clean races
Street Stocks 10% clean races.

Enough said.
I thought once you made class D oval that applies to all ovals?

Does anyone wanna do some sort of practice session with me and maybe even coach me a little? :p I'm so bad at this game, constantly spinning and stuff, but it's fun!

Does anyone wanna do some sort of practice session with me and maybe even coach me a little? :p I'm so bad at this game, constantly spinning and stuff, but it's fun!

what car / track are you using, could jump into a session with you sometime, not that I am any expert, just got out of rookie oval this week and still rookie race. Add Steve Allan to your friends list.

Back
Top Bottom