iRacing

Soldato
Managed to get myself out of Rookies, took me quite a while to get my laptime down in the MX5

Managed a couple of good finishes in my races too

Had a couple of Skippy races at Interlagos this week, was running 3rd and was within a second of 1st and 2nd when I spun it 4 laps from the end. So frustrating but I can only blame myself really

Also done a couple of races in the CTS-V at Road Atlanta. Forgot I had cold tyres and spun it going over the hill on the 1st lap chasing 4th

Think I'll leave those two tracks now and focus on practicing for the next two tracks

It is worrying how addictive this game is!

Pretty much teh same as you mate.. Been running in the ovals for a while now. Man I love the indycars on the ovals, the overtaking is awesome and going round the oval bends at 210mph with a guy inches from your outside wheels is nerve wracking..

So I had a few races at interlagos after struggling to get out of rookies, mainly because of idiots hitting me while trying to be Nigel Mansell on the first lap. Have to say the skippy when you get it right is an excellent little car, it is def a drivers car. Again though, still getting taken out by the boy racers going into corner 1 at 100mph. 4 races and I still to have a clean one because of getting hit. Need to get up to C class to get into gt3.

Man of Honour
You still get idiots in GT3.

Well they aren't idiots, they just have no race craft.

Because of this, you can only race with guys who you've been lapping close to for a good few laps. You both know you aren't going to to dive bomb and you'll both wait for an overtaking chance. Not just throw one up the inside and hope for the best. If you see another driver trying to do it to you then let them by and give them room. They'll either sail by and take themselves out. Or you'll pass them as they rally through the gravel trap. Because they might be a touch quicker than you, but they don't have the consistency to make it to the finish without binning it.

All the old sayings apply more in iRacing, because it's sim racing and it's amateurs.

To finish first, first you have to finish.

You can't win it in the first corner, only loose.

Etc, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a couple of really good battles so far in the skip but I've had more cases of idiots who just decide to throw it up the inside from miles away when they clearly aren't going to make the move stick or just turn in on you when you're alongside

But when you're racing hard wheel to wheel it is great fun

Soldato
I'm doing nothing at the moment after my graphics card died ... it's waiting an RMA back to the manufacturer from our gracious forum hosts. I think the Mac will be getting Boot Camped windows installed, so I can at least league race this Thursday.

Would happen as the league just got a slot on Motors TV, and I'm doing OK results wise...

Last edited:
Soldato
Still really struggling in the Skippy. I am doing 1.55s at Brazil, best ever time is a 1.53.5. Any advice on sriving the skippy?
Anyone with a g27 tell me what their braking force is on the Skippy, just cant find a comfortable position.

Also, ordered the nixim brake mod, so hopefully that will help me?

Soldato
Not got my gaming pc setup (still) in the new house so can't help with settings but in general the Skippy rewards smoothness, that and braking the 'right' way.

Braking wise it helps massively to left foot brake and leave just a little bit of throttle on, don't need as much at high speeds but if you find you're locking the rears it's easier to find the balance when you can modulate both brake and throttle pedals.

Smoothness it's much more exaggerated in the skippy compared to most other cars, everything you do for a corner needs to be smooth, too much on any input and it will at best slow you down and worst cause a slide/understeer.

On that note, any understeer in higher speed corners will compromise the laptime a lot due to lack of power, turn up the volume and try to listen out for the tyres and work on ensuring you never hear the tyre slipping/sliding sound through understeer.

Associate
Had another race at Interlagos in the Skippy last night, was having a great race fighting for 3rd until about lap 10 when I lost the rear end into the first corner

I think something must be wrong with my setup, I wonder if I am overheating the rear tyres and the back end gets loose later in the race. I always seem to have better pace than the cars in front of me early on as well

Anyone else had this problem?

Soldato
Not got my gaming pc setup (still) in the new house so can't help with settings but in general the Skippy rewards smoothness, that and braking the 'right' way.

Braking wise it helps massively to left foot brake and leave just a little bit of throttle on, don't need as much at high speeds but if you find you're locking the rears it's easier to find the balance when you can modulate both brake and throttle pedals.

Smoothness it's much more exaggerated in the skippy compared to most other cars, everything you do for a corner needs to be smooth, too much on any input and it will at best slow you down and worst cause a slide/understeer.

On that note, any understeer in higher speed corners will compromise the laptime a lot due to lack of power, turn up the volume and try to listen out for the tyres and work on ensuring you never hear the tyre slipping/sliding sound through understeer.

Took your advice mate. Got my race time down to 1.53.2, ran a few laps together around 1.53.4 and a few later on just in to the 1.54s. Much much better all around.

Now that I have relearned interlagos, its time for summit point :)

WIll probably take me a few days to even learn the track layout..

Associate
The kit is from a UK guy who has designed an all in one controller board for an OSW project, a lot of the wiring is pre done too.

Pic of whats included in the kit
20484114705_a48b85848c_c.jpg

"It consists of
The small MiGE motor

600W Mean Well PSU

A custom motherboard with consolidation features that minimize the wiring requirements

An IONI Pro servo drive controller that plugs into a designated slot on the custom motherboard

Pre-assembled power cable that plugs into the custom motherboard and small MiGE

Pre-assembled encoder cable that plugs into the custom motherboard and small MiGE

Pre-wired Emergency Stop unit that plugs into the custom motherboard

Pre-wired Enable switch that plugs into the custom motherboard

Pre-terminated power cables that plug into the custom motherboard and are screwed into the DC outputs of the PSU

IEC Line Filter, fuse, ON/OF switch combination with cables to be screwed into the AC inputs of the PSU

An adjustable motor mount

A motor shaft to steering wheel adapter

A 2M Mini USB cable

A 2M Micro USB Cable

(Motherboard not pictured)

Detailed instructions for assembly of the above

Tools required
Phillips screwdriver

Allen Key set

8mm & 13mm spanners

Items you need to supply
A 70mm PCD 6 hole steering wheel or quick release unit

A suitable enclosure of your choice (The custom motherboard is Mini-ITX format so fits easily in many Mini-ITX cases, the Cooler Master Elite 110 being one)

A suitable IEC AC power cable for your location (standard PC power lead)"

I've already ordered a recommended QR and shifter paddles, I think the only thing I'll change in the kit is the wheel adapter to one from a guy called Brett Stiles.
20295920190_5094062ef0_c.jpg

20490310621_ddfbeb5d8d_c.jpg

20484039065_00791bd919_c.jpg

On a side note, Howler could it be the fuel burning off in a race? I presume it's located over the mid/rear wheels?

Last edited:
Associate
On a side note, Howler could it be the fuel burning off in a race? I presume it's located over the mid/rear wheels?

I guess it could be that but I wouldn't have thought it would cause that much of an inbalance. Maybe I'm being a bit too keen

I think I will go back to the baseline setup and see if I still get the issue, that said the track changes to Summit Point today so I need to get learning that

Associate
£725 for the kit

Extras:
Case: about £45
Quick release £120
Wheel £World is your oyster here. Although to keep costs down you could just mount any 70mm PCD wheel straight to the motor adapter with no buttons etc.

Man of Honour
Wow, that's only a bit more than the Fanatec CSW V2.

What you spend on the extras is on a par with the price of the required Fanatec wheel rim.

You've just opened a whole new can of worms now.

Associate
Indeed, performance when compared to a Fanatec item should be night and day for not a lot more outlay. I think this could be done for under £900 with a semi decent wheel so there is no flex. I've read reports from people who have it mounted to an Obutto with no issues too, hence upgrading this before the rig.

Associate
Yea, the wiring & soldering would have put me off this. I'll report on the kit when I build it all.

By the way, the set you gave me for the Aston, I managed a PB of 18.95 in the end although I never got a chance to race, nice work on the setup!

Associate
I've also upgraded to a GTX 980 TI, my 970 wasn't cutting it powering three screens.

Hi, what you running three screen wise? 5760 x 1080?

I'm still running a 7850 on triples but thinking its time to upgrade as it does lag from time to time... Did you notice a big leap between the 970 and 980TI?

Man of Honour
Hi, what you running three screen wise? 5760 x 1080?

I'm still running a 7850 on triples but thinking its time to upgrade as it does lag from time to time... Did you notice a big leap between the 970 and 980TI?

Yes 5760x1080

The main difference is I don't tend to drop frames at tracks that are known to have issues. Like the hairpin at Spa when you turn onto the pit straight. I can also force much higher levels of AA through the driver which.

It still can't get iRacing to get anywhere near 100% GPU usage. With the game fully maxed in game and a few driver tweaks it's still only around 70%.

In other games I can now run Assetto Corsa fully maxed out with a full grid of AI across three screens and also pCARS at a much higher level of eye candy than before. With pCARS I was basically running the game minim settings to get a playable frame rate across three screens. Now I'm maxed out, apart from AA at x2 and grass off.

You've got to consider that three 1080p screens is 75% of a 4k resolution, so you need a very high end card to enable high levels of eye candy.

Associate
How did the 970 perform in AC mate on tripples. Just out of interest. I'm able to run it flat out at 1200p 4xaa 16x af

Would be interested to know how much better the performance was, how much Vram was being used etc.

Back
Top Bottom