iRacing

Man of Honour
I ran AC maxed out on most settings.

The exceptions were:

AA x 2
Reflections static
Smoke normal
No smoke in mirrors, but I still have that off.
Cube map resolution was low, I think.

I might have had shadows on normal or medium, which ever it is as well.

Those settings would give me 60 FPS with v sync on.

Motion blur is off because it's not compatible with triple screens.

Soldato
Just won my first road and Skippy race, still shaking with adrenaline here lol ...

Three of us managed to get a great gap at the start, of around 2,5 seconds so it took the pressure of us a bit. Sitting in second on the third lap and the leader by 0.8 went off due to a frozen pc. Left me and another to battle it out, managed to do every lap a 1.22, usually around 1.22.3. Which fo rme is great, considering I just started driving the skippy On Sunday and have never driven summit point before yesterday.

So close to getting a 1.21, fastest lap was a 1.22.068..

Loving the skippy.... :)

Man of Honour
Well done on the win.

Replacement seat is on its way direct from China. Expected to arrive on Monday. So basically two weeks to get it sorted. Pretty happy with Obutto's customer service.

Associate
The kit is from a UK guy who has designed an all in one controller board for an OSW project, a lot of the wiring is pre done too.

Pic of whats included in the kit
20484114705_a48b85848c_c.jpg

"It consists of
The small MiGE motor

600W Mean Well PSU

A custom motherboard with consolidation features that minimize the wiring requirements

An IONI Pro servo drive controller that plugs into a designated slot on the custom motherboard

Pre-assembled power cable that plugs into the custom motherboard and small MiGE

Pre-assembled encoder cable that plugs into the custom motherboard and small MiGE

Pre-wired Emergency Stop unit that plugs into the custom motherboard

Pre-wired Enable switch that plugs into the custom motherboard

Pre-terminated power cables that plug into the custom motherboard and are screwed into the DC outputs of the PSU

IEC Line Filter, fuse, ON/OF switch combination with cables to be screwed into the AC inputs of the PSU

An adjustable motor mount

A motor shaft to steering wheel adapter

A 2M Mini USB cable

A 2M Micro USB Cable

(Motherboard not pictured)

Detailed instructions for assembly of the above

Tools required
Phillips screwdriver

Allen Key set

8mm & 13mm spanners

Items you need to supply
A 70mm PCD 6 hole steering wheel or quick release unit

A suitable enclosure of your choice (The custom motherboard is Mini-ITX format so fits easily in many Mini-ITX cases, the Cooler Master Elite 110 being one)

A suitable IEC AC power cable for your location (standard PC power lead)"

I've already ordered a recommended QR and shifter paddles, I think the only thing I'll change in the kit is the wheel adapter to one from a guy called Brett Stiles.
20295920190_5094062ef0_c.jpg

20490310621_ddfbeb5d8d_c.jpg

20484039065_00791bd919_c.jpg

On a side note, Howler could it be the fuel burning off in a race? I presume it's located over the mid/rear wheels?

Hi Muska,

That kit looks great value. I had been looking at the OSW openWheelPremium, albeit with a Lenze and Granite Devices Argon driver, but gagging at the cost.

http://ib-reimer.de/index.php/en/products/osw-premium-en

Could you give us more detail on whom you sourced the kit from?

Cheers!

Soldato
Currently class C on the road side. What would you guys recommend to drive to get to class B?

Driving the skippy at the moment, so I don't know if I should stick to the formula type cars (star mazda) or go GT route, maybe the Ruf Cup?

Any advice?

Man of Honour
Personally I'd stick with the Skippy, what you learn in the Skippy will help you an awful lot in any class you progress to.

I like the Star Mazda, but it's very hard for me to get anywhere near a reasonably competitive time in it at any track.

The RUF is a very tricky car in my opinion, certainly harder to be fast and consistent in compared to the GT3 RUF and the other GT3 cars.

In real life you get gentlemen drivers competing against professional in GT cars. You don't get that in single seaters. So I'd say even in sim racing, single seaters require more skill than tin tops.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, the wiring & soldering would have put me off this. I'll report on the kit when I build it all.

By the way, the set you gave me for the Aston, I managed a PB of 18.95 in the end although I never got a chance to race, nice work on the setup!

Managed to get in touch with Ollie at sim-pli regarding the kit. Look forward to your feedback and thoughts on the OSW, ease of build and setup, and how it all comes together with the Obutto. Enjoy!

Associate
I was just coming here to post that it's Ollie you need to speak to (find a few links to his kit etc on page 66 of the Bruteforce2 thread on the iRacing forums)

I'd be glad to post plenty of thoughts, on the build etc. I'm currently looking into mounting the Obutto wheel plate upside down with the servo motor underneath as I find it a little high currently with my CSW V1. Someone has already done it with a DD wheel and I'm just trying to find out how it has worked for them.

These arrived yesterday for my wheel build.

https://instagram.com/p/6W24QcHtvf/?taken-by=uncsomeone

I'm still in talks with Sam Maxwell to work out exactly what I'd like/can afford!

Soldato
My first ever pole to line win.

Made a couple of mistakes the first couple of corners though. Still not the smoothest, but getting there in certain parts. Hate corner 3, going uphill off camber just kills me..

Video is ultrawidescreen 3440x1440.

Oh, has anyone ordered anything from Nixim lately, ordered a brake spring last week and nothing yet, also hasn't repsonded to an email I sent a few days ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps Nixim are on holiday, I bought from their ebay shop ages ago now but the service was good.

Well done on the win, interesting line into T1, I thought you would have moved over to the left for the fastest line.

Picked up a win myself earlier, first race I've had for ages and a class win (RUF C-Spec) in IMSA @ Daytona road. :)

Soldato
He's probably on holiday. Nixim is a one man band who sells the mod stuff that he makes himself and runs a Sim Racing event place out of an industrial unit.

Ironically I ordered a brake spring from him in January and co-incidenally went to a Racing event a mate had organised there a few days later. When I twigged, he said the last batch had been posted the day before... and it arrived a couple of days later.

Having driven on his modified pedals the mod is well worthwhile. I never got around to fitting mine, someone offered me some cheap Fanatec ClubSports a couple of weeks later.

Associate
I was just coming here to post that it's Ollie you need to speak to (find a few links to his kit etc on page 66 of the Bruteforce2 thread on the iRacing forums)

I'd be glad to post plenty of thoughts, on the build etc. I'm currently looking into mounting the Obutto wheel plate upside down with the servo motor underneath as I find it a little high currently with my CSW V1. Someone has already done it with a DD wheel and I'm just trying to find out how it has worked for them.

These arrived yesterday for my wheel build.

https://instagram.com/p/6W24QcHtvf/?taken-by=uncsomeone

I'm still in talks with Sam Maxwell to work out exactly what I'd like/can afford!

After all my weeks of "blah blah" i've just gone and pulled the trigger on an OSW from Ollie, and a steering wheel from Sam. Did I hear someone say sim racing can get expensive!?

Following in your footsteps Muska. Just need to decide on a cockpit and pedals. Plus upgrade the PC! Hoping it'll be a nice fun xmas with this setup.

Associate
Glad to hear it, are you in the October batch too?

If I was building again now I would definitely go for an 8020 rig over something pre built, it's very easy to work with and very easy to customize in the future.

What wheel are you going for?

Associate
October batch for OSW, large Mige. 9 weeks out on steering wheel from Sam.

Going for the Momo Mod 30 320. Wanting the SimInstruments display, discontinued at moment whilst they complete dev of the dash 2.0. i can wait a little longer if need be.

Would like an 8020 rig but would need to source a kit - dont have the time, tools, space. Also living in swiss does not help with easy access to materials. Spoke to JCL (just be faster) about them custom building a keyboard tray like the one you pisted earlier - they didnt seem interested, so still thinking on cockpit options.

Last edited:
Associate
9 weeks, damn, I've not ordered mine yet, still deciding on the exact layout I want. I think I'm nearly there though.

Regarding the SimInstruments dash, I would try and get hold of a second hand one, they've been saying the new one is coming for over 6 months now and they've gone silent again, I can't get a response on twitter/email/forums at all...

The 8020 is pretty easy to put together, it comes pre cut so it's just a case of putting the fixings on to build it up, you only need a spanner or allen key.
You could seek out 4PLAY Racing on eBay, they're not from the UK but I'm sure they would be up to spec you the rig you want. I'm not sure of any iRacing forum members who would offer that service.

Man of Honour
Replacement seat for the Obutto arrived Monday and is now fitted.

Two weeks to get a replacement with no questions asked is good going for a small company. A few emails and a video showing the problem was all it took for the guys at Obutto to sort me out.

Obviously I would've preferred not to have to have the seat replaced at all, I'm assuming I was just unlucky and the new seat gives me years of service.

It was shipped direct from China and actually only took 3 days to arrive.

Would've jumped back on iRacing this week, but GT3 at Mosport or the Skippy at Spa makes no sense to me and so I think I'll give it a miss.

Back
Top Bottom