iRacing

Man of Honour
It's about time they sorted performance issues at certain corners on certain tracks as well.

It's a bit galling that I can max out AC across three screens and get constant 60FPS but iRacing still stutters on the same corners it always has.

Associate
yea t1 spa,exit of parabolica and under the bridge going into t2-3 at motegi.

thing is its not like its taxing the system,im using less than 50% of the cpu and anywhere between 25 and 60% of the gpu,mostly well under 50% most of the time using triples and rendered seperate

Man of Honour
yea t1 spa,exit of parabolica and under the bridge going into t2-3 at motegi.

thing is its not like its taxing the system,im using less than 50% of the cpu and anywhere between 25 and 60% of the gpu,mostly well under 50% most of the time using triples and rendered seperate

Exactly the same for me with 980ti.

I've tried overriding some of the in game settings through he driver and still can't get GPU and CPU usage anywhere near 75%, let alone full utilisation. I also have issues if I don't enable V sync. The game can be running at over 100 FPS, but feels very jerky, not smooth at all. Yet I can run other games at frame rates above 60 FPS and the game runs smooth.

Last edited:
Associate
Just downloaded this and took an MX5 cup for a spin. Driving with Xbox controller - total waste of time. Any recommendations for a decent wheel / pedal starter? Don't really want to fork out hundreds for the bling stuff yet....

Associate
if its stuttering turn off dynamic track data and try with the frame queuing unticked in the graphics options,restart the sim and see how it goes,that stopped most of the stutters for me.

Man of Honour
Just downloaded this and took an MX5 cup for a spin. Driving with Xbox controller - total waste of time. Any recommendations for a decent wheel / pedal starter? Don't really want to fork out hundreds for the bling stuff yet....

Second hand Logitech DFGT or Thustmaster F458.

Shouldn't be anymore than about £40 sexondhand, I think they are both in the £70-80 mark new.

That's about the cheapest way to find out if sim racing is for you.

Man of Honour
if its stuttering turn off dynamic track data and try with the frame queuing unticked in the graphics options,restart the sim and see how it goes,that stopped most of the stutters for me.

I had stuttering without v sync before the dynamic track date was an option and already tried frame queuing on and off. If I have to turn anymore options down, I may as well play Geoff Crammond's GP4.:D

Soldato
Exactly the same for me with 980ti.

I've tried overriding some of the in game settings through he driver and still can't get GPU and CPU usage anywhere near 75%, let alone full utilisation. I also have issues if I don't enable V sync. The game can be running at over 100 FPS, but feels very jerky, not smooth at all. Yet I can run other games at frame rates above 60 FPS and the game runs smooth.
I had the same issues with my 980. At the start of this week COTA was undriveable for me. Even though my FPS wasn't dipping below ~75 at the top of T1 it was jerky as hell whenever there was a big fluctuation in FPS. I reluctantly enabled vsync and it's now as smooth as butter @60fps. I don't like running with vsync but if it works, it works.

This may be due to the monitor though, as my old single Dell used to flicker at anything under ~85fps, whereas my triple BenQs running nvidia surround are quite happy at 59/60. For reference my machine is a i7 3900 with a 980 and 16Gb.

Last edited:
Associate
Heard a lot of complaints about the weather issue, I've hardly raced this week due to being away

Did a couple of Skippy races last night and didn't notice anything odd

Going to do my first RUF race tonight, looking forward to seeing how that goes

Associate
Not a great night for me in the c spec

First race started 4rd, got a rubbish start and lost a few places. Seemed to be running well until the back end got away from me and went down to last place. Clawed some places back and was right on the bumper of the next car with only a few laps to go only to get too keen on the gas out of the hairpin and stuffed it into the wall which meant race over

Next race I started second, another slow start but was having a good battle for 3rd/4th for a for laps until I got rolled when someone was up the inside of me. I thought I'd left enough room but maybe I didn't or maybe he ran a bit wide

Still, enjoyed racing the c spec though, racing was clean and close. What is the best way to launch though? Just dumping the clutch doesn't seem to work so I'm guessing the clutch needs feeding in?

Did a skippy race as well, got stung by that damn slow down on T2 though on the first lap which sent me to the back, had good fun fighting back up through the field though

Associate
There is a technique for launching the C-Spec where you release the clutch completely and immediately reapply and release it as fast as possible, this stops the revs bogging down and makes a big difference to your start. You'll notice the difference on the grid.

Man of Honour
Not feeling the love at the minute, I reckon I've lost 500 iRating in the last week of racing. Every single race some numpty has put his car in unavoidable places that ended up in contact. Each time forcing me to pit for repairs, most of the time in a perfectly drivable car.

Soldato
Just realised how much I hate lime rock. First ever disqualification, 17 Inc in one race, of course I was hit at corner one which bumped me into the guy in front, gave me 6x at the first corner, kinda just lost concentration after that and marked up too many off course... Absolutely gutted about it at the time...

So wih that in mind, I bought he Porsche last week, anyone got any tips on driving it? It's either the Porsche this week or go to Michigan in the indycars.

Thanks

Man of Honour
The biggest problem with Lime Rock is everyone knows it so well, so most of the lap times are close all the way down the field. This means you need drivers who can run in traffic very close together. Since it's a C licence car, you always get C licence drivers who can do a quick lap but aren't used to actual racing. This then causes the pile ups. You also get the idiots who think they can pass at corner, rather than waiting to make a clean pass.

The race I was in last night had 15 drivers covered by just 1 second in qualifying.

The C Spec requires a driving talent I just don't have. I tried it again last night at Monza and after a couple of laps of learning I thought I was into a groove. Then as I accelerate through the exit of Parabolica, the back just drifts away and I'm in a spin. Couldn't feel it getting loose at all.

The GT3 car is far more forgiving and I probably prefer it out of all the GT3 cars when I can find a set up I like. I had one a few seasons back that really worked for me, but as soon as the service is updated all the setups become invalid. I don't have the knowledge or time to sort my own set ups. So I just trial and error set ups other drivers make.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom