iRacing

Soldato
Guys
I'm sure somewhere in this thread there is a link and video of a full motion simulator hat is travelling around shopping centres in the UK. Might even be in the pcars thread.
Anyone able to find it for me?

Many thanks

Associate
Is anyone planning on running in the early world cup rounds?

I think the previous champions (Finns) have played a blinder choosing the DW12 at Suzuka. I can barely string together 2 laps without losing the back end!

I should be building my OSW before the end of the month. I'll get a shot of all the parts together later, I'm only waiting on the PSU coming from America now and I can get cracking.

Soldato
I bought the DW12 a few months ago and last night was the first time I tried it properly. It's a real Pepperami car. When the tyres are cold it's lethal - the snap oversteer comes from nowhere. I had trouble keeping it on track through Dunlop especially. Once it's up to temp it's manageable but you really have to concentrate and be gentle in your corrections.

In the practice session Alex Simpson posted a good qualifying set, I think it's on the forum now. He was in the low 36s with it. My optimal was a high 37, but I could barely string a lap together. Despite all the downforce you really have to be careful of the understeer on corner entry.

I'm in two minds whether to run in the events or not, assuming they're official. It'll be suicide for iR and SR :eek:

Associate
I don't think the events are official, they're all private from what I read, so no danger there. If I remember correctly they're 45minute races, so just finishing might be an achievement in itself!

I'm miles off the pace at the minute then, optimal of a low 43!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Is there anywhere else to look out for a decent second hand wheel apart from the usual mainsteam sites?

I had a Fanatec CSR with the Elite pedals for a while till mid last year and really reget selling them but I'm a poor man and can't afford much.

After those I don't think a G27 would really cut it with the noisy notchy FFB. T300 is tempting but used is rare and new they're £220 + another £80 to replace the hopeless pedals with slightly better ones (with a clutch) and then the shifter is another extra (although not totally bothered about that).

Guess I'm just impatient and should save and keep an eye out on here and the usual sites ,although second hand they don't go cheap!

Associate
Upgraded to 3 screens last night, was a bit of a faff as the middle screen is a different size and res to the others

Had to use SoftTH in order to get it to display correctly but it's nice to have the side windows now! Only did about 30 mins driving with it last night so still getting used to it

I've been racing in GT3's this last week using the BMW, has been really good fun and clean racing, I'll be running GT3's and the skippy now I think. Didn't bother with the skip this week as I don't know VIR and couldn't be bothered to try and learn such a massive track!

Associate
DUP, I'm on the cusp of being ready to sell my Fanatec v1 base and Porsche rim.

Things often turn up in the iracing UK&I classifieds or try your luck with eBay perhaps.

Congrats Howler, you'll never want to go back now!

Soldato
Check th eiracing forums, UK Classified section..

Just got a ts500, hardly used with a spare rim including 48 delivery from cornwall to glasgow for £220..

Absolute bargain. Just need to sell my G27 with SLI and i'll recoup what I paid for it easily....

Associate
AMD or nVidia? Eyefinity on the latest cards happily does mixed aspects and resolutions. Chops the bottom few pixels off my side screens which are 4:3, but as the screens were free I ain't complaining!

nVidia sadly so it has to have them all the same size or it distorts the res on the larger screen

I'm using SoftTH at the moment which seems to be doing the job

Associate
Inside the spoiler tag is quite a lengthy post about starting to put my OSW build together, rather than fill a page I'll keep it a bit more concise.

I'm just starting the build for my OSW today. Small steps first as I'm waiting on the PSU arriving from America (before the weekend it looks like) and I have to pick up some wire for the build.

So far these are the parts I have acquired:

22336684216_e8920b2816_c.jpg

(Yes, the Mrs has given me grief about taking over the table!)

That is everything apart from the PSU & wheel rim (I just got an email from Sam Maxwell today that I'm next on his build list)

I wont name everything but the IONI parts are front left on the bubble wrap, discovery board on the left side (a spare is behind it) various electronic parts & ferrite cores and the servo & cables are at the back.

There are two cables for the servo, one for power and the other is called the encoder cable and it has 15 wires inside it. Today I've soldered a 15 pin D-Sub plug & housing onto the open end, so it can be connected or removed from the housing easily. Before the soldering started though I had to make sure the wires I would solder to the D-Sub plug would match the encoder end, to do this the continuity was checked for each wire and I marked down which pin each colour represented.

22349626612_f2c41fccb0_c.jpg

22362711615_d4f5aa7534_c.jpg

I must admit that I was a bit nervous at soldering again, I've not done it since messing around at school some 20 years ago! A quick refresher video and it was nice and easy.

22175141630_b81805f859_c.jpg

With that complete I checked the continuity on the pins again and all was good. Next I decided to start taking a look at the Cooler Master 130 case, to get an idea how things will mount. It might take a little fettling, and I've removed the internal wiring harness as I wont be needing that but everything will fit with ease. The only other thing I've done today is flash the correct hex file to the discovery board, as simple as plugging it in via USB and running a utility program.

Next stage will be wiring the PSU and measuring and 'tinning' wiring for the rest of the build. If you want to see the rest of the build here let me know.

Associate
Nice one Muska, bet you cant wait to get that up and running.

Ive had my 8020 rig built for a month, my Heusinkveld pedals installed 2 weeks ago, my Sam Maxwell wheel delivered a month ago, and today I await delivery of the final piece of the puzzle, my Lenze kit from Dennis reimer. Rather excited, come on UPS!!!!

Associate
Nice one Muska, bet you cant wait to get that up and running.

Ive had my 8020 rig built for a month, my Heusinkveld pedals installed 2 weeks ago, my Sam Maxwell wheel delivered a month ago, and today I await delivery of the final piece of the puzzle, my Lenze kit from Dennis reimer. Rather excited, come on UPS!!!!

Do you have any details of your 80/20 build?

Associate
I did go with the JCL in the end - expensive yes, but top drawer quality. Just waiting for them to bring out an articulated keyboard tray (in black), they tell me by end of this week.

Ive been trying to play iRacing and Assetto Corsa with an xbox one pad, and just find it very difficult as I cant feel the tyre grip. Finges crossed I get the OSW up and running tonight, it'll be like xmas come early. Hope to see you guys on the track soon!

Associate
My Sam maxwell was one of the recent ones posted on the iRacing sam maxwell thread, with the dash 1.0 and knitter buttons, where there were quite a few pics of both front, and then back showing Q1R release. Sam did a great job, love that wheel!

Last edited:
Associate
Ha, small world but I think it was me who sold you the SimInstruments dash :)

I can't wait to receive mine.

You're right about JCL, I didn't realize that they custom made so many parts, and like you say, to such a high quality. Did you go for the black coating on the 8020?

Back
Top Bottom