iRacing

Soldato
LOL, my iRating was terrible until recently. It's improved with committing to a couple of official series and doing proper practise. Before that I was mainly doing hosted only and dipping into the odd official race without enough practise and inevitably doing badly.

I'm racing in the BSRTC. It's been an ... experience. ;)

Soldato
-162 iRating in one race because the pole-sitter was trying to gun it before the safety car went in and caused a pile up. Didn't even make it to the start line, let alone turn 1.

I hate this game sometimes...

Know the feeling mate, pole at Spa.

Knew i was going to get nailed along the straight, managed to hold second place until the esses then I got tagged or touched and spun, 2.30 to tow me back.

Came out 14th and finished 6th...

Man of Honour
Wheel and pedals set up, need to get the drill out tomorrow for the shifter.

Tried iRacing on PC, AC didn't want to play now I'm on Windows 10.

All I can say is, wow, again. Worth every penny. The FFB delivery is so smooth and detailed. It's just a whole another level compared to the T500.

The difference between the V2 and V3 pedals is noticeable too. The extra resolution gives more control and the brake feels even more realistic. The pedal extensions are a pain to fit. There's almost no clearance to secure the four side bolts of the extensions with the rumble motor fitted as well. Obviously it does all fit, but it's extremely fiddly.

Add that to the other minor improvements and the fact that, if you are going to use the V2 base and V3 pedals on a console you get 10bit resolution pedals as opposed to 8bit with the V2 base and V2, V1, CSR pedals.

I love the BMW rim, it's just ace.

Not sure about how the FFB is delivered on the Xbox One in Forza 6 though. It's certainly different to any racing game I've played before, but far better than using a pad.

More testing tomorrow on PC and probably some pics as well.

Soldato
I spent an hour earlier with a BTCC car on FM6. The feedback is good, but it's nowhere near as detailed as iRacing. There's still a knife edge feeling to it when it suddenly goes without much if any warning. Pedals are a massive improvement (even my CSP v1). The brake trigger on the controller compared to the 360/FM2-4 is very lightly sprung and sensitive even with the additional rumble motor feedback. The pedals just work.

My laptimes are still a bit off the controller (assuming I don't lock up a brake and crash). I'm a second behind at Road Atlanta full over what I was doing earlier in the week.

What are your thoughts on the Xbox rim barmy?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Xbox One rim is probably on a par with most of the Thrusmaster rims in terms of build quality and feel in your hands. The LED display and shift lights didn't work for me. Don't know if that's because I've only played the demo so far. Maybe the FFB has been improved or tweaked in the full game, which is still in the cellophane on the shelf at the moment.

Soldato
Display and shift lights don't work in the full game for me. Fine in iRacing though.

I will try with something faster tomorrow, like the '88 McLaren Honda. That was a proper handful on the controller.

Man of Honour
Shifter is mounted now.

Now that I like. :D:D

I thought the TH8 RS was good. But, again, this is even better. It is more or less twice the price, but I think it's twice as good. So much easier to go up and down the gears. No faffing around to switch between H pattern and sequential, which for me is the biggest selling point.

Although you could get 2 TH8 shifters for the same money and have one in H pattern and the other in sequential.

And the rumble on the pedals adds even more emersion, I really like it.

As a whole package I've spent more or less £1200 for the V2 base, V3 pedals, BMW rim, CSL Xbox One rim and the CS Shifter SQ 1.5.

Money well spent and I'm very happy with my purchase.

As long as I don't have any built quality issues then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending any of the Fanatec hardware.

I suppose the main issue is they have no competition really. Thrustmaster hardware is very good, but cheaper and not as good. The next step after Fanatec is direct drive wheels with either DSD, Heusinkveld or similar pedals.

Maybe a step too far for my wallet, but never say never.

Associate
Glad you like the shifter! :D Next step up again is like 3x the price and I am struggling to see what it can offer over this one.

So is it gloves or no gloves on the suede?! ;)

Man of Honour
Got AC working under Windows 10. FFB is probably the best of all the games I've tried so far. FFB in pCARS was a bit weak and vague in places, but the pedal motors work without any extra software.

Just done a practice session in the Skippy with Fanaleds installed. That really enhances what is already a fantastic experience.

I love this new kit. Although it does make me wonder, if what I have is this good. How good must a DD wheel and super hi end pedals be?

Associate
Going from G27 pedals to V2's was a huge jump for me. Moving to the HE's was nice as they're so, so solid. It really adds to the immersion and braking consistency is much better now. I also like the pedal travel that simulates brake pad to disc distance.

CSW v1 to DD is totally different, there are forces now that you don't get with other wheels. I would never have guessed it but if I had to showcase the wheel it would be the HPD @ Spa. That car used to be so lifeless and dull, now, you feel everything. I can show you bumps and feeling on tracks that never existed before.

Barmy, you're welcome to try mine out for yourself sometime.

I got PCars working well again, a little tweaking and its about where it was before, not the best for ffb but plenty enjoyable. I rate the sims I have tried so far: iRacing (by a good margin) AC (huge improvement for me since DD) then PCars. I still have Raceroom, Stockcar extreme, rfactor & Dirt Rally to try out. The ffb is that clear in iRacing, and feels unique to each car, from a V8SC, to a GT3 and open wheeler etc. I think I could guess what I was driving if blindfolded, each can feels that unique.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom