iRacing

Associate
Sold my rig a couple of months ago.

Man do I regret that decision!

Coming back at the end of Feb with a new rig, £3000 to spend on it.

So far I have decided on.

GT Omega Pro Rig (one I had previously) £420
Triple Monitor Stand (Included in price for rig)
3 x 32" Monitors (still to decide)
Fanatec V3 Pedals £340
SimuCube + Small Mige Direct Drive Wheel Base £900
7.1 Heaphones £100
PC Build £600

Have I missed anything out?

i would double check your monitor size choice, GT omega say it only supports upto 27" monitors, i have 27's on mine and whilst there is some room for adjustment im not sure you would get 3x 32"'s on it

Soldato
I bought the RUF and the tracks for the season, I don't get on with the RUF at all lol. Still racing MX5 in the Global MX5 Cup for now pondering my next move. Although I feel I still need to stick with it before moving on as im 1.5 secs off the pace around Laguna Seca! :mad:

Whats the iRacing user names?

Mines Andrew Dyer

Think there's a load more through the thread but mine is Joshua Harley.

As for cars, not a fan of the RUF either, hard to really suggest others, the Skippy is always a good bed in terms of getting races in as it's always popular. Or wait for maintenence/update periods (one today) and I think you can drive any car via the testdrive thing. Need to have downloaded them first though.

Soldato
Get the HPD proto, hour long races. Fantastic grip levels and great speed. You also race with two other class of cars, GT3 and GT4. So you have to wind your way through them eventually. Some of my most fun races were in the HPD.

Man of Honour
My sub ran out at the a few weeks back and I haven't renewed. Apart from the 24 hour Le Mans race a few of us did a while back I hardly turned a lap.

Skippy and DPD are good shouts though.

Associate
I'm in the same boat as Barmy, sub ran out for the first time in a few years mid december and I've not had the time/inclination to renew yet. I'm sure that will change when the first Porsche is released mid month though :)

As for graphics, I used to run 5760x1080 @60fps and on a 780Ti I would run everything maxed and also a couple of changes in Nvidea inspector to decrease the jaggies. There was a really good thread on the iRacing forums, pinned to the top of the hardware section I think. "Setting up NVIDEA display" or something along those lines :)

MarkR I feel your pain on selling the rig :(
Personally I would consider a rig from this company to fit your budget, just get a seat from a scrap car unless you have the funds for something nicer :)
http://sim-lab.eu/product/sim-racing-rig-gt1/

Soldato
I ran the proto series last season and it was a great challenge, really enjoyed it. I've changed to FR2.0 currently which you may want to look at. 30 mins races and it's reasonably popular, proto gt you do have to pick the correct race or it might not go official.

Soldato
That's true, ProtoGT is my series of choice (in the Aston) although the Racespot broadcast has been a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because it means the 1945 split on a Wednesday is absolutely rammed with over 100 people normally. It's a curse because the rest of the week it's a ghost town. Even on weekends these days you're unlikely to get a split on the less popular tracks.

It's a real shame as the MC racing means that the races never get dull, and you learn some real racecraft.

Soldato
That's true, ProtoGT is my series of choice (in the Aston) although the Racespot broadcast has been a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because it means the 1945 split on a Wednesday is absolutely rammed with over 100 people normally. It's a curse because the rest of the week it's a ghost town. Even on weekends these days you're unlikely to get a split on the less popular tracks.

It's a real shame as the MC racing means that the races never get dull, and you learn some real racecraft.

Yep, I try to race on Sunday evening, when all other races were busy, but there was still only a handful of people registered. The worst I found was COTA last season must have tried at least 6 times to get a race but there wasn't anymore than 10 people registered.

Associate
Worked out my issue with the AA and I'm back up to 100+ frames again plus its looking great. Don't know why I didnt go triples years ago, whilst I'm not faster I'm finding I'm a lot more consistent with my lap times.

Now onto designing a 80/20 gaming station where I can also play other games but be sturdy enough to house an OSW

Muska Barmey sad to hear you guys don't have the time anymore

Soldato
They've always been paying VAT as they have to to sell legally in the UK (and the rest of EU), but they've been taking the liability, basically this is transferring the cost to the customer, so I kinda get it but it is getting expensive.

I don't blame iRacing for the decision as such, but that plus the weakened pound, and the fact that they charge in $'s so there's a hit in exchange rate even beyond the headline forex rate (e.g paypal rate or visa rate + card/transaction fees), it's hard to defend the cost really. Add in the price changes and it's gone up a good 40-50% in a year or so...

Back
Top Bottom