iRacing

Man of Honour
Agree with the above.

I'd say once out of rookie only buy the Skip Barber if you buy anything at all. You can race a lot of weeks with the base content.

Don't go mad buying cars and tracks.

Half the cars on the service don't get official races more than a few times a week and when they do they are filled with all the hardcore die hards for that car, so you'll be miles of the pace anyway.

Soldato
thanks guys, I'm a pretty quick hot lapper but thats just hot lapping right....iRacing is a totally different ball game. I'm very careful of other racers, I try to stay clean rather than making outrageous attempts to pass through the pack, which obviously wont win me any races.

Can you race with friends, practice freely etc?

I'm just after a something different and a bit more involved than Assetto and Project Cars

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, there are always loads of official practice sessions for all official series, you can also run time trials the same way if you just enjoy hot lapping.

There are also loads of hosted sessions which cost about $1 per hour from memory if you wanted to make something custom for friends/friendly competition etc. Feel free to join us tomorrow evening, although chances are that you'd have to purchase some content to do so as I think we're planning on running running the Porsche as one of the vehicles, I don't mind adding the mx5 thought, you'll have that already.

Soldato
Yes, there are always loads of official practice sessions for all official series, you can also run time trials the same way if you just enjoy hot lapping.

There are also loads of hosted sessions which cost about $1 per hour from memory if you wanted to make something custom for friends/friendly competition etc. Feel free to join us tomorrow evening, although chances are that you'd have to purchase some content to do so as I think we're planning on running running the Porsche as one of the vehicles, I don't mind adding the mx5 thought, you'll have that already.

nice, just been doing a few practice laps around Laguna in the MX5 to get a feel of things. What would you recommend setting the "clear distance" to in the .ini file? Ive looked online and found a few to copy, but not knowing if that's good or not I've just changed it to "carLowHiPadding=0.500000 ; How much clearance, front and back in meters, to give a car before reporting it as clear" Is that ok?

Last edited:
Soldato
well, had some amazing races, wow there are some real idiots in Rookies...as to be expected. So far I've kept very clean, avoided some absolute wrecks as well, best one was starting last and finishing in 2nd. Almost at 3.0 in ovals now, man is it boring though.

great Adrenalin rush though racing when you know everything means something. Just hate the way most of the people drive down here, very infuriating. My last race I had a guy that was a lap down, getting involved in every corner with me, really trying to unsettled me and another guy that were going at it very fair and respectful and this idiot is rubbing, going 3 into corners etc.

Soldato
Can anyone help, getting a loading error 22 message when trying to start a race in the street stock at Charlotte. I can run a test session in the car on same circuit fine but I just can't join a race. I've been reading online to remove the car file and update the game again but that hasn't fixed it.

Any ideas?

Soldato
No not the track, only reason I didn't was because the track and car combo works when I run practice and tests, it's just when joint a race. Will mess around further when I get home tonight.

Edit: fixed it, removed all the car folder and downloaded again, all working again.

Moved from 16th to 3rd with no incidents and into D class :)

Last edited:

jbs

jbs

Associate
Just 1 monitor, I have 2 monitors but is it even possible or worth having 2? Just happy enough on the one for now.

Yes, you can run two monitors and it is worth it. The best method is to run in windowed mode and set the resolution as if you have 3 screens. I did this for quite a while before I added a third and it is better than just one screen.

Associate
Really?? I had dual monitors for over a decade and i couldnt imagine trying to race with 2 frames down the middle of the screen, it just doesnt seem right. Triple, sure. The only time i ever went dual was for high-res screenshots. I could somewhat understand people playing arcade racers that way and saying its ace, but im surprised (but not saying its wrong) someone finds it advantageous in an competitive setting like iRacing.

edit - I could somewhat understand it in a closed-wheel setting, wheel on one side/monitor, passenger seat & windshield on the other, but im not sure if thats achievable, but in an open wheel/single seater etc that frame pillar must be unpleasant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rig all set up. Triple 1080 screens, etc etc.

Did 50 laps at silverstone on the FR2.0, 1.5 off the leaders pace. Which isn't bad considering I was away for so long.

Didn't qualify, started last, corner 1 a huge pile up, I managed to get around 2 swerving cars and then lost the back end and got rammed. 4 seconds a lap slower than I should be due to a messed up front wing.

Nothing changes!!!

Back
Top Bottom