iRacing

Soldato
You don't need to buy them all, only what you want to race. Once you get to D licence the best car you can buy to get you access to the most series is the Ferrari 488 GT3 (not GTE!). It'll get you in to Ferrari GT3 Challenge and VLN Endurance. Once you get to C you can use it in IMSA, and finally a B licence will get you in to LMS, Endurance LMS, VRS and Endurance VRS.

Good advice, one minor correction. The Ferrari GT3 is no longer usable in IMSA, it got dropped to allow the Porsche 911 RSR in due to car limits. GT3 cars for IMSA are the Mercedes and Audi.

For VLN you need to own both the Nurburgring Nordschliefe and the Nurburgring GP to enable the combined layouts.

Associate
New rookie here so thought I'd say Hi :D

This is my first foray into sim racing after years of console gaming with a pad. Finding it great so far although tough to be consistent and not make silly mistakes.

On my forth race at Summit Point Jefferson in the MX5 and really struggling with the final corner - Any tips?

Also, how long does it usually take to move up to D licence? Here are my current race stats:

iracing.png

Soldato
Brake down into 3rd for the first part of the long left hander keeping a fair amount of speed whilst positioning yourself wide for the 2nd part of the long left, drop down into second to hit the apex and get the power on early to get speed down the main straight.

And welcome. Keep those incident points low is the main thing early in career.

Some good circuit tutorials from this channel https://youtu.be/Qk13fXZKKZY

Last edited:
Associate
Brake down into 3rd for the first part of the long left hander keeping a fair amount of speed whilst positioning yourself wide for the 2nd part of the long left, drop down into second to hit the apex and get the power on early to get speed down the main straight.

And welcome. Keep those incident points low is the main thing early in career.

Thanks, that is pretty much how I've been trying to take it but I either end up carrying to much speed and getting loose or going too slow. I'm looking forward to a different track to be honest!

Those tutorials are great thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
Well after a number of frustrating races I finally got my head straight and gained my first win, which also promoted me to D licence :D

Decided to progress onto the Ferrari GT3 Challenge series next. I can see this becoming a very expensive hobby!

Soldato
It is addictive mate. Right up until some knob takes you out 3 races in a row and you lose a ton of IR and SR. Went from an A 4.3 to a C 2.4 through no fault of my own. That’s the only thing that aggravates me about iracing.

Soldato
It is addictive mate. Right up until some knob takes you out 3 races in a row and you lose a ton of IR and SR. Went from an A 4.3 to a C 2.4 through no fault of my own. That’s the only thing that aggravates me about iracing.

I've not had any issues like that yet thank god lol I did get spun round earlier but that was my own fault as the spotter said car left but I just move a tad to far over to the left :p

Would be nice to have a group of us to have a few races

Soldato
Given the new TCR car a go yet @MarkeR ?

No interest in the Audi! Bought Spain but not driven it yet!
Seriously need to think about what sessions to race in, did 2 F3 sprints at lime rock! Started at the back and let the idiots wreck first lap , all I’m trying to do is get my SR back up! Twice, I have had a guy spin out in front of me with no where to go, t-bones twice in two races.
Ned to do IMSA I think, start at the back, plod my way around with no incident points until I’m back up to A4 something then concentrate getting my IR back.

Soldato
Am I best just sticking with Mazda Mx5 Cup for a fair bit and then moving on and buying new cars? Also am I better installing more tracks now or later?
Stick with the mx5 and get out of rookies. That means starting at the back, and getting your SR up. Practice your race raft in the practice sessions. Once your comfortable then race.
I would spend maybe a season staying in the same format, then decide what you want to drive during week 13. Look at the schedules and decide what tracks and cars you want to buy. Skippys, are the most popular next step, they use a few free tracks every schedule as well, all the purchasing adds up very quickly.

Soldato
Stick with the mx5 and get out of rookies. That means starting at the back, and getting your SR up. Practice your race raft in the practice sessions. Once your comfortable then race.
I would spend maybe a season staying in the same format, then decide what you want to drive during week 13. Look at the schedules and decide what tracks and cars you want to buy. Skippys, are the most popular next step, they use a few free tracks every schedule as well, all the purchasing adds up very quickly.

I'm guessing I'm going on the right bits... I open up the iracing icon on my desktop then click go race and select Mazda cup and it's at Tsukuba 9 times out of 10... I'm getting quicker by going to this track though as I was posting 1:07.5 in my first race and now I'm doing 1:06.3 so a second quicker.... There only seems to be around 10 drivers per race is that about right?

I do like the look of the Skippys... They seem fun from the videos I watch...

Man of Honour
I was tempted to get back into this after reading about the new tyre model. But after watching some Skippy races live streamed, I see that the standard of driving hasn't changed.

So I'll stick to occasionally watching other people race and let them get tilted over being dive bombed.

Soldato
I'm guessing I'm going on the right bits... I open up the iracing icon on my desktop then click go race and select Mazda cup and it's at Tsukuba 9 times out of 10... I'm getting quicker by going to this track though as I was posting 1:07.5 in my first race and now I'm doing 1:06.3 so a second quicker.... There only seems to be around 10 drivers per race is that about right?

I do like the look of the Skippys... They seem fun from the videos I watch...

In rookie races you never really get more than 12 in a race. Iracing championships done using 12 week seasons, 1 week is the same track so it give's everyone a good chance to compete in at least one race. The week 'ends' on a Tuesday and it changes to the next week with a new track.

Soldato
In rookie races you never really get more than 12 in a race. Iracing championships done using 12 week seasons, 1 week is the same track so it give's everyone a good chance to compete in at least one race. The week 'ends' on a Tuesday and it changes to the next week with a new track.

Ahhh OK cheers for that information... I have been clicking register then after about 30 seconds it says join... I'm guessing it's one race at a time and I can do as many of them as I like? Sorry for all the dumb questions still trying to work it all out

Soldato
Ahhh OK cheers for that information... I have been clicking register then after about 30 seconds it says join... I'm guessing it's one race at a time and I can do as many of them as I like? Sorry for all the dumb questions still trying to work it all out

Races are at scheduled time each day. Rookie MX5 there is one every 30 minutes I think. I.E, 11.00, 11.30, 12.00. Other series there is one every hour, some every two hours then some endurance races there is only 3 races over the weekend. You can register for a race up to 25 minutes before the race starts, if you do, the green join session button takes you to an official practice session for that series. Then when the race starts you will get a pop in up in the sim to take you to the race session. You can do as many races as you want a week. If you do 3 races, it only takes your best point finish from those 3. However if you do more then it averages your points out. I wouldn't worry about points yet, you should just focus on racing and finishing without as little incident points as possible. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, there is a lot to take on board. I'm happy to answer anything your not sure about.

Soldato
Races are at scheduled time each day. Rookie MX5 there is one every 30 minutes I think. I.E, 11.00, 11.30, 12.00. Other series there is one every hour, some every two hours then some endurance races there is only 3 races over the weekend. You can register for a race up to 25 minutes before the race starts, if you do, the green join session button takes you to an official practice session for that series. Then when the race starts you will get a pop in up in the sim to take you to the race session. You can do as many races as you want a week. If you do 3 races, it only takes your best point finish from those 3. However if you do more then it averages your points out. I wouldn't worry about points yet, you should just focus on racing and finishing without as little incident points as possible. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, there is a lot to take on board. I'm happy to answer anything your not sure about.

That's alright then, means I can get plenty of races in a week... I've been trying to keep it as clean as possible and have been doing well apart from a few incidents where other cars have not given enough room... What have I got to look out for? What is this SR I see?

Back
Top Bottom