iRacing

Soldato
Is there any "trial" option for this or is it full on membership etc.

I'm tempted to get into something a bit more serious (played F1/PC2 etc) - I like the look of a lot of this etc.

Soldato
Is there any "trial" option for this or is it full on membership etc.

I'm tempted to get into something a bit more serious (played F1/PC2 etc) - I like the look of a lot of this etc.

If you sung up, use my referral email pls, and i'll get £10 iracing bucks. Sent it to you in a trust message!

Soldato
lol - hope I didn't upset anyone.

Got it downloaded - 3 months for $10 from a code. Had a play around last night with MX5 car - good fun, tough learning curve already. Tried one race which was tough going, kept it clear until I got punted up the rear and into the barriers about lap4. 3 minutes of repairs in the pits....:(:(

Need to remember all the rules, pit speeds, not crossing the lines etc.

Did a practise at Daytona Oval with trucks - man that was fun, fast, drafting, wild speeds etc. I do love oval racing!

Soldato
lol - hope I didn't upset anyone.

Got it downloaded - 3 months for $10 from a code. Had a play around last night with MX5 car - good fun, tough learning curve already. Tried one race which was tough going, kept it clear until I got punted up the rear and into the barriers about lap4. 3 minutes of repairs in the pits....:(:(

Need to remember all the rules, pit speeds, not crossing the lines etc.

Did a practise at Daytona Oval with trucks - man that was fun, fast, drafting, wild speeds etc. I do love oval racing!

Take your time getting used to the sim. It's week 13 so very few official races going on at the moment. I you want some good fun on the ovals, try the Carb Cup and the Dallara Dash, they are both non-official so no IR or SR gain or loss.

A lot of people say start from the pits or at the back of your first races, reason being is you want to get out of rookies as soon as possible, it opens up a lot more series to race in when you do. I say, practice loads and get stuck into the racing, it will teach you a lot more about avoidance and race craft than staying at the back.

Most of all, do not get too stuck up about IR, some of the top split racing can be just as bad as the lower splits, i hover around 2300 - 2500 IR, mainly because I don't do a lot of racing, and when I do I usually have a few bad one and a few good ones.

Enjoy it though, it's a great sim once yuo get into it.

Soldato
A lot of people say start from the pits or at the back of your first races, reason being is you want to get out of rookies as soon as possible, it opens up a lot more series to race in when you do. I say, practice loads and get stuck into the racing, it will teach you a lot more about avoidance and race craft than staying at the back.
Agree with this. Starting from the back means you learn nothing about close racing, and dealing with unpredictable drivers. Sure, you may end up having some avoidable incidents, but that's the point of rookies.

Most of all, do not get too stuck up about IR, some of the top split racing can be just as bad as the lower splits, i hover around 2300 - 2500 IR, mainly because I don't do a lot of racing, and when I do I usually have a few bad one and a few good ones.
Also great advice. Bottom split should be avoided as everyone is a liability and will kill you accidentally. Top split can be just as bad as everyone's a weekend hero and will kill you intentionally. Middle splits are often the best racing as everyone knows they're not the best driver in the world and is only out to have some fun.

Soldato
Soldato
First race completed in Mx5 cup - good fun, Okayama circuit finished 10th out of 18....started 13th!

I did hit the back of someone under braking which did damage my car a bit so could have gone quicker for sure but good to get used to something.

Soldato
weirdly can't seem to get any races tonight - I click to join sessions - it registers me for them , then I click join and just get a black loading screen with red bar across the bottom and nothing happens for like 5 mins or more....

Soldato
weirdly can't seem to get any races tonight - I click to join sessions - it registers me for them , then I click join and just get a black loading screen with red bar across the bottom and nothing happens for like 5 mins or more....

Do you have any Fanatec equipment?

Also, I have noticed it is taking longer this build to load into the tracks, used to be one of the first into sessions for a race, now it's taking a few minutes longer!

Soldato
Do you have any Fanatec equipment?

Also, I have noticed it is taking longer this build to load into the tracks, used to be one of the first into sessions for a race, now it's taking a few minutes longer!

no - Logitech wheel/pedals etc - I was in the practise session fine, then the warning would flash up that race/qualifying was ready to join, I would click race and then just a black screen with "loading" on it and the small red bar moving - but sat there for like 5 minute or more and nothing happened. Tried exiting and joining session again but same thing.

Soldato
Any pointers to help a noob!

Only races that seem to work (ranked wise) are the MX5 cup races - done a few now - not fussed about position just solid laps/racing etc.

Best way to rank up?
Best cars to buy to start with? (do you need to buy them all ?? expensive!!!)
Tracks - similar?

Soldato
Only races that seem to work (ranked wise) are the MX5 cup races - done a few now - not fussed about position just solid laps/racing etc.
Race series are only open to you based on your licence level. If you only see the MX5s it sounds like you're in Rookies?

Best way to rank up?
If you're in rookies, your only goal is to get out of rookies. To do that you need to increase your Safety Rating by driving clean, not necessarily fast, so just keep the car on the track and avoid all incidents. Once you hit 3.0 you'll be promoted at the end of the season (which is 13 weeks away as the new season started literally yesterday) or if you get to 4.0 you'll be promoted instantly. If you do well you can get your D licence in about 5-10 races.

If you want to improve your iRating you just need to drive fast and finish well, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if you're starting out.

Best cars to buy to start with? (do you need to buy them all ?? expensive!!!)
You don't need to buy them all, only what you want to race. Once you get to D licence the best car you can buy to get you access to the most series is the Ferrari 488 GT3 (not GTE!). It'll get you in to Ferrari GT3 Challenge and VLN Endurance. Once you get to C you can use it in IMSA, and finally a B licence will get you in to LMS, Endurance LMS, VRS and Endurance VRS.

If you want to learn racecraft another great D licence car is the Skip Barber. People also suggest the Spec Racer Ford, however I cannot stand that thing. It's an oversteering hunk of crap which you have to drive in a really unnatural way to be fast. Avoid it as it just teaches you bad habits.

Tracks - similar?
Yep, only buy what you need. You can check the schedule of whatever series you're running to see what tracks you'll need.

Also remember that you get discounts buying 3/6/9 pieces of content at a time.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Spunkey - Brilliant - Thanks for that - great info.

Another oval race this morning - finished 6th - lost points for some numpty hitting my rear end and sending me across the grass....All fun mind you.

Soldato
wild one there - 3rd place in oval race......Got a nice compliment at the end from another driver saying how fair/good pass on last lap was.....nice to know!!

Back
Top Bottom