Iron Fist on Netflix

Soldato
It only takes a cursory glance to see that Iron Fist is getting more than a little undue stick for not recasting the lead as Asian though. It's not the only criticism it's receiving, but it's certainly the most unfair. It started off as a fairly reasonable "It would have been nice to see them cast an Asian lead" and has snowballed from there. Now, not changing Danny Rand's ethnicity is cultural appropriation, a demonstration of the 'white saviour' or 'mighty whighty' trope. It, apparently, is less offensive to retcon the story to keep matters of culture and race in neat little boxes, where everyone respects (and abides by) normal stereotypes. Transcending cultures is racist, but only if you're a white male.

It's quite tragic really. I agree that it might have been a nice opportunity to cast an East-Asian actor in to a lead role in a Marvel project. But the opportunity wasn't taken up. There's was no need for the debate over that decision to descend into a farce.

What? Is Danny Rand ever Asian in the comics? Or is this just another Black lives matter thing?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
8 episodes in and still don't see what the fuss is about. Agree the dialogue could have been better but no less than what we have seen in JJ and LC.

They should have definitly hired a Oriental fighting chorographer. Something like Into the Badlands"

Still enjoying it though though :D

Caporegime
Yeah, there is a group of racist people in the world who think every role shouldn't be a white man, and they'll complain from Iron Fist to an advert for Daz Ultra. They aren't serious. I haven't seen any serious conversations anywhere about cultural appropriation, I haven't seen it stated anywhere about Iron Fist. But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there are some 'reporters' on rubbish websites like Buzzfeed making a list of reasons he shouldn't have been white and lots of twitter action from a bunch of idiots about how he shouldn't have been white, but who cares.

I don't consider race, nor care about it when I watch a show. I can recognise racism and am whole heartedly disgusted by it, but 98% of the crap Black Lives Matter and other similar groups are complaining about is new modern "I want to be a victim to" nonsense. Just ignore people making stupid claims, if you want to read about the show ignore every post that makes race the problem they have with the show.

Soldato
Well i've finished it now.

Probably overall ranking Daredevil > Jessica Jones > Iron Fist > Luke Cage - Luke Cage I was finding interesting for the first half but by the end it was very poor.

Overall for Iron Fist 6/10 - Just found it fairly generic and not exhibiting the high quality aspects of previous shows like Daredevil that set these Marvel shows apart from the standard network/cable shows. More detailed and spoilery opinions below.

I always had my worries about the lead actor when he was cast and it appears rightly so. Just found him very bland, not necessarily a bad actor as the script in this was really the worst so far but the acting kept it a level above Luke Cage at the end. Also he just didn't come close to Charlie Cox or Jon Bernthal in looking natural and powerful in the action scenes. It seemed obviously choreographed and about half speed with a lot more obvious hits not connecting but being 'received' than the shows before.

I found the supporting cast fine again in regards to acting and I liked the fact it was including characters from the other shows early but in the end it just rounded back to godamn ninja's, although I did find the new baddie decent enough he just wasn't developed or shown to be strong enough to be intimidating like Kingpin or the Purple Man. And after the end of Season 2 of Daredevil disappointed me by having the best first 9 eps so any Marvel season at that point the last few just resorted to ninja's i.e The Hand which just don't have the same menace.

The story seemed very muddled and everyone involved with the show didn't seem to realise that apart from Danny Rand being 'a pretty chill and nice enough dude' he just seemed to be running around like a child with an 'I want this, now this' persona completely disregarding what had come before. And I am not sure if there was supposed to be a homosexual interest from his buddy Davos, it wasn't exactly subtle neither was it obvious, it just ended up being weird and confusing as to why he was so angry, initially thought as he had wanted the Iron Fist himself but then it goes further.

Positives! Colleen Wing, although the script didn't really help the actress unlike the actress playing Elektra last season of DD this girl actually looked like she could fight due to her figure but again all the fights (aside from the cage fighting) seemed to move in slow motion most of the time.
The Meechams, I found the brother and sister interesting, the father initially so but then they just went with the 'he's getting crazier' route but the siblings were well acted and particularly Ward I would have liked to have seen a bit more explanation by the end.

Overall it was more interesting than Luke Cage but it never actually got to a point that got me excited for an upcoming fight like most shows have, for me when shows are based on superhero stuff they will always get a couple of extra points because I find them more enjoyable than most shows. Who knows how the ending will fit in, I knew it would come but I was waiting for the stupid scene in which people who had previously liked him and tried to help him plot his death at the end. Yup there it is, no good reasoning, Joy especially now knows her father was around for years before Danny came back and had his parents killed so what the hell. IT's all Danny's fault.....after he just tried to sacrifice himself to save you. His now ex-best mate was all over the place anyway.

I really hope Marvel are putting more time into The Defenders and realising their shows are starting to slip.

Caporegime
5 episodes in and loving it so far, much better than that current pile of crap Legion which bored me to death.

Been a long time since I've been looking forward to other episodes of a series. Usually I get quite bored but Iron Fist is keeping me hooked so far.

Soldato
I'm on episode 5 right now as well. So far I'm liking it.

I'd currently rate them Daredevil > Iron Fist > Luke Cage > Jessica Jones

I Binged 3 last night and I enjoyed it. The style is my thing, DC I find childish.
I enjoyed LC to begin with too but it go terrible at the end, I hope this doesn't suffer the same fate. Assuming it continues to be good, I say DD, JJ, IF, LC

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Finished it and the ending was a little weak, the script could have been better but still enjoyed it. Like Luke Cage started off good and faded with a pop. They definitely need to hire a good fighting cheogragher someone like Donnie Yen if they can afford it. It is pretty much a must for a martial art story.

Couple of things didn't make sense because they diviated from the source material. The Hand is a group of Japanese undead ninja assassins, this one was just thugs with guns?? Even night nurse was kicking butt.

The whole corporate piece was all over the place and pretty weak, I wasn't really sure what Harold was about but really didn't help. Lots of room for improvement but no where near as disappointing as Luke Cage. I wanted to know more about the origin and Kun Lou. Still worth a watch.

DD > IF > JJ > LC

I hate how tv is plagued with this mindless superhero crud these days. Make me want to vomit everywhere.

Why are you posting in here then??? Don't watch it if you hate it that much.

Permabanned
Not the genre I'm against. Heroes was nothing amazing but I watched every season and it is hands better than all this present stuff they are churning out.

And yes I will still post my opinion even if it goes against the grain. Like moaning at those in the TWD thread. Still watching 7 years later hoping it'll become something it will never be. No wonder that rubbish is still on the air.

Soldato
I'm enjoying it, although that might be because of the incredibly attractive English actress playing Colleen.

Soldato
Just finished it and it's not as bad as the critics have slated it but again it's far from a Daredevil, It's only been slightly more enjoyable than Luke Cage for me but still suffers from being slow, if they did less episodes the pacing would be much better.

Associate
Not the genre I'm against. Heroes was nothing amazing but I watched every season and it is hands better than all this present stuff they are churning out.

And yes I will still post my opinion even if it goes against the grain. Like moaning at those in the TWD thread. Still watching 7 years later hoping it'll become something it will never be. No wonder that rubbish is still on the air.

So just to be clear, you haven't even watched this you just popped by to tell us it's crud?

Soldato
I'm five episodes in and so far it's not a patch on Daredevil, but at the same time I don't think it was quite worth the awful reviews it received. The choreography really isn't that great, which is weird for a martial arts centred show, the dialogue is a bit clunky at times, and some of the acting isn't that great. I think the main problem is that Finn Jones just isn't that great as Danny Rand. I'd give it something like a 6/10.

Soldato
Interesting to see how at odds fans and critics are with Iron Fist. 13% from Critics on RT, 87% from fans.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
This ranks amongst the worst TV shows I've ever chosen to watch, and definitely the worst 'superhero' TV show I've seen since the 70's.

The abysmally choreographed fight scene in the elevator set a very bad standard which it never came out of for me.

3/10

Back
Top Bottom