Is it time to wake the bike up yet?

Soldato
I've ridden my bike twice in the last 2 weeks, it was a bit more slippy a few nights ago, but being slow, controlled and careful goes a long way, but I never, ever ride when there is frost about. I prefer 6+ degrees air temperature, but I have ridden down to 3 degrees as I don't like leaving the bike in storage for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Apart from one day when there was a light dusting of snow, I’ve been using mine.

Don’t understand the fair weather riding mentality tbh.

Soldato
Apart from one day when there was a light dusting of snow, I’ve been using mine.

Different people want different things from their bikes. I don't ride as often as I used to, but when I do ideally I'll be in another country within three hours on the way to a decent tour. Others commute every day. Some people have nice second cars that they don't take out in foul weather too, and some others like me are fortunate enough to have a car to commute in and a bike to have fun on. For those in my position, I don't understand the mentality to ride a bike in freezing cold, terrible weather when you don't have to!

Soldato
OP
I don't like leaving the bike in storage for more than 2 or 3 weeks.
Mine's been in hibernation since November now. Ducati assured me this is fine. No need for paddock stands. Its connected to a battery conditioner for one day a week. My other half thinks I’m daft, bought it in September last year and I’ve only clocked up 350 miles. As The Abyss summed up, I don’t need to ride it - it is a weekend bike. Doesn’t stop me missing those rides though. Knowing it’s there all wrapped up and cosy in the garage is frustrating! :)

Soldato
I'm sure they're not, but battery conditioners / winter charging seems like snake oil to me. I've never used them, and I don't ride over winter. This season was typical - I got off the bike after a long ride in October and just left it. I started it twice over the next three months, got it up to operating temperature, and that's it. I did the same last year with the same bike, and have done the same with the previous two bikes.

The bikes are garaged but not heated. Everything works just fine, and two of those bikes were Aprilias!

Soldato
Battery conditioners seem a good idea. I don't have power in my garage. I think it's going to have to stay in for the next week or so until the mercury gets up again, it's blooming freezing!

I don't have power in my garage either, I just run an extension lead out if I need to, bought a 12 metre one from Homebase which you can get for something like £20. :)

Soldato
OP
I should apologise to all the summer riders. I think I jinxed the weather with this thread. First week of March and now this! Roads covered in snow, ice and mush and how long will it be before they're clear of salt and grit. Gutted :(

Soldato
I'm sure they're not, but battery conditioners / winter charging seems like snake oil to me. I've never used them, and I don't ride over winter. This season was typical - I got off the bike after a long ride in October and just left it. I started it twice over the next three months, got it up to operating temperature, and that's it. I did the same last year with the same bike, and have done the same with the previous two bikes.

The bikes are garaged but not heated. Everything works just fine, and two of those bikes were Aprilias!

Same.

Well not them being Arpillia's - but I follw the same winter routine as you, never had a problem.

Man of Honour

Unless you have a dodgy battery or something leeching power (such as a satnav mount) permanently connected to the bike then it's not needed in most of the UK. If the temperatures are low enough for it to be a problem it's better to bring the battery inside over winter rather than leave it on a trickle charger.

You also shouldn't start a bike if you're not going to ride it though. Nothing is going to seize over a single winter or even a few years, and leaving a bike idling adds a lot of wear as it takes a lot longer to get up to operating temperature compared to riding gently immediately after starting the bike.

Soldato
You also shouldn't start a bike if you're not going to ride it though. Nothing is going to seize over a single winter or even a few years, and leaving a bike idling adds a lot of wear as it takes a lot longer to get up to operating temperature compared to riding gently immediately after starting the bike.

Yep - I understand that but I don't care. It'll be sold long before any problems like that might manifest, plus I do let it get up to operating temperatures anyway.

Soldato
Winter is a time of biking because you have to, not because you want to.
Once the last salt has been washed away and the air feels slightly warm, that's when the summer bikes come out.
I have a car but I use the bike so that the mrs can use the car. I find it so much more rewarding when the weather turns nice.

I think it's something to do with being delicate little flowers :p

Soldato
Makes me laugh when people say they ride all year round and have done 4 to 5 winters at most lol.

This is my 4th decade of riding all year round I do not own a car still have no desire for one ,I like riding maybe I am old and stupid and no know no better.

Riders on average I know last about 10 years then hit the car which is the start of the slippery slope of only using the bike on nice day's e.t.c and if you decide to marry some bird it's game over :D

Back
Top Bottom