Is the snake oil slowly retreating from the Hi-Fi industry?

Associate
James, James James. Everything I said was with intent. I knew I would would get a response, but not that quickly pal. Basically it’s ok for people to **** me down, call me a liar in what ever form they choose to say it. But as soon as I say I say something that puts someone else down and those words were chosen carefully by the way, as soon as I say something out of turn, I’m the A hole. That is where the irony lies James... it was a simple play. You don’t seem to have any street smarts do you?

Soldato
James, James James. Everything I said was with intent. I knew I would would get a response, but not that quickly pal. Basically it’s ok for people to **** me down, call me a liar in what ever form they choose to say it. But as soon as I say I say something that puts someone else down and those words were chosen carefully by the way, as soon as I say something out of turn, I’m the A hole. That is where the irony lies James... it was a simple play. You don’t seem to have any street smarts do you?
sure, ok troll ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to audio talk in 3....

Soldato
I see your degree In goat maintainance and sesspit digging from the university of Mumbai came in handy. I can’t argue with that logic. You got me on the run there cupcake.
More flat earth logic and techincal talk. Here have another bag of rocks.
You think insulting me in anyway bolsters your immature way of viewing how audio works?
Another goon who has tried to inject himself into something of which he know nothing.

Here’s another one for you sceptics, know it alls, pretend audiophiles,dullards and rock throwers to figure out. How could a better graphics card possibly get you a better sound. And it’s a fact that it does!

Squabble over that one. But this time come back with formulas, graphs and data. you know, the ones you have been using throughout this thread in your futile and more often than not , purile and utterly facile attempt to prove the people who really know what’s going on, that they are somehow wrong. Hence my flat earth jibe. Although it could work the other way. But iv’e yet to see any conclusive evidence to help your cause pal. So my comment stands up for now, doesn’t it.

This is a big long rant that I didn't even read beyond the first paragraph. It just exposes the fact that you actually are really insecure in your beliefs if you feel so personally attacked because I laughed at the notion that changing power cables/power strips makes a huge audible difference.

There's literally zero evidence that this is a thing that actually happens. So people who prioritise logic and reason will find it hilarious.

The barrage of "insults" isn't even offensive, it's just a demonstration that you're projecting because you can't handle your already sketchy questionable beliefs being questioned.

If the benchmark of what an audiophile is, is someone who believes nonsense claims that contradict scientific theory that is responsible for the production of these audio products, without evidence, then I guess I'm not an audiophile.

But all it takes is a little bit of logic to understand that these magic power cables and power strips make literally zero difference when either side of the device it's attached to is just standard copper without the magic dust or whatever it is the makes these power cables/strips "alter the sound."

Permabanned
These threads come up every few years and are always good value for money... I will make the same point I always make....

If you pay a visit to the experimental physics department of a top scientific university and check the cabling they use for data acquisition and sensing on any of their multi-million-pound pieces of kit which are used to probe the very fabric of time and space itself..... You will not find anything special. What you will find are well-made and appropriately specified but inexpensive cables that perform in a manner that does not compromise the resolution of the data being generated.

Do people think if we the large Hadron collider was 'upgraded' with Russ Andrew cable and interconnects (not sure if enough money in the world for this tbh) it would be able to resolve more information about fundamental particle physics of the universe...

If inexpensive cables but well-made cables are good enough for Nobel prize winners operating at the boundaries of human understanding in advanced particle physics, they are probably ok for listening to your hifi ;)

Soldato
These threads come up every few years and are always good value for money... I will make the same point I always make....

If you pay a visit to the experimental physics department of a top scientific university and check the cabling they use for data acquisition and sensing on any of their multi-million-pound pieces of kit which are used to probe the very fabric of time and space itself..... You will not find anything special. What you will find are well-made and appropriately specified but inexpensive cables that perform in a manner that does not compromise the resolution of the data being generated.

Do people think if we the large Hadron collider was 'upgraded' with Russ Andrew cable and interconnects (not sure if enough money in the world for this tbh) it would be able to resolve more information about fundamental particle physics of the universe...

If inexpensive cables but well-made cables are good enough for Nobel prize winners operating at the boundaries of human understanding in advanced particle physics, they are probably ok for listening to your hifi ;)
Oh no, it's only audio where they matter. Because reasons.

Soldato

That is all true but at the same time they don't use the cheap standard cables that come with the equipment like many home users do. They will spend a sensible amount of money on higher quality cables because it can make a difference to upgrade cables. They just don't spend silly money on snake oil cables.

Soldato
That is all true but at the same time they don't use the cheap standard cables that come with the equipment like many home users do. They will spend a sensible amount of money on higher quality cables because it can make a difference to upgrade cables. They just don't spend silly money on snake oil cables.
There's a difference between power conditioning for stability, and claiming it completely changes the way a system sounds.

The things that might change would be things mine hum, interference etc. Not the crazy claims that it completely alters the sound profile.

It's like on a PC with integrated audio, some motherboards have hum through the audio jacks that varies depending on how loaded the CPU is. The sound quality isn't varying. There's just interference added, which can be removed with power conditioning and having the sound processing circuitry on either a separate board (sound card), or an isolated portion of the motherboard with a physical break in traces between the main circuitry and the motherboard.

Soldato
This is a big long rant that I didn't even read beyond the first paragraph.

You really should have carried on, you missed this gem:

Here’s another one for you sceptics, know it alls, pretend audiophiles,dullards and rock throwers to figure out. How could a better graphics card possibly get you a better sound. And it’s a fact that it does!

Soldato
The other day, I changed my TV and my stereo is suddenly better because the power going back into the circuit when it's on standby is cleaner.
Ever since I started charging my mouse with a gold plated special conditioned USB cable, my aim has substantially improved.

Soldato
Ever since I started charging my mouse with a gold plated special conditioned USB cable, my aim has substantially improved.

Wait, so if I get an Xbox controller and power it with an 'insert pseudo science rubbish' shielded cable I'll improve my 0.2 KD ratio?

Soldato

And that is where they are going wrong. Yes the data may be exactly the same with normal good quality cables, fuses etc. but will they really bring out the musicality? Will the richness and immediacy of the data come through in a truly pleasing and organic way?

Soldato
The other thing is...if I'd spent car money on hi-fi, I'd expect it to be be built better than it being affected by slight fluctuations in a power supply.

Soldato
Oh god my brain. Even the most hardened graphics card fanboys have never claimed a better GPU gives them better sound quality.

This guy is hilarious.
Playing devil's advocate. What if I am video editing and the CPU is overloaded at 100% causing the sound quality to stutter and jump. So I upgrade my onboard GPU to a better GPU and switch to GPU assisted rendering. This would remove some of the stress on the CPU and the sound quality problems I was suffering from would now be gone. Wouldn't I be right in claiming a better GPU improved my sound quality for the task I was doing?

Soldato
Playing devil's advocate. What if I am video editing and the CPU is overloaded at 100% causing the sound quality to stutter and jump. So I upgrade my onboard GPU to a better GPU and switch to GPU assisted rendering. This would remove some of the stress on the CPU and the sound quality problems I was suffering from would now be gone. Wouldn't I be right in claiming a better GPU improved my sound quality for the task I was doing?

Stutter caused by doing other tasks while listening to music isn't diminishing sound quality, it's destroying your ability to listen to audio while multitasking.

When you aren't multi-tasking is your audio quality magically higher due to having a 2080ti instead of a 1030?

If not, you're not gaining improved sound quality.

Associate
You got it pal. With the gpu in say using HQP (its a player) it upsamples pcm into dsd 512 which takes a hell of a lot of cpu power, which in turn off loads it to the cuda cores. This is particulary hard when trying to upsample to dsd512 in closed form with HQP.

How could a better graphics card possibly get you a better sound. And it’s a fact that it does!.
I purposely used the phrase get you a better sound. Here is some light reading for all you technical guys. Its even got you your technical data and graphs that you wanted. Happy reading.
Edit* I should have actually said cpu and gpu, but I didnt want to make it look and sound too ludicrous.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/measurements-look-at-hqplayer-325.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom