• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 and Furmark?

Did you try the Batman game as that seemed to be the most affected by the problem - certainly the speed in which it crashed?

When i had my xxx card i was using xp 32 bit and it replicated the same error - but there is probably an element of truth in what you say with regards to the card not getting fully stressed in your parents system.

Can i just confirm what your temps are under load? This problem isn't a heat related issue and if your temps are well within tolerance under load i would, personally, still be inclined to rma regardless of your parents’ results.

EDIT: You could try your parents card in your system to see if it replicates the same error - if it doesn't you would have more than enough evidence for an rma.

Last edited:
I unfortunately only had a few hours to test the machine so I couldnt test anything but crysis before I had to catch the train.

My temps under load in furmark are 91 degrees and idle is 49 degrees and thats on a warm night.

when I first built this pc in april I had an nvidia 8800GT in this same system and it did not have this error at all but it did not function properly either as it kept having the "driver not responding" errors and I was told to replace that card with an ati....and here we are today with a faulty ati card.

Ive already sent a webnote to overclockers because regardless of what the problem is I dont seem to have any solution and I cant use my pc like this, so replacing the card with something else is the only thing I can thing of

Ive already sent a webnote to overclockers because regardless of what the problem is I dont seem to have any solution and I cant use my pc like this, so replacing the card with something else is the only thing I can thing of

That would seem the most logical and sensible next step considering the fault and your troubleshooting efforts to date.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

Good luck, i sent mine back and got a new one or a repaird one and i still had a faulty card. so tested it on another pc i have still the same isssues.

so i am atempting to get a refund. as another xfx card is out of the question for me.

Good luck, i sent mine back and got a new one or a repaird one and i still had a faulty card. so tested it on another pc i have still the same isssues.

so i am atempting to get a refund. as another xfx card is out of the question for me.

If you like the card (in principle/spec) you could request that the e-tailer tests the next replacement before sending it out. It's not normal practice but as you have received 2 faulty cards, to date, it's something that, i'm sure, they would entertain if you asked.

If not i recommend that you exchange/upgrade to the cheapest 4870- link or if you can stetch a 4890 - link - as they're extremely good value.

Last edited:
someone suggested to me today that they had similar problems to me and it turned out to be faulty ram, I find that highly unlikely but went ahead and pulled 2 of my 4 ram sticks out and ran crysis and it crashed. So I replaced those 2 with the other 2 and it still crashed in crysis so I guess its probably not the ram causing this crash.

someone suggested to me today that they had similar problems to me and it turned out to be faulty ram, I find that highly unlikely but went ahead and pulled 2 of my 4 ram sticks out and ran crysis and it crashed. So I replaced those 2 with the other 2 and it still crashed in crysis so I guess its probably not the ram causing this crash.

If it still looks, feels and reacts like a gfx problem after all your troubleshooting - the probablilty is that it is. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, with lack of other components to test but you should be able to rma your card with relative confidence given the similarities to this thread.

I think you just need to get it posted off - if it's found faulty the e-tailer will cover your p&p (if you request it and supply a receipt of postage) and hopefully you'll have your replacement by the end of the week/early next.

If by some minor miracle it's not found to be faulty at least you can rule it out - but the odds are heavily stacked against this outcome.

put in individual sticks of ram last night and ran memtest and they passed perfectly, no errors. Ran crysis and it still crashes as usual. Also ran prime95 with no errors and coretemps were good.

so Im thinking it really must be the graphics card causing the crashing.

got a confirmation on RMA, Im going to send it back ASAP

Good - let me know how you get on.

Did you decide on a like for like exchange, different flavour or an upgrade as a replacement?

I want to get an upgrade something like an nvidia geforce 260 would probably be quite compatible with vista64 and its only £10 more than what I originally paid for the 4850 so hopefully thats ok

I want to get an upgrade something like an nvidia geforce 260 would probably be quite compatible with vista64 and its only £10 more than what I originally paid for the 4850 so hopefully thats ok

How much did you originally pay for the 4850 as you can pick up a 4890 for ~£120.

Ati drivers are fine in a 64bit environment - your problems were/are hardware related. Having said that if you're more comfortable with Nvidia then choose the 260 - but be aware the 4890 would have significant gains over the 260 for a similar price.

Last edited:
How much did you originally pay for the 4850 as you can pick up a 4890 for ~£120.

Ati drivers are fine in a 64bit environment - your problems were/are hardware related. Having said that if you're more comfortable with Nvidia then choose the 260 - but be aware the 4890 would have significant gains over the 260 for a similar price.

yeah I originally paid £109 for my 4850 but I want to go for nvidia now because I work as a 3D artist and there is new software out that uses cuda quite extensively for voxel 3d sculpting www.3dcoat.com also quite a few games are using physx and it runs a bit better on nvidia now. Also viewports in 3d applications like maya and 3dsmax seem to be more stable with nvidia cards in my experience. So although the 4890 is probably better in games I dont really play as much games as I do make 3D models for use in game engines as you can see on my website www.gd3dart.com .

Last edited:
Ah, fair enough - your needs are quite specific and you will certainly know far more than me when it comes to your software's hardware requirements.

With the above in mind you may find this thread of interest - link.

Impressive models/artwork - i would have no idea where to begin - i use my computer for far more mundane work/tasks. I'm usless at art and suspect a computer would only exacerbate my lack of ability.

Last edited:
Ah, fair enough - your needs are quite specific and you will certainly know far more than me when it comes to your software's hardware requirements.

With the above in mind you may find this thread of interest - link.

Impressive models/artwork - i would have no idea where to begin - i use my computer for far more mundane work/tasks. I'm usless at art and suspect a computer would only exacerbate my lack of ability.

Thanks yeah Im now waiting on overclockers to recieve the package, I sent it next day delivery last week friday but I guess the bank holiday weekend slowed things down because overclockers still say they havent recieved it.

It's more likely that it's just not been logged in - i.e. it's on the premises but not scanned into their system, once it is it will then be processed and queud up for testing.

Once logged in the process should only take 24/48hrs - as once it's on the test bench, hopefully, they'll identify the problem very quicky and sort you out with a replacement.

You can follow its progress via your account login.

I sent it next day delivery last week friday

Has the company you used, to send the card back 'next day delivery' (NDD), confirmed that the package has been delivered?

When i used Royal Mail's NDD i was able to input a tracking code into their website and confirm if the package had been delivered and signed for by the addressee.

Does the delivery service you use have the same facility?

Has the company you used, to send the card back 'next day delivery' (NDD), confirmed that the package has been delivered?

When i used Royal Mail's NDD i was able to input a tracking code into their website and confirm if the package had been delivered and signed for by the addressee.

Does the delivery service you use have the same facility?

it is royal mail next day delivery but I dont know the code. sent it off from work so maybe someone there will know what the tracking code is. Overclockers still say they havent recieved it and its been a full week now. :(

Last edited:
it is royal mail next day delivery but I dont know the code. sent it off from work. Overclockers still say they havent recieved it and its been a full week now. :(

If you know the date and 'approximate time' that you posted the card the Post Office, that you used, may be able to give you the code from their records. You may have to go in, in person with ID to get the info.

sent it off from work so maybe someone there will know what the tracking code is.

Do you mean you put it through work post - as in - the office junior went out to your local PO and posted it? If so then they should have a record of it - hopefully.

You will obviously need some proof of postage to make your claim if it has gone misssing :/ Even if you haven't got the receipt if you have the time/date of postage and 'work ID' that should be enough to get the PO to track the package. Or at least tell you if it's failed to be delivered etc...

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom