Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2018, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2018 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
On another note...
I would love to know the answer to this question....
The "out of 10" result of the forum polls of each race this season... and the position Vettel and Hamilton have finished in those respect races....

Soldato
On another note...
I would love to know the answer to this question....
The "out of 10" result of the forum polls of each race this season... and the position Vettel and Hamilton have finished in those respect races....

LOL! Since stiggy boy voted '2' on this race, I wonder how these results would look :p

Soldato
I just don't see the same 'every driver wants to drive for Ferrari' being as strong as it was going back a few decades. Toss the passion, the history etc and all that stuff out the window - it is meaningless half the time you're there doing an job, and other teams have plenty of history and passion too (even sterile McLaren!).

Let's look at the modern day Ferrari. Ridiculous expectations, under performing engineering and / or under performing personnel, huge pressure, changing key staff regularly, often chaotic. Compare that with, for example, Hamilton's position at Mercedes now where he's given the environment he chooses to get the best out of him. Do people seriously think that he'd exchange it all for the chance (outside) to drive a Ferrari to victory at Monza? I just don't see it.

Kimi seems to cope with it by giving a great impression of not given a single ****. Vettel is on the fast track to imploding in the last third of a season - again. Alonso schemed and calculated, forcing senior staff changes until he too had enough. Lovely team to work for.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree that in the last decade particularly it's been like that at Ferrari.

But as Marchionne has passed there is new management now, so we'll see how things develop.
At least they're finally back to being able to develop a championship winning car.
I just hope Liberty will be able to address the balance of political power in the sport right now and the share of revenue.

Soldato
Just my 2 penneth.
1. Seb vs Lewis was a racing incident as decided by the stewards. No blame either side in the heat of the start of the race.
2. Why is Mr Todt allowed to enjoy Ferrari hospitality? Bias?
3. Haas broke a rule and had been given a long time to resolve it. They must have already accepted their floor was ilegal as they agreed to 'fix' it.

Btw does anyone know what is ilegal with the Haas floor?
Andi.

Soldato
Front edge of the tea-tray didn't meet the 5cm radius rule. Not sure by how much.

Apparently they tested their new floor in Belgium and it proved inconclusive whether it helped or not. Due to this they were only running it on one car as an A/B test, which is why Magnussen wasn't disqualified too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Haas were warned that if they didn't sort it they could face protests.
They didn't, they did, and they were excluded.

Even with the summer shutdown they had 3 weeks. Didn't need a complete redesign, they could have modified their existing floors. May not have been as quick, but would have been legal.

Thanks for the info.
Appears they knew well in advance and had to be compliant by monza. They weren't. Seems disqualification is inescapable . And silly.

Soldato
So if Leclerc is joining Ferrari for sure and with Seb clearly unhappy with Raikkonens driving and results this weekend, could we see the rails fall off in a different manner at Ferrari for the rest of the season with Raikkonen trying to prove himself in the last races of his career potentially?

Caporegime
Front edge of the tea-tray didn't meet the 5cm radius rule. Not sure by how much.

Apparently they tested it in Belgium and it proved inconclusive whether it helped or not. Due to this they were only running the new floor on one car as an A/B test, which is why Magnussen wasn't disqualified too.

Their deposition asserts that they didn't bring it to Monza due to supply issues.

Caporegime
So if Leclerc is joining Ferrari for sure and with Seb clearly unhappy with Raikkonens driving and results this weekend, could we see the rails fall off in a different manner at Ferrari for the rest of the season with Raikkonen trying to prove himself in the last races of his career potentially?

I'd love to see an 'I don't give an f' Kimi

Not been a big fan in past. But hes actually talking more to press now, and is blunt! I'e w to him a little.

Must be hard being vettel at the moment. He' m a fair few Little but costly mistakes last few races.
Moza and German gps being the stand outs

Soldato
No it equals or betters any race i have seen this year.

The ONLY mark for comparison, are other races in the same season.

You cannot in any way compare to previous seasons races, as far too many variables change from season to season.

It is the same as trying to call a best car or best driver ever in history, it is impossible. Certain cars and certain drivers were exceptional compared to their counterparts at the time, but it is impossible to compare them to previous or later cars and drivers.
It's an opinion, hardly a fact. Just base the rating on how good a race was. Montreal 2012 was 10/10, but there was no reason why that couldn't take place in 2018, in theory.

Fair enough if you genuinely thought it was that good, but in my opinion while there was some decent racing the result was ultimately determined because a tyre started to break up, not because of great racing.

Soldato
Their deposition asserts that they didn't bring it to Monza due to supply issues.

If we take Haas at their word, it's the downside of using third party suppliers for the majority of their components. The other teams have large in-house composite teams. Dallara have many other customers for their turnkey products.

Caporegime
Yep, but there was nothing stopping them using an older, legal, floor, which certainly won't have helped their case.

The new floor was tested in Belgium, as per this article

The new floor they ran in Belgium will be the legal one. They were warned prior to the summer break they needed to change the floor after a rules "clarification" from the FIA.

Soldato
The new floor they ran in Belgium will be the legal one. They were warned prior to the summer break they needed to change the floor after a rules "clarification" from the FIA.
That could well be the case. I assumed the new floor was the illegal one. In either case, they must at some point this season have had a legal floor they can re-use so the supplier excuse just doesn't wash.

Caporegime
It's an opinion, hardly a fact. Just base the rating on how good a race was. Montreal 2012 was 10/10, but there was no reason why that couldn't take place in 2018, in theory.

Fair enough if you genuinely thought it was that good, but in my opinion while there was some decent racing the result was ultimately determined because a tyre started to break up, not because of great racing.

I dont see how you can ever get a great race then?
Wasnt great.. Because it was the weather
.. Because tyre wear wasnt the same
.. Because a safety car brought field close
.. Because..

Having ferrari or. Kimi (depending) destroy. The tyre quicker than. Hamilton or Mercedes is surely as close to racing as you are going to get. A difference was produced likely due to completely team/driver dependant factors. That to me is racing

Back
Top Bottom