Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2018, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2018 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Vettel is very, very fast. You can't take that away from him. The rest of his racecraft has been highlited as questionable in these last few seasons.

It was difficult to see when he was in the Red Bull as he had clear no.1 status and the car was so much faster than anything else.

Soldato
I dont see how you can ever get a great race then?
Wasnt great.. Because it was the weather
.. Because tyre wear wasnt the same
.. Because a safety car brought field close
.. Because..

Having ferrari or. Kimi (depending) destroy. The tyre quicker than. Hamilton or Mercedes is surely as close to racing as you are going to get. A difference was produced likely due to completely team/driver dependant factors. That to me is racing
The first laps after the safety car were good close racing. The tyre issues made the race interesting, but I wouldn't say it made for a better race as such. If anything it took away from the race as there was an element of inevitability about it, the same as Austria when Ricciardo's fell apart and Hamilton dropped back.

Speaking of Austria, that had a similar amount of overtaking and battling near the front and similar tyre issues, but that only had 2 votes of 10/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
The first laps after the safety car were good close racing. The tyre issues made the race interesting, but I wouldn't say it made for a better race as such. If anything it took away from the race as there was an element of inevitability about it, the same as Austria when Ricciardo's fell apart and Hamilton dropped back.

Speaking of Austria, that had a similar amount of overtaking and battling near the front and similar tyre issues, but that only had 2 votes of 10/10.

But Hamilton DNF so it can't be a 10/10 for many

Man of Honour
OP
Haas were told by the FIA the moment that another team contested their floor (which Renault did) they would be liable for disqualification.

Associate
During the middle of last week, me and a friend were offered a General Access ticket to Monza, as long as we could both get there.

A hasty easyjet flight and a hostel booking later and off to Milan/Monza we went!

Had a great weekend, watched the race from the inside of the Parabolica just by the Pit Entrance, was good to see the drivers setting up overtakes and had a video screen in view to see them finish them off.

Walked the entire infield in the General Access section, which pretty much spans everywhere and they even have small grandstands/seating areas in some places.

The atmosphere was crazy all the way up to the point Lewis overtook Kimi, then it went flat and the people in Red started leaving in droves.

Got onto the track after the race, the pit straight was crazy post race and the Tifosi made their thoughts heard during the podium ceremony. I can imagine it was a lot louder around the track than it was on TV.

Walked the entire track and got also myself up to the old Monza Banking too which was very cool. You weren't really supposed to be up there, but the Italian Security didn't care.

Spotted this in the F1 E-Sports Fan Zone after the race, must be a tidy little number for OcUK ;)

LggzwAH.jpg

Caporegime
It was always questionable tbh. He was the original crash kid for a reason.

I just did a couple of searches of old posts as I remember questioning Vettel's racing ability years ago, check these out:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/19658007
July 2011 said:
Because his [Vettel's] main attribute is driving fast when in clean air, when he's following another car he has no plan B except for hoping his team can get the job done via a pit stop. I'm very keen to see how he performs when Ferrari and McLaren are on par with Red Bull on a more regular basis (which is hopefully very soon given the last 2 races).

How about this:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/16910974
July 2010 said:
I blame Vettel for having no class when "racing", he cut across into Webber hoping that Webber would brick himself and move - no excuse for that, same thing in the China pit lane incident when he tried to squeeze Hamilton into a potentially dangerous pit lane accident, in both incidents he simply had to hold his line.

Vettel simply doesn't seem to like cars alongside him and feels the need to use his car as a weapon in those situations.

Do the bold bits sound familiar?

I have to say though it's quite concerning for his fans that he's not learned much in 7 years.

Soldato
Here's a clearer view of what happened between Alonso and Magnussen at the end of Q2. Basically Alonso was leaving space, Magnussen stole it before Parabolica and Alonso decided he wasn't having any of it :)

Another one to file under 'Magnussen being a dick'.

Transmission breaker
Don
RE Vettel: yup, just look at China in 2016 when he got spooked by a fast TR coming up the inside of the right hander when he ran a bit wide (Kvyat?).
Ended up taking out Kimi. He is not good in traffic or under pressure!

Caporegime
Here's a clearer view of what happened between Alonso and Magnussen at the end of Q2. Basically Alonso was leaving space, Magnussen stole it before Parabolica and Alonso decided he wasn't having any of it :)

Another one to file under 'Magnussen being a dick'.

They even said that it was Grosjean then Magnussen so KMag passed Romain too.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom