It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Man of Honour
Even my usually dependable garage was empty this morning. It’s only getting worse around London. I saw a load of cars following a tanker, I’m not surprised at this point.

Soldato
Even my usually dependable garage was empty this morning. It’s only getting worse around London. I saw a load of cars following a tanker, I’m not surprised at this point.
Tankers doesn’t mean petrol or diesel! Remember those idiots that followed a double ended tanker with cement? Besides a tanker like that doesn’t hold fuel. Then have things such as milk and sugar are delivered to food production factories in tankers. Though they are usually emblazoned with Arla, Muller and British Sugar. Anyone who follows a tanker with something on it suggesting it’s not fuel, should never drive again.

Then those who see a tanker and follow it. How do they know 1. Is it empty or full and 2. If it’s full, does tanker contain unleaded or diesel?

Permabanned
Tankers doesn’t mean petrol or diesel! Remember those idiots that followed a double ended tanker with cement? Besides a tanker like that doesn’t hold fuel. Then have things such as milk and sugar are delivered to food production factories in tankers. Though they are usually emblazoned with Arla, Muller and British Sugar. Anyone who follows a tanker with something on it suggesting it’s not fuel, should never drive again.

Then those who see a tanker and follow it. How do they know 1. Is it empty or full and 2. If it’s full, does tanker contain unleaded or diesel?

Doesn't the hazardous substance plate they clip on the back state what it's carrying? I seem to recall it says petroleum product or similar for the fire and emergency services information.

I am surprised some enterprising Arthur Daley isn't flogging fuel in 25 litre containers yet if the demand is so great down there.

Last edited:
Soldato
:cry: Go on... and how did you know they were following the tanker, versus just being part of regular traffic?

Sounds like a cheesefest story.

Soldato
Guildford has fuel :) Just filled up at the Burpham Sainsbury store. No limits and seems normal. Also the BP coming off the A3 also has it too.

Next few days will be running around, 50 miles one trip, and only had 100 miles in the tank.

Soldato
Think diesel and petrol have the same signs!
Apparently what's on the wagon is neither petrol or diesel, it is simply called "oleum". At the point the tanker gets to the forecourt and releases the "oleum" it is mixed with 'Petr' or 'Dies' (pronounced 'deez') which if you stand close enough is a smelly sticky orange substance.

At the point it mixes this is how we end up with "Diesoleum" or "Petroleum".

The fact most diesel is going out before the petrol is, imo, just another politicans way of sticking a knife into diesel cars like they did a few years back. The driver can just mix a batch of diesel right there and then.

Associate
There’s still no fuel at my local patrol stations, although the queues when they do have deliveries are smaller (near High Wycombe).

Luckily we haven’t needed to fill up, but probably will do by the weekend. Hopefully it’ll be sorted by then. May get my Christmas turkey from the freezer isle at the same tine just in case :D

Associate

The mid lift axle on the tractor unit should be up when empty and down when full on a tanker, they are automatic nowadays

Permabanned
Apparently what's on the wagon is neither petrol or diesel, it is simply called "oleum". At the point the tanker gets to the forecourt and releases the "oleum" it is mixed with 'Petr' or 'Dies' (pronounced 'deez') which if you stand close enough is a smelly sticky orange substance.

At the point it mixes this is how we end up with "Diesoleum" or "Petroleum".

The fact most diesel is going out before the petrol is, imo, just another politicans way of sticking a knife into diesel cars like they did a few years back. The driver can just mix a batch of diesel right there and then.

Having read that rubbish several times I admit to not being sure if i's a wind up or you played truant when fractional distillation was taught.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom