It's snowing

I live near carlise and we got about 2-3 inches on saturday and its been the odd snow shower since not much really a little more would be cool. Not like what their getting in the north east. Its hard to believe that just over the Pennines they are snowed in.

Keep the photo's coming its just amazing what ppl are waking up to.

Last edited:
Sheffield at 9am .. nothing was stirring not even a mouse .

150821_1531449521297_1086523298_31421655_2593812_n.jpg

Quite a bit heavier here now, woke up this morning and only just managed to get the car up the hill and out the road to park it ready for work tommorow (if I can work that is). Left the ladders on the roof, hopefully some little scroat doesn't walk off with them.

I dont think id mind if theyd just be able to grit the roads properly. Its easily 12-16 inches here, cba to freeze my nuts off checking, and so far ive seen 2 gritters this week (1 doing the ring road through town at 9pm when no1 was out and has now snowed over again and another travelling on a snow filled main road and not even gritting), its like theyre waiting for something or the guy who gets the grit in swapped it all for some magic beans.

As it is now is a pretty site and a nice walk in the park - on my day off. The rest of the time its a nightmare to get to work, no post or deliveries and incredibly busy at work as nobody else turns up so everyone is phoning me.

As I have seen many many times, they grit the roads. Grit is only good for ice. They need to plow first. Not all of them do!

Neither of Oxford's gritters have a plow attachment ... or at least they didn't last year lol

If this country was smart we'd follow the US route of using dump trucks as snowplows, and encourage farmers to help out with their tractors with plow attachments.

I don't know why everyone gets so annoyed about it

You either want it or you dont :p...

I have to get to work so i don't. Sadly its not the kind of job everyone can just go "oh, snow day" so someone has to be there 24/7. If i don't go in either guy thats i'm taking over from stays after his 12 hours are up or some other poor bugger has to try and go in.

What annoys me most really is the total ineptitude with which it is dealt with every year it happens. Its the standing on a train platform where the only information you have is "delayed". How long will it be? Where is it now? Don't try and convince me that your trains went through the Bermuda Triangle and suddenly you don't have a clue where they are. They cant exactly take a wrong turn.

I actually hope we start getting something like German winters so that the authorities have no choice but to devote more money to dealing with the problem properly instead of for 2 weeks a year where it just isn't viable to buy lots of ploughs etc.

EDIT: just so that people know, i do like snow. I just hate that the country seems to just give up whenever we get any.

Last edited:
I actually hope we start getting something like German winters so that the authorities have no choice but to devote more money to dealing with the problem properly instead of for 2 weeks a year where it just isn't viable to buy lots of ploughs etc.

A snowplow attachment is pretty cheap, and can be mounted to garbage trucks I'm pretty sure as USA uses their dump truck fleets to plow snow.

It's been snowing here pretty much non stop since Sunday. easily two feet of the stuff in the garden. Car is proper stuck so today's non-essential journey is downstairs to the kitchen. Work can take a run and jump!

031lb0.jpg

The view from the bedroom window. The black 'smudge' in the bottom right is my car which was completely cleared last night for the journey home from work. The snow on top is only last night's fall.

Back
Top Bottom