DSC_7108.jpg

DSC_7118.jpg

Snow Spoiler? :p
DSC_7141.jpg

DSC_7179.jpg

DSC_7185.jpg

Last edited:
Where in East Sussex are you?

I'm on the West Kent/East Sussex border, we've got about a foot here I think, haven't measured it yet. I've never seen it this deep here, ever.
Last night we drove to the Ashdown Forest and then onto Uckfield towing loads of cars out, it was pretty bad on the forest even at 9pm last night, so god knows what it looks like now!

Sorry ... my location isn't that clear. Home is Hastings but I'm in Canterbury atm, seen pictures of home and they have about a foot too. 6-8inches in Canterbury.

Gritting doesn't really help with snow, it's main use is as an anti-freeze for stopping ice forming on roads. For heavy snow fall like we've had we really need ploughs but there simply aren't enough in this country.

Yeah spot on.

I lived in Canada for a couple of years and there they have these huge snow ploughs that will push all the snow off the highways. They can do it at some speed as well.

For side roads, car parks etc. they tend to use JCB type machines, as obviously you need to be a bit more careful about where you put the excess snow, as obviously on a highway it doesn't matter if it all goes to the side as there is no pavement.

Finally you have an entire industry that resolves around snow clearing. A lot of companies that do gardening and landscaping will switch to snow clearing during winter. So you can pay to have your property cleared of snow.

Trouble is in this country, unless we keep getting severe winters, it's not worth investing in snow ploughs. Snow clearing businesses aren't going to be created unless it's regular enough to make a profit.

One other difference to the past life in England, is that my parents and my grandparents tell me that when it snowed, all the men would lived on each road would help clear their road together. So that way it was clear all the way to the main roads (which would be clear) then everyone could get to work.

Obviously working habits have changed and there is the whole health and safety nonsense now about if you have cleared snow and somebody injures themselves as the result of it.

At the end of the day though, I see a lot of people always complaining about how side roads aren't gritted... the simple fact is that there isn't enough grit or gritters to do them. Plus as already been stated, its not really the grit that solves this.

Simplest solution with snow is that the quicker you can clear it, the less of a problem it is. If cars drive all over it, so it slushes, it's when it then freezes that it's difficult to get rid off and becomes too slippery to drive on.

Just woke up, we have had another few inches over night. Now about 16inches deep, and still lightly snowing. I am in Old coulsdon.

wow lots up on the hill then, its no where near that deep down in Coulsdon town, maybe 8-9 inches but the roads are clear.

my in laws live up on the mount on the other side of coulsdon so i dread to think how bad it is up there if you have 16 inches.

Yeah spot on.

I lived in Canada for a couple of years and there they have these huge snow ploughs that will push all the snow off the highways. They can do it at some speed as well.

Trouble is in this country, unless we keep getting severe winters, it's not worth investing in snow ploughs. Snow clearing businesses aren't going to be created unless it's regular enough to make a profit.

As me and someone else touched on, why are other vehicles not fitted with ploughs? every council has a fleet of large powerful garbage trucks that could act as ploughs. At the moment they aren't collecting any rubbish so at least they would be doing some good!

As i also said earlier, I hope we actually start getting more winters like Germany. At least that way the population and the authorities would have no choice but to learn to exist when there is snow. In fairness, the roads have been pretty clear for me thus far. The wife was stuck on the A23 for 11 hours on Tuesday night but that was't a snow problem, just a sheer volume of traffic and a couple of accidents.

The biggest problem by far is how appalingly the railways seem to cope when there is anything other than sun (and not too much mind, else the rails get soft). For years the rail companies have been paying out dividends to shareholders while the government subsidises travel and now its the government paying to upgrade the rolling stock and maintain everything. How did we get into this mess and why won't someone fix it.

Back
Top Bottom