It's snowing

Today we've got freezing fog, and it's showing no sign of lifting.

I don't know what the forecast says, but both my body and the amount of water (not ice) in the lake at Uni tells me that today is the coldest day yet.

More from NI...

snow1.jpg

Anyone seen any snowplough or gritters at all on the roads so far? I though that the councils were prepared but I have seen nothing being done, all local roads where I live are like ice ring.

Anyone seen any snowplough or gritters at all on the roads so far? I though that the councils were prepared but I have seen nothing being done, all local roads where I live are like ice ring.

grit trucks were out in Croydon last night but there was no snow so the ploughs were raised. Roads were great this morning :)

Snowed heavily in Kilsyth (Central Scotland) this morning, was solid from 6-11am, the depth on cars is now at 40cm (accumulated over the week). Traffic chaos with 1mph the average through the town for most of the morning. I'm just off to rescue the car which I abandoned due to traffic not snow, pics from my outing to follow.

Glasgow has gone mad with the snow today, I was going to head to Uni to begin my revision. Got up, got dressed, checked emails and was told it was shut. I'm now having a beer instead, wrapped in my duvet :D.

Got into work (Glasgow uni) back of 10am after an hour to get in, then got an e-mail about 12pm saying go home if using public transport. Ended up getting home about 3:30pm and that was only with sharing a taxi with five other people. :eek:

Roads were a nightmare with Clyde Tunnel shut due to jack-knifed lorry so was gridlock around it. Think the main issue was that the snow fell on the ice from the last lot so people weren't prepared for it.

I've heard that the council here were prepared, and they are doing an "excellent job".
I've not seen any real evidence. Clearing the main road is the "minimal job" and can not possibly be called "excellent".

Every side street I have been up or seen is a joke. 2-3 inches of smooth glass-like ice (made even worse by Saturdays rain) on all the pavements. Roads very similar... I feel for the older people or less able who live in these places as they are pretty much trapped inside.
I'd clear the path infront of our flat but don't want sued if someone falls...

Edit: Those pictures are a bit crazy though. Nothing like that up here, we've just got the ice and hard packed snow that never got cleared. :eek:

Last edited:
I've heard that the council here were prepared, and they are doing an "excellent job".
I've not seen any real evidence. Clearing the main road is the "minimal job" and can not possibly be called "excellent".

Every side street I have been up or seen is a joke. 2-3 inches of smooth glass-like ice (made even worse by Saturdays rain) on all the pavements. Roads very similar... I feel for the older people or less able who live in these places as they are pretty much trapped inside.
I'd clear the path infront of our flat but don't want sued if someone falls...

Edit: Those pictures are a bit crazy though. Nothing like that up here, we've just got the ice and hard packed snow that never got cleared. :eek:

Aberdeen is prettty bad tbh. Main roads are cleared but the pavements and any side road/streets are just solid ice with around 4" of compacted snow on top. Awful for getting about.

Back
Top Bottom