It's snowing

Down here in Brighton, the snow lasted 2 days before we had epic rain that washed it all away.

Now it is just uber cold with a thick frost everywhere.

Even my climate control is stuggling to extact any heat from outside - I get a blast of warm air then it sits there trying to accumilate some more. :-(

Finally got a decent amount of snow today, had to leave work at 1.30, took 3 hours to drive 20 miles to get home.

View from work
Photo-0001-2.jpg

Photo-0002-2.jpg

Road on the way home.
Photo-0003-2.jpg

Photo-0005-3.jpg

Aberdeen is prettty bad tbh. Main roads are cleared but the pavements and any side road/streets are just solid ice with around 4" of compacted snow on top. Awful for getting about.

Its shocking. I work with a few guys that came over here from Russia and they can't believe how bad they government lets it get.

* Luke Harding in Moscow
* The Guardian, Friday 9 February 2007
* Article history

Schools open, trains running normally, airports functioning without delay. Welcome to Moscow where, unlike paralysed Britain, life continued much as usual yesterday, despite 15cm of snow and temperatures as low as -27C (-17F).

After the warmest December and January on record, Russia's winter arrived on Wednesday night, carpeting the capital in whiteness and freezing the Moscow river. But when it comes to winter the Russians have one thing the British lack - a comprehensive plan. From the early hours of yesterday an army of snegoborochnaya mashina - snowploughs - took to Moscow's streets.

The city council employs some 50,000 workers to clear snow from yards. Result: everyone gets to work on time. Marina Orlova, a spokeswoman for the council, said: "For us winter starts on October 15. It ends in March. We have a committee of experts who meet every day at 5pm. They include a weather expert and an official from the crisis ministry. If there's going to be snow, we load up trucks and send them out.

So, we shouldn't even bother to try and do what they do? One pavement I walk along actually has a mountain of dumped snow from a snowplough! :o

all the extra equipment, all the extra staff costing the government millions a year, yet they may only be used every 4-5 years. Seems a waste of money to me.

What they need to get back to is allowing locals (and farmer) to clear roads/pavements. Right now they say if someone slips/crashes on a pavement/road you cleared, you are liable to be sued. How is that fair?

all the extra equipment, all the extra staff costing the government millions a year, yet they may only be used every 4-5 years. Seems a waste of money to me.

What they need to get back to is allowing locals (and farmer) to clear roads/pavements. Right now they say if someone slips/crashes on a pavement/road you cleared, you are liable to be sued. How is that fair?

totaly agree with letting farmers!! Ive been informed the local council here said

"its due to lack fo training, for driving in winter conditions"

to me.... what a loud of Farm animal waste!

I heard on a local radio station this morning, that local councils and the department of regional development here, have been negotiating for 10 years about who's responsible for salting/clearing pavements. Still no decision taken, cash strapped councils were actually considering getting road sweeping teams to clear pavements.

Aberdeen is prettty bad tbh. Main roads are cleared but the pavements and any side road/streets are just solid ice with around 4" of compacted snow on top. Awful for getting about.

See, I thought I was just being a whinging old man... But there's a few people pointing out the problem it's causing. The Council really aren't doing a good job in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom