It's snowing

So far thiss winter we have has a dusting of snow that lasted a day. Last winter (Dec and Jan) we had about two inches twice that lasted a few days each. It's been less snowy the last two winters than it as for most of the last 10 years. It was a lot colder last Januarybut only just for the rest of the winter months and its supposed to be above average in the new year.

All in all... A little more snow (in some places) and more consecutive cold periods rather than a few short cold periods.

Disagree, "A little more" can't be used to describe the amount of snow we've had here in Central Belt Scotland. It's snowed harder and longer, and people are reporting lows of -15c on the motorway itself.

Today:

uksnow7.jpg

What site or link did you get this map from?

So far thiss winter we have has a dusting of snow that lasted a day. Last winter (Dec and Jan) we had about two inches twice that lasted a few days each. It's been less snowy the last two winters than it as for most of the last 10 years. It was a lot colder last Januarybut only just for the rest of the winter months and its supposed to be above average in the new year.

All in all... A little more snow (in some places) and more consecutive cold periods rather than a few short cold periods.

The harshest weather conditions in the north east I have experienced in the last 20 years.

Over a foot of snow, with 2-3 feet in places and consecutive night time temperatures of -10oC makes this a pretty remarkable cold spell for most of the country.

Its only because the south hasn't been as badly effected that we don't hear about it as much. When London gets 0.1CM of snow the world is coming to an end whilst we have snow up to our knees and barely gets mentioned! :)

reply to weescott

The hill is in the other direction, those pics are walking down to the house

Last edited:
Today the roads have finally been cleared outside of my house and theres a pile of snow now about 5 foot high running the entire distance of the road lol. Never seen anything like it. Also they covered up the foot paths with it, so you have to basically climb over it to get anywhere at the moment on foot :(

Disagree, "A little more" can't be used to describe the amount of snow we've had here in Central Belt Scotland. It's snowed harder and longer, and people are reporting lows of -15c on the motorway itself.

-15? During the day or at night? Night, well that is normal isnt it (at least only 5 or so years ago), during that day it's a bit unusual but not that unusual. :confused:

The harshest weather conditions in the north east I have experienced in the last 20 years.

Over a foot of snow, with 2-3 feet in places and consecutive night time temperatures of -10oC makes this a pretty remarkable cold spell for most of the country.

Its only because the south hasn't been as badly effected that we don't hear about it as much. When London gets 0.1CM of snow the world is coming to an end whilst we have snow up to our knees and barely gets mentioned! :)

True 1 ft of snow is a lot but only in some reasonably isolated* places (The east coast of northern England and Scotland) Most of the rest of the country hasn't had much more (if not less) than a usual winter. It's just unfortunatel for those with foot of snow that the percipitation kept hitting the same places rather than th entire country. Last week there were two almost constant thin streams of precipitation, hitting the NE coast and around Aberdeen, rest of the country had very little other than one night.

I'm only 24 and I remember when -10 was pretty common on a winter night in the south, it's just because we have got used to the warm winters of the last few years that it seems cold. I remember only 10 years ago ice on our pond most nights in winter, the last 5 or so years (other than last winter) it was rare for it to freeze over at all.

Everyone seems to be making the last winter or two seem like the end of the world, it's nothing like that, it's just a slightly colder than average winter with less snow for a large proportion of the country.

*By isolated I mean small areas, not middle of the hills style

-15? During the day or at night? Night, well that is normal isnt it (at least only 5 or so years ago), during that day it's a bit unusual but not that unusual. :confused:
-snip-

Does it matter? People were stuck on the m8 all day and night earlier this week in freezing temperatures.

Oh and some missed the Frankie Boyle Show, and were told no refunds. :eek:

Can confirm the -15 during the day temp. Got to work on Tuesday, just south of Edinburgh and it was -11.5 at 9.30am.

That's not really during the day, hat's only a couple of hours after the coldest night time temperatures. -11 at 2pm is very different however

Does it matter? People were stuck on the m8 all day and night earlier this week in freezing temperatures.

Oh and some missed the Frankie Boyle Show, and were told no refunds. :eek:

Yes, -15 during the day would imply one of the coldest temperatures in the UK on record, at night/early morning however just implies a slightly below average winters night.;)

Either way my point is there realy isn't much different now to a standard winter in the UK. Just imagine if we get proper, proper winters back, how would everyone cope (talking about winters we had in the 18/19th and early 20th century).;)

EDIT: As for temperatures, -15 gives us a lot of leeway. Even London's got colder than that with a -21 degrees (although a couple of hundred years ago). -27 needs to be broken in scotland before we get to record lows (1982).

Last edited:
I officially hate winters more than ever now. Trying to walk home from work on pavements is a nightmare. Everyone I passed was having a hard time staying upright. I haven't slipped yet but came close a number of times. lol.

Its time like this I wish I had a car.

this morning around manchester was havoc, the snow has melted and whats left on the streets has hardened into ice, then it rained. created an ice rink.

accidents all over the place closing most majors commute roads. not good for a truck driver like myself :(

one street i delivery to, was crawling at about 5 mph, tried to stop ended up sliding half way down the street. very dangerous on the roads. had no chance trying to carry sacks of parcels up drives and accross roads.

Back
Top Bottom