It's snowing

this morning around manchester was havoc, the snow has melted and whats left on the streets has hardened into ice

Most of the roads (other than the little estate ones) are all clear now, but the pavements are absolutely lethal! When my dad drops me off a little way from school (on his way to work), I have to walk down a moderately sloping hill next to a busy road, which is absolutely covered in ice! It's actually extremely dangerous, and I have nearly fallen (next to a busy road, and low stone wall on the other side) many times. Walking down to the train station is even worse! wish government would hurry up and make unemployed people do some work, starting with clearing solid ice from the pavements!

Most of the roads (other than the little estate ones) are all clear now, but the pavements are absolutely lethal! When my dad drops me off a little way from school (on his way to work), I have to walk down a moderately sloping hill next to a busy road, which is absolutely covered in ice! It's actually extremely dangerous, and I have nearly fallen (next to a busy road, and low stone wall on the other side) many times. Walking down to the train station is even worse! wish government would hurry up and make unemployed people do some work, starting with clearing solid ice from the pavements!

It annoys me that all these roads are gritted and no one looks after pavements.

I reckon a good third if not half the people get public transport to work, which will involve walking some distance to/from bus stops/train stations. It's a hazard. No wonder A&E records are up 3 or 4 fold.:mad:

It annoys me that all these roads are gritted and no one looks after pavements.

I reckon a good third if not half the people get public transport to work, which will involve walking some distance to/from bus stops/train stations. It's a hazard. No wonder A&E records are up 3 or 4 fold.:mad:

at my daughters school, they do not grit the footpath leading to the school.(the footpath is not on school property, but just leads to the school)
i asked a teacher the reason why and he said
"if we leave the footpath alone, and someone slips, its not our problem.
if we grit the footpath, and someone slips, we can be sued"

i couldn't belive this, but he was adamant it was true, and that it was advice from the council

what a crazy world, or he was pulling my leg

That makes no sense, if they grit the pavements they've done their job and it's up to the pedestrians to walk with care. If they don't grit the pavements and you have an accident, then it's clearly their fault for not ensuring public safety is at an adequate level. It's bad enough when you see pedestrians resorting to walking on roads because the paths aren't gritted.

Simply put by that person; I can't be bothered to grit the pavements.

I'm currently in Germany and all pavements here have been gritted, there hasn't been much snow here, 1-2 cm but I haven't seen it cause many problems. I nearly slipped on a crossing, within an hour someone was gritting it.

Someone needs to invent self-gritting road and pavement surfaces. E.g. add a layer of salt to the top layer of bitumen or something. I know nothing about these things so that might be entirely ridiculous.

Someone needs to invent self-gritting road and pavement surfaces. E.g. add a layer of salt to the top layer of bitumen or something. I know nothing about these things so that might be entirely ridiculous.

In Oslo city centre, Norway, they have heated pavements/roads.

It's ridiculous, but true sadly. No wonder no-one tries to help each other out clearing pavements/roads/driveways anymore!

I'm not buying the received wisdom of being sued for clearing snow. It's rubbish.

Will you be given a guarantee you cannot be sued? No, if you recklessly endanger peoples safety by your actions what do you expect?

Not being given an exemption to personal responsibility is not the same as saying you will be sued if somebody has an accident, they would still need to prove your actions contributed to their fall, which they wouldn't, so why does anyone care?

Stupid health and safety paranoid middle management. Easier to sit on your hands than risk firing up both brain cells at once.

I'm not buying the received wisdom of being sued for clearing snow. It's rubbish.

Will you be given a guarantee you cannot be sued? No, if you recklessly endanger peoples safety by your actions what do you expect?

Not being given an exemption to personal responsibility is not the same as saying you will be sued if somebody has an accident, they would still need to prove your actions contributed to their fall, which they wouldn't, so why does anyone care?

Stupid health and safety paranoid middle management. Easier to sit on your hands than risk firing up both brain cells at once.

Wait what? They have brain cells?
If you have discovered that middle management have 2 brain cells, can we name it a telescopi brain?

It's ridiculous, but true sadly. No wonder no-one tries to help each other out clearing pavements/roads/driveways anymore!

the BBC have been here before

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8443745.stm

There is nothing which specificly states you'd be liable.

It goes on to say

But, Paul Kitson, a partner with leading personal injury solicitors Russell Jones & Walker, explains that a claimant would have to show you had acted either maliciously or carelessly, and that such a case would often be tricky in practice.
"It would be quite difficult to prove and quite difficult to proceed with a claim."

Its all bloody here-say, peddled by H&S fanatics that would rather just sit on there hands and do nothing !

at my daughters school, they do not grit the footpath leading to the school.(the footpath is not on school property, but just leads to the school)
i asked a teacher the reason why and he said

i couldn't belive this, but he was adamant it was true, and that it was advice from the council

what a crazy world, or he was pulling my leg

Important word there... "Can", it's a bit like saying you can be sued for spraying water on your path in mid summer. You potentially could but it's so unlikely it's not worth it.

It's rather annoying that this fallacy keeps coming up each winter, it's the usual though, people like to make things sound worse than they are. "Look what this country has become, you can't even grit pavements without being sued..." etc...

The salt would vainsh within a few weeks due to rain.:p

In mother Russia, roads grit you?

In Britain they do too, road have gritted me before. :( (When I've fallen on my face...:p)

Back
Top Bottom