It's snowing

anyone with pictures of the snow around swindon?

Im traveling on the train from leciester to swindon tomoz, its going to be fun :(

Not to bad in Glasgow though there is a covering of snow, my road is driveable and the main road that it leads onto is fine, it's not even that cold either. Though my widget says it's 0 degrees but feels like -6. Not quite sure about that.

I've got a flight early Wednesday morning, which I'm a bit apprehensive about. It's from Edinburgh which has been shut, then opened, then shut then opened. But, there's little you can really do. There's no point in getting stressed or anything. If the flight isn't on, then it isn't on. I'm more worried about getting over there than anything else. Let's hope Mr. Trot is a good driver ;).

anyone with pictures of the snow around swindon?

Im traveling on the train from leciester to swindon tomoz, its going to be fun :(

It's not bad at all on the more busy roads, but in the estates there's laying/packed snow on the roads. I'm fairly confident of getting out of my estate and to work tomorrow morning, if it doesn't dump again tonight.

Here are a few from this afternoon, near the Asda at the Orbital retail park. :)

03647e94.jpg

3d81d4e0.jpg

f4d96c77.jpg

1d59332e.jpg

Not to the same degree at all. Got stuck at Gatwick for 7 hours once as that's how long it took for the plane to get a dose of de-icer on the wings.....

That is why Heathrow stays open when every other major airport in the country closes.

The other airports just don't have enough snow ploughs to clear the runways etc.

I immediately thought of this comment after reading all the posts Ranting about Heathrow closing today.

Just thought i'd bring it up :D

Remember last year there was a video doing the rounds of two people bailing out of a car on an icy road in the UK?

Well i'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but this has to be a contender for 'muppet driving in snow of the year' for 2010.

http://www.********.com/view?i=5eb_1292710094

Apologies if it's already been posted. :)

Edit: 'oh god she's going to cry' - I'm sure putting it on the internet will help that. :)

Yep this is as stupid as it gets. Made my day posting that cheers. :D

The evening news forecast more snow (another 10cms) for the South West/Wales in the morning and then Southern England later on.

I've got a funeral down in Cheltenham to attend tomorrow and I'm driving down there but I will be stopping over at Evesham first and then going back to Evesham straight after the funeral - is their anyone around these parts who could tell me how the roads are down there at the moment etc? as I know that area have been hit with heavy snow.

We have had hardly any snow here in Leicester but I had to drive back from Birmingham yesterday afternoon and they had around 6 inches of snow!

Thanks - Liam

Does anyone know what the roads are like in Worcester and whether they're expected to get hit by this next wave tomorrow morning? I might have to drive there from Kent tomorrow.

I was driving around Cheltenham in the snow yesterday, but at about 5:30PM and it probably carried on snowing after I got back to the safety of Gloucester and beyond but while I was there it was fine to drive (If you don't do anything stupid and everyone else is sensible), although the city center must've been suffering. A woman on the radio said it had taken her 2 hours to go around the ring road and I over-heard a conversation in a shop in the retail park that a bus had driven into a shop in the city center so those two things probably go hand-in-hand.

It should be a bit better than it was by now though but I think more snow is forcast for this area tonight/tomorrow so it could be a bit iffy.

http://www.independent.co.uk

According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes - or eventually "feel" virtual cold.

You have got to laugh haven't you.

We have tractors round here with snowplows that do that Cheets, not some dude on a Telehandler :p

Howcome he showed up?

Wasn't sure at first, was like, is this the council, then noticed he had only done our road and a few streets down, turns out it was a farmer, he has a side business hiring out fancy dress costumes, just down the road from my street, tis epic seeing loads of side roads all snowed up, he just came down and cleared it out, he cleared ours because people come into the street thinking its in the street when its not, so he made sure people wouldn't get stuck and bugger off home.

First time I have seen him clear it like that.
http://www.independent.co.uk

You have got to laugh haven't you.

Wut, this is the worst snowfall I have ever seen, last time it was close to this was in the 90s

Last edited:
The one gritter that the country has purchased is probably locked up somewhere and cannot be used for 'health and safety' reasons.

Back
Top Bottom