It's snowing

Me want.

2epkh3m.jpg

[TW]Fox;18036739 said:
I think thats the point he was making - it was predicted the global warming would mean no more snow in the UK.

Yep, and I heard on the news (very) early this morning that this glut of snow is because of global warming.
They're worse at this than the weathermen

Whats all the fuss about, we've not had so much as a single flake of snow here in Burton, Staffordshire. It is however -12, which is pretty darn cold by anyones imagination.

Yep, and I heard on the news (very) early this morning that this glut of snow is because of global warming.
They're worse at this than the weathermen

What a load of bull! (Well mostly). It's called climate variation... Same thing with the quotes above, he didn't give a specific year as to when the snow would stop... The global climate is getting warmer, just because we have some variation (a few warmer than average years in the UK followed by a few cooler than average years) doesn't mean what he says isn't going to happen eventually (say 30-50 years).

This is from someone who is still open minded as to whether global warming is man made or natural. However just to add to that I mentioned my on-the-fence-ness to a load of geologist recently and they all looked at me like I was crazy, pointing out that it is almost a certainty... :p

If Global Warming is happening Europe will probably get colder. I'm sure I read about the North Atlantic Drift stopping because of it. Infact I think I saw a nutcase scientist on the internet proclaiming that it already is stopping and that Europe was going to be in for some **** this winter.

I normally love the snow, however, we are due to fly out to the Maldives on Thursday, so at this current moment in time, I am hoping for no more snow and a quick clear up at Heathrow!!

And to those saying where are the gritters.... There are actually over 3000 gritters in the UK. My road has been gritted a fair few times, but is still covered in snow. It's not some sort of magic stuff ya know!!!

If Global Warming is happening Europe will probably get colder. I'm sure I read about the North Atlantic Drift stopping because of it. Infact I think I saw a nutcase scientist on the internet proclaiming that it already is stopping and that Europe was going to be in for some **** this winter.

Yeah, due to a potential decrease in flow of the gulf stream due to an increase in freshwater from melting of Arctic ice. The Giulf stream has decreased by around 30% in the last few years, however AFAIK it not supposed to be connected to the ice melt and it's not supposed to be speeding up (the flow decrease that is), it's meant to be decreasing.

Either way it's still something to be looking in to, which is why there is a lot of research on it as it could affect not just europe if the gulf stream switched off.

There's also a natural occurance of "switching" of oceanic currents which happens regularly (every 10k years IIRC) that may be related, totally natural and nothing to do with global warming (the switching means ice will form at the south pole and melt at the north pole, excess water from the north stops the stream, sinking occurs and the situation is reversed so South pole melts and north pole refreezes).

How about South East?

Tomorrow afternoon according to the Countryfile weather, nothing showing on the BBC site or metcheck though... :p

Should be interesting to see if my friends going home for christmas get home tomorrow, one's flying from Heathrow to Aberdeen and another is training it down to the south coast. They had better be leaving early by the looks of things.

stressed or anything. If the flight isn't on, then it isn't on. I'm more worried about getting over there than anything else. Let's hope Mr. Trot is a good driver ;).

Mr Trot is the best of Glasgow Taxi drivers, that said when most of them get their licences from cereal boxes or free attached to the front of comics then maybe thats not such a reassuring thing to say :)

Back
Top Bottom