It's snowing

Already got a good covering here in Essex! I'm kinda suprised really. This is the most snow I've seen in ages (including the snow a couple of weeks ago) and if it snows again tomorrow :eek:! Usually we miss it all down south :p

Before people moan about a lack of salting tonight, with general temperatures set to be -8 to -12, it will just be a complete waste of salt, as that is generally below the freezing point of salted water.

Yeah, due to a potential decrease in flow of the gulf stream due to an increase in freshwater from melting of Arctic ice. The Giulf stream has decreased by around 30% in the last few years, however AFAIK it not supposed to be connected to the ice melt and it's not supposed to be speeding up (the flow decrease that is), it's meant to be decreasing.

Either way it's still something to be looking in to, which is why there is a lot of research on it as it could affect not just europe if the gulf stream switched off.

There's also a natural occurance of "switching" of oceanic currents which happens regularly (every 10k years IIRC) that may be related, totally natural and nothing to do with global warming (the switching means ice will form at the south pole and melt at the north pole, excess water from the north stops the stream, sinking occurs and the situation is reversed so South pole melts and north pole refreezes).

The cold air we are getting from the arctic, I thought the gulf stream was in the sea so what difference does that make when we get the low pressure (rain) and cold winds from the north, that in my mind means snow, we got hit big time with the snow, N Ireland had a red alert, we had yellow but got hit with 10 inch of snow in 6 hours, so cleary shows the met office cant get put out warnings like that, cue closure of M6 near me and 100s of vehicles just abandoned

Just looked out side we have freezing fog, epic

The cold air we are getting from the arctic, I thought the gulf stream was in the sea so what difference does that make when we get the low pressure (rain) and cold winds from the north, that in my mind means snow, we got hit big time with the snow, N Ireland had a red alert, we had yellow but got hit with 10 inch of snow in 6 hours, so cleary shows the met office cant get put out warnings like that, cue closure of M6 near me and 100s of vehicles just abandoned

Just looked out side we have freezing fog, epic

None of that has anything to do with my post though... :p

I was discussing the gulf stream (North Atlantic Drift) as mentioned by the poster I quoted. You are quite right though, this has everything to do with the jet stream instead, nothing much to do with global warming but more to do with La Nina, which is not actually global warming related either.:)

EDIT: -8 just down the road apparently, tempted to go for a wonder, love it when it's cold. :D

I normally love the snow, however, we are due to fly out to the Maldives on Thursday, so at this current moment in time, I am hoping for no more snow and a quick clear up at Heathrow!!

And to those saying where are the gritters.... There are actually over 3000 gritters in the UK. My road has been gritted a fair few times, but is still covered in snow. It's not some sort of magic stuff ya know!!!

heathrow was supposed to be a super airport though.... funny that so many flights got canceled because they couldnt de-ice planes.... ;)

Got back in about an hour ago. It's -13c and extremely foggy. Parts of my coat were freezing up. :p

Was hoping for more snow but it appears that this new band, like most, will either miss us or briefly touch us on its outer edge. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom