It's snowing

Bit nippy in and around Manchester today... town centre is a bit of an ice rink. Nearly fell on my arse coming into work and the only thing going through my mind as I flailed for balance was "I'm going to smash my work laptop". Brilliant.

one thing that really REALLY enraged me on Saturday night after we had about 4 inches was the incosistancy between different councils.

I live about 1.5 miles from the border of West Yorkshire and Lancashire. Having come over a very twisty, fairly trecherous road (should it be left untouched after snow) that had been PERFECTLY cleared, even wide open throttle in 2nd at 40 resulted in no wheel spin, as i descended down the other side of the hill, I came to the "Welcome to Lancashire" sign. At this point, there is a side road big enough for a gritter to turn around, and you can see its tyre treads and and almost perfect line on the border of black tarmac on the West Yorks side and white snow/ice. On the lancashire side of the border. Crossing this line it was wheel spin at 1100rpm in 4th at 5mph type conditions, despite it being one of the main routes in and out of the town.

I thought perhaps they just havnt got to this part yet, but when i got into the town centre, it was also chaos, cars sliding everywhere, even a day later the conditions are now frozen slushy ice, where as back over that border into west yorkshire you can still see where the gritter has turned around, and the road conditions go back to being spot on!

What excuse can the rossendale borough council have for such ineptness when the council on the east of them have managed to absolutely nail it?

Yorkshire > Lancashire;)

Yorkshire > Lancashire

Yeah - driving through Blackpool* this am, no probs - all main roads nice and clear and well gritted. Leave Blackpool and go into Wyre - roads slippery and not well gritted. Lancashire County Council just don't seem to be making an effort.

*Blackpool is a unitary authority independant from Lancashire County Council - it runs it's own services.

Does anyone know how deep it is in cirencester, It looks like swindon got a mild shower and has not really effected it. Looking at ciren on the radar it seems they must have got quite a bit more.

I live and work as a hgv driver in Cirencester and can safely say we are shaftted :( just had another 2 inches on top of Saturday's 8 inches.

Just driven home from Bath to swindon, M4 is pretty clear as are the roads in and out of Bath. Still a little slush on some of the roads into swindon (which I'll admit was quite fun at slow speeds in the mx5) but largely all the main routes are clear.

Ok I can safely say I have never seen snow like this before. It's been going for like 2 hours now as heavy as I've seen it. Shows no sign of slowing down either. I love it! Anybody south of me will be getting it all very very soon!

Still holding out here in North London. However, clouds are looking heavily pregnant and ominous. Please God, let Wednesday/Thursday be clear and Heathrow operating at normal capacity :(

Pretty much stopped in Bristol now and looks like it's moving away from us.

Still a hell of a lot of snow.

I got sent home from work at lunchtime. I thought they were meant to be keeping the main roads clear. I drove through the middle of Bristol, no grit on the roads, then I drove on a main a road to where I live on the outskirts of Bristol, again no gritting had been done. (two different councils) I dread to think what its going to be like after its frozen tonight. I expect my road to be tricky, but not the main roads. Have already been out to help a transit van get out of my road, they got stuck at the top - girl power! :cool:

Not snowed since Friday night/Saturday morning where I am. It started raining today which I'm hoping has dissipated most of the snow down the back roads which is good news for me and travelling to work.

All in all we've had it a lot worse earlier in the year and this month. Still, didn't stop work sending us home at 3:30pm today due to "Adverse weather conditions". Quite lolworthy tbh.

Snow is now heading north towards Swindon
50d1a1dd2a923a653f4205127aa3c90c.png

Back
Top Bottom