It's snowing

Wheels are not tyres... tyres go on wheels. And you only have one set of tyres on at any one time, so your overall tyre cost should not be greatly increased... and it would be massively safer. Not only do winter tyres mean you can actually drive on snow/ice, they also provide much better traction in cold conditions with wet roads.

Not do winter tyres mean you can actually drive on snow/ice, they also provide much better traction in cold conditions with wet roads.

Depends, better than cheap tyres perhaps, not better than yoko ad08's though.

Then again the winter tyres are only primacy's, bought them when I only had 200hp and are a bit silly now it's at 300hp, still, saves me wearing down expensive summer rubber pottering around and if it does snow I don't have to worry about sliding into the back of somebody.

Roads better be clear on Monday, don't want to have to phone in and say I can't make it to work on my first day :(

This should be fun. GG London.

Temperatures could plummet as low as -6C around London as icy winds blow in over the eastern coast.
Forecasters are also predicting "lots of snow" from Monday - that could "obliterate" East Anglia and spread to southeastern areas.
By Tuesday and Wednesday there could be significant accumulation of snow along much of the eastern side of Britain.
http://news.sky.com/story/1022049/snow-alert-cold-weather-beast-to-hit-uk

LOL obliterate?!

The cost would only really be of a second hand set of wheels so what £50-£100? Or a garage to change them over twice a year £20 each time. You would normally be using ur other tires so having another set just means using them instead of wearing down ur summer tires during that period and probably ruining them wheel spinning etc. No real cost involved if you think about it and the roads would be a lot safer :rolleyes:

Hear hear. Most of the rest of northern europe make it mandatory for winter tyres to be used in winter. Why can't we do the same? At least it would finally stop the moaning that the councils haven't done enough...:rolleyes:

Why can't everyone spend an extra £50-100 if they want to drive around in winter rather than councils spend tens/hundreds of millions on equipment and personnel because people can't be bothered to change tyres.

I read this in the paper yesterday... Then went and looked at the actual weather forecasts for next week and they were much the same as this week... Chilly with a change of rain and sleet... Minimum temps of -1... :confused::rolleyes:

Hear hear. Most of the rest of northern europe make it mandatory for winter tyres to be used in winter. Why can't we do the same?

Because we don't have the same climate as Northern Europe perhaps? :rolleyes: I have not not a flake of snow here and doubt I will all winter. I don't need or want winter tyres compromising my cars performance in the typical conditions we have in the South West (it was 8c yesterday!).

In places where the use is mandatory all year (Hint: Very few countries mandate them categorically, most only mandate them in snowy conditions) snow turns up in October and does not leave the ground until April.

In the UK, we get a few days of snow every so often and everyone goes OMG ARGHGH WHY CANT WE SPEND 3 TRILLION QUID BEING AS PREPARED AS NORWAY ARGHGHGHG.

Then, the week after, they moan about government spending.....

The cost would only really be of a second hand set of wheels so what £50-£100? Or a garage to change them over twice a year £20 each time. You would normally be using ur other tires so having another set just means using them instead of wearing down ur summer tires during that period and probably ruining them wheel spinning etc. No real cost involved if you think about it and the roads would be a lot safer :rolleyes:
Which is fine if you drive something like a fiesta which has cheap wheels and tyres, but to those of us driving something bigger the cost rises exponentially. Plus a set of wheels and tyres takes up more room than a lot of people can spare. I know this myself from having a set of road wheels/tyres and a set of off-road wheels/tyres until I couldn't live with them taking up most of my shed.

Add to that the fact that for most of us we don't get enough severe weather to make it even vaguely worthwhile, it is a ridiculous idea.

[TW]Fox;23323797 said:
Because we don't have the same climate as Northern Europe perhaps? :rolleyes: I have not not a flake of snow here and doubt I will all winter. I don't need or want winter tyres compromising my cars performance in the typical conditions we have in the South West (it was 8c yesterday!).

In places where the use is mandatory all year (Hint: Very few countries mandate them categorically, most only mandate them in snowy conditions) snow turns up in October and does not leave the ground until April.

In the UK, we get a few days of snow every so often and everyone goes OMG ARGHGH WHY CANT WE SPEND 3 TRILLION QUID BEING AS PREPARED AS NORWAY ARGHGHGHG.

Then, the week after, they moan about government spending.....

Depends what you class as northern europe. I was thinking more places like germany but... Either way people should use winter tyres more and complain less about the council not spending money for those occasional days less...

I just get bored of the people complaining constantly (like you are as well) without actually taking any responsibility themselves.

Personally I don't care, I don't drive. I just prefer if they didn't spread salt all over the paths I walk on, it makes too much ice..

Last edited:
Depends what you class as northern europe. I was thinking more places like germany but...

The use of winter tyres is not mandatory in Germany except for certain conditions in certain areas of the country.

It is also certainly not 'Northern Europe' :p

Back
Top Bottom