Jaaaaaag Owners

[TW]Fox;29388196 said:
Another quality JLR product then :p

the XKR had it's fair share of niggles, more than my previous Porsche and M3 put together but things are always sorted and as I keep the Jag warranty going so it never costs me

If you drove a F type you would forgive one hell of a lot, it's ridiculous, childish fun :)

While car was in garage having the storage box looked at and some warranty mod work to the sound system to stop resonant buzzing the gave me a XE 2.0d (180) R Sport

A few observations

The engine is amazing for a 4 pot diesel, incredibly smooth and quiet
The handling is awesome for this type of car, especially in dynamic mode
It averaged over50mpg while I had it and did over 60mpg on motorway

the bad bits

Some of the interior plastics are hard and cheap, especially the door panels
the window switches are in a daft place, the seat memory switches are where the window switches should be

and the really shocking bit is that with the few options it had it lists at £40k, 40 bloody grand for a 2 litre diesel :eek:

Absolutely test drive it and then see if the man maths still makes 35 grand add up. I guess the premium is because that engine is super rare, most of us have the 3L diesel.

Had my XJ just over 3 years now and still feel like a kid with a new toy.

EDIT: Doh ... had a brain fart - hello again Steedie !

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering an XFR at the moment. I loved my S-Type R and the XFR is just.... more.
I'd have another S-Type R in a heartbeat if it was a simple job to rig up an Aux input but seeing as the Jaguar interface is no longer made and no one makes a 3rd party interface for the later cars I'd be without my tunes and that's just not going to happen. Same deal with the XJR unless I can find one with the interface already fitted.

http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2692283

Am I mad?

I'm debating whether or not to buy this, it's 5 years old but everything else is just saying "Yes!!" to me, it's the spec I want with all the gadgets, the engine I want and the colour combo I'd want. I'm going to arrange a test drive later today as I could potentially get it as soon as next week

Help?! :D

That seems incredibly expensive for a 5 year old Jag :confused:

I'm seriously considering an XFR at the moment. I loved my S-Type R and the XFR is just.... more.
I'd have another S-Type R in a heartbeat if it was a simple job to rig up an Aux input but seeing as the Jaguar interface is no longer made and no one makes a 3rd party interface for the later cars I'd be without my tunes and that's just not going to happen. Same deal with the XJR unless I can find one with the interface already fitted.

No idea about the XFR, but a lot of XJRs come with the rear entertainment system fitted which includes aux in. I bought an aux cable for £5, plus a bluetooth aux adaptor for another £15, and I now have bluetooth audio streaming and phone calls. Sure, it's not as elegant as a solution as you'd get in the newer systems, but it's small and unobtrusive enough that you forget about it. Quality is really good as well with the 12 speaker Alpine stereo, which again most XJRs have.

It's because it basically has all the kit and has a rarer engine. The 5.0 Supercharged V8's hold their value well

I'm not suggesting you buy one as I get you are a Jag guy but just to provide some context, a similar 7 Series (ie, the 4.4 Twin Turbo V8) is significantly cheaper - even newer ones cost less - as is a 2011 S500...

[TW]Fox;29777494 said:
I'm not suggesting you buy one as I get you are a Jag guy but just to provide some context, a similar 7 Series (ie, the 4.4 Twin Turbo V8) is significantly cheaper - even newer ones cost less - as is a 2011 S500...

Oh yeah, I completely get that. If I wasn't so in love with the brand, I'd not be willing to pay the premium. It's kind of a goal to own a V8 XJ though as silly as that sounds. Just love them in and out, I always sit in one when I go to the dealership and just think, I absolutely must own this one day

No idea about the XFR, but a lot of XJRs come with the rear entertainment system fitted which includes aux in. I bought an aux cable for £5, plus a bluetooth aux adaptor for another £15, and I now have bluetooth audio streaming and phone calls. Sure, it's not as elegant as a solution as you'd get in the newer systems, but it's small and unobtrusive enough that you forget about it. Quality is really good as well with the 12 speaker Alpine stereo, which again most XJRs have.

Yeah, an XJR with RSE is one of the options I'm considering because of the reasons you state.
My main issue with the XF is the interior is just so damn dated. The older interior in the S-Type and previous gen XJ although even more outdated technologically seems to wear its years more elegantly.

Yeah, an XJR with RSE is one of the options I'm considering because of the reasons you state.
My main issue with the XF is the interior is just so damn dated. The older interior in the S-Type and previous gen XJ although even more outdated technologically seems to wear its years more elegantly.
Which part of the XF interior do you think is so dated? They're obviously not as modern or featureful as some rivals, but the tech is still reasonable. The only thing which seems to have dated badly to me is the interface on the pre-facelift infotainment screen, get a facelift and it's fine. Some other interior options can date the car slightly, but there are alternatives which don't. My XFR has charcoal leather, dark headlining and the carbon veneer and doesn't feel dated at all IMO.

I don't know what it is to be honest. I think it's the way the nav screen is sunk in to the dash and sat in the large expanse of plain dash. To my eyes it just looks plain and dated.
Don't get me wrong though. It's a nice place to be for sure and I wouldn't complain too much about it (I'm seriously considering buying one) but there's something about it......

Every time I think I'd like an XFR (2014/15 plate, not the new model), I check and realise I could buy an F10 M5 or facelifted E63 for similar money (37-40k), albeit slightly older (2013). Both better cars quality cars imo.

For me, the XFR would need to be much cheaper to tempt me.

I'm in the market for a new car at the moment, and the new Jaguar's have really peaked my interest. Really like the new XF, but this will be my first time buying a car on credit, PCP or leasing.

I've seen a 'deal' for the XF R-Sport on PCH at £379 upfront and £379 p/m over 48 months, and the same car for £5.5k upfront and £359 p/m over 37 months on PCP.

No real issues with the monthly payment, I'd budgeting between £350 and £400 and I have a deposit of £6k.

Assuming I can drive down the list price by a few thousand, is this likely to come off the monthly cost or the deposit required? Also, I've not been to speak to a dealer or anything yet, so this is all purely speculative. I just thought I would check the knowledge of people on here.

Others I'm also considering (quite a spread):
Jaguar XE
New Audi A4 Avant
BMW 4 Series GC
Mazda 6 Touring Sport Nav

Back
Top Bottom