Jaaaaaag Owners

The price of that seems hilariously high?

That exact registration books at (35k miles):

Trade Grade hi £24390
Retail transacted: £27070

What gives at £35k?!

I think you're looking at the 3 litre Diesel engines at those prices?!

The V8 is quite a rare engine hence the price, the price seems pretty consistent across the Jag dealerships that have them in stock. Oxford has a 13 plate with less miles at £43k, but then it has 3 litre diesels at 28-31k for similar age cars

I was booked in to test drive that car in Oxford. When it first came on their site it was advertised mistakenly as 16k miles so I booked a test drive as I didn't mind paying a bit extra for the low mileage but with the intention of driving the price down or at least get a good trade in for my 60 plate XJ 3.0D

When they finally got pictures on their site for it, the mileage changed to 35k. I personally think it's too expensive, I would be looking towards £30k

I think you're looking at the 3 litre Diesel engines at those prices?!

He isn't - it's a mileage adjusted Glass's valuation for that exact car. The Retail Transacted figure is the figure they deem them to be changing hands for as a retail sale.

TLDR: It's overpriced.

The V8 is quite a rare engine hence the price, the price seems pretty consistent across the Jag dealerships that have them in stock. Oxford has a 13 plate with less miles at £43k, but then it has 3 litre diesels at 28-31k for similar age cars

These dealers are often bizarre with how they price these things. Some cars have ridiculous prices for months and months on end. I watched an F10 on the AUC site start off at 40k and end up at 30k eventually! No doubt anyone who initially offered 35k got laughed at..

Well I'll go in and say this then, and I'll go in with a few cheaper examples, but they're just going to point me to all their other stock at the same age/mileage which is around the same price.

I'll have a look at pistonheads tonight.

Well I'll go in and say this then, and I'll go in with a few cheaper examples, but they're just going to point me to all their other stock at the same age/mileage which is around the same price.

Ask them why they've still got all the other ones if they are priced so keenly :p

Frankly I struggle to see the point in something like a Supersport unless you are:

a) Rich beyond the point of caring and ordering a new one
b) Buying a £3k one in 10 years time as something to mess about with.

In the middle of the market what purpose do they serve? It's a rubbish toy, it's just not that sort of car. It's designed to be used - properly. It's designed to take you across continents covering many thousands of miles a year. Or take your CEO to the airport. For a private buyer it stops being able to do this by virtue of its ridiculous and prodigious thirst.

If you want to scratch the V8 itch do so with a car that's a genuine toy - do it with an F-Type. If you want an XJ, buy the diesel and enjoy it for what it is and cover many thousands of miles in it wafting to many interesting places.

£35k buys better than a 5 year old XJ.

I know you speak a lot of sense :( as always

I do really want an XJ, as I posted in a previous reply, I've always wanted to own one. I just don't want another diesel car, I really don't. I don't do the miles to justify it, and the only reason I compromised with the XF was because at that age, they didn't do a petrol engine worth having other than a 5litre V8 which at the time i couldn't justify. It's a shame that Jags just either do diesels or mad petrol engines, until now with the new 3 litre supercharged XE/XF's.

I'd love an F-Type but as I said, I don't think it's practical with a 2 year old, even with another car in the family. Plus a V8 will set me back around 60k for a good one, which is a bit out of my price range.

From what I can see looking at the XK's though, they never got the updated infotainment system? I know that's a really petty reason to not own one but from someone who owned an XF with that software, it was truly awful and extremely limited. Lack of Bluetooth music streaming and horrendous sat nav were two of the biggest annoyances.

Unless I'm wrong?

I looked at a 13 plate XK the other day and it still had the old one unless they used an old photo

You only live once, go for it, if it doesn't turn out liked your'd hoped simply sell it, it isn't life or death and don't listen to this lot telling you how it needs to be used. It'll do 35MPG on a run and the 500bhp engine is lovely, treat yourself, another tick in life's boxes. I recently drove down to spain in a 4.2 S/C XJ and it may have cost £100 more than a 2.7d would have but I'll be doing it again in september, taking the Pyrenees mountains in 6th gear all the way is effortless.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;29845338 said:
Ask them why they've still got all the other ones if they are priced so keenly :p

Frankly I struggle to see the point in something like a Supersport unless you are:

a) Rich beyond the point of caring and ordering a new one
b) Buying a £3k one in 10 years time as something to mess about with.

In the middle of the market what purpose do they serve? It's a rubbish toy, it's just not that sort of car. It's designed to be used - properly. It's designed to take you across continents covering many thousands of miles a year. Or take your CEO to the airport. For a private buyer it stops being able to do this by virtue of its ridiculous and prodigious thirst.

If you want to scratch the V8 itch do so with a car that's a genuine toy - do it with an F-Type. If you want an XJ, buy the diesel and enjoy it for what it is and cover many thousands of miles in it wafting to many interesting places.

£35k buys better than a 5 year old XJ.

They're not THAT uneconomical though, particularly on a long run, and the large fuel tank means you're not stopping for fuel that often either. I agree that if I had £35k to spend I wouldn't nescessarily be putting it into one of them, but it's just not true that they're so expensive to run that anyone who spends £35k on one can afford a new one.

There is something wonderful about driving around in a large, comfortable car with an incredibly smooth, powerful engine - even the best of the modern diesels don't come close to the 5.0 SC unit.

I'd quite happily take one on a eurotrip knowing I'd get 30MPG whilst being able to enjoy the power every time I left a tollbooth or joined a motorway - I honestly wouldn't care that it might cost me a few hundred more in fuel than the diesel version. Anyone who can spend £35k on a car isn't going to be too worried about the odd few hundred here and there anyway.

Steedie I am most definitely not referring to the diesel versions btw. That above is the glass book valuations for the exact variant. Hopefully it'll be helpful if you do negotiate on that car....

Personally it seems too far over book for me, I can't imagine they'll meet at a fair price. Unfortunately it is fairly common that dealers are just too far above the real value. :(

Yeah, sorry I realised that once I actually re-read your post, apologies

I'm certainly not going to pay £35k having looked around pistonheads, although 30-32k does seem about right, even looking on classifieds at trade cars

I wouldn't buy privately, just because I like the security of buying from a dealer with the warranty and service packs thrown in, and just the convenience, even if there is a premium.

I'll see how negotiations go tomorrow. I'm in a position where I don't need to buy it, and they know that so I'll walk away if it's not right

Fox is what my head wants to hear, you two come along and tell me what my heart wants to hear

Euro road trip in that car would be absolutely fantastic!!

Probably best to drive the 3.0 diesel back to back with the 5.0 SC and see what you think. For me, little stuff like the supercharger whine when you accelerate, the burble when you open the windows in town etc makes it for me, but I acknowledge that for 90% of people it just isn't worth the extra.

[TW]Fox;29828194 said:
That seems quite expensive, if you are in the market for a new XF surely you can scrape together a bigger deposit than 400 quid :confused:

I've got up to £6k to use as a deposit. The 'deal' was literally just one I'd found online and I'd not actually approached a dealer about it at the time. Still looking around for a better deal.

[TW]Fox;29777494 said:
I'm not suggesting you buy one as I get you are a Jag guy but just to provide some context, a similar 7 Series (ie, the 4.4 Twin Turbo V8) is significantly cheaper - even newer ones cost less - as is a 2011 S500...

As a piece of pure excellence the jaguar cannot be compared to the s500.

The xj is in a different league when it comes to drivability and design.

Went and had a play again on Saturday, and sat down with the salesman. Looking like I'll be putting a deposit down this weekend! :D

Just need some confirmation on figures this week which hopefully I get today or tomorrow, and if they match up to what we talked about Saturday, it's on! Just gutted I'll not have it for the meet on Saturday :(

So, after looking at a few XFRs and deciding that I really want a facelift but can't really afford a decent one, I've started looking at reverting to my old waft-mode and XJs. I can't really justify the Suspersport for most of the reasons Fox says so am looking at the 3.0 V6 diesels.
I've not driven one with a diesel yet. Any views on what they're like? How about the infotainment? It seems to get a lot of stick in reviews. I drove an F01 750i a couple of days ago and so that's the car it really needs to beat TBH.

Back
Top Bottom