Jaaaaaag Owners

I'd go for the X-type over the mondeo, comes with excellent 4wd. Had one a few years ago now, good little car and the 2.5 v6 is the one to go for.

Little high on the mileage that one probably why it' so cheap, I'd surgest going for that with less but they are cheap motors, plenty of them around.

My last post on here had my XJ from 2012 in it :P. I thought i would add a jag that i currently own, a 3.0 x type. I took it on the screwball rally back in September and this is me posing on the bonnet hung over in lichenstein

IMG_20150926_WA0014.jpg

This is still in my garage, i think ill paint it all satin black and either use it again or pass it on.

I had 2 X-Types, saloon followed by estate and both were fine cars. I think the X-Type gets under-rated because of the Mondeo in a fur coat image. For the typical age of them now, that's no bad thing - there is nothing tricky about them when it comes to maintenance & servicing. Fuel economy is nothing to shout about and the AWD is a bit heavy on tires, but nothing outrageous. The looks are a bit marmite, you either like the old style jag designs or you don't - and that also weighs against them in the used market.

My estate was originally going to be driven until it died, but some money came my way, a far too tempting a deal on a "real jaaaaag" and my brother buying a Boxster S pushed me over the edge. Someone got a good runner, I see my estate (an 05 plate) is taxed and MOT'ed 3 years after I traded in.

Ive had a XF demo for a few days. Lovely lovely car, its a nicer place to be than its German counterparts. its only the 163bhp company car special, but it drives really well. Its a barge, but its a got a certain charm about it.

Im not totally convinced on the infotainment system,the meridian stereo is rubbish, not a fan of touch screens in cars either, but otherwise a big thumbs up from me. Sadly i wont be having one, as it forgot how restrictive having a saloon can be, but its certainly a nicer car than the A6 i had last week.

I know we have a few XJ owners in here, was hoping to get some advice

I'm looking to upgrade to an XJ in a few months (possibly August when I've had the XF a year) and wondering if anyone had done similar and if it would feel like much of a change? I know it seems early to ask now but I wanted to start looking at them now so I'm pretty clued up when it comes to properly searching.

I'm looking at the 3.0 V6 unless I can find a stupidly good deal on a 5.0 but I doubt it :p

Are there any must have options? Is the LWB version practical for a daily driver? As in is it a nightmare with parking in most places? I'm paranoid about my cars at the best of times, but if it's sticking out a country mile in a busy multi-story then I'll never be able to relax :D

My SWB, previous model XJ can be tricky in multi storey car parks and does stick out a bit in normal sized spaces, so I can imagine a LWB new model one would be quite a bit worse.

I personally don't see the point of LWB cars unless you're an airport taxi driver or something. That said, I got used to the size of my XJ pretty quickly, so I'm sure even an LWB would be manageable, just a bit inconvenient at times.

Yeah, that's good to know. Only reason I mentioned them is they don't really seem to cost any more than the SWB in the used market so was just an option, but as you say, I really don't need the space

I know we have a few XJ owners in here, was hoping to get some advice

I'm looking to upgrade to an XJ in a few months (possibly August when I've had the XF a year) and wondering if anyone had done similar and if it would feel like much of a change? I know it seems early to ask now but I wanted to start looking at them now so I'm pretty clued up when it comes to properly searching.

I'm looking at the 3.0 V6 unless I can find a stupidly good deal on a 5.0 but I doubt it :p

Are there any must have options? Is the LWB version practical for a daily driver? As in is it a nightmare with parking in most places? I'm paranoid about my cars at the best of times, but if it's sticking out a country mile in a busy multi-story then I'll never be able to relax :D

Hi Steedie

I went from an X-Type estate to an XJ SWB in Premium Luxury spec. The petrol engine will be a rare find, just about everyone goes for the 3L diesel. The LWB version is really only for taxi duties, the extra legroom is probably welcome for adults on long trips, but for domestic use I don't see the point unless your family is very tall.

The MUST have is the reversing camera - you have no idea where your rear end is otherwise.

The rear does stick out in most car parks, but not hugely. I do tend to park away from other people when I can, if only to avoid the lazy fatties who can't walk across a car park to buy their skipful of pasties from greggs and brats who throw car doors open without thinking of others' property. it also give the peasants something to admire from afar.

Photos here as there can never be enough of them.

EDIT: After reading geekman's comment - there are no problem navigating a multi-storey in mine, it is very easy despite the size of the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for that :)

I had a pre-facelift XF without the reversing camera, and front sensors and it was a nightmare on that, one thing I made sure I had on the new XF so not surprised it's still a nightmare on the XJ

That's a lovely colour combo on yours too! A cream or light interior is a must on these as well imo, just suits the rest of the interior so well

Back
Top Bottom