Jaaaaaag Owners

The infotainment isn't as good as the XF in terms of layout, and if you get the dual view screens, it can look pretty shoddy due to the lower resolution.

It's strange as functionality wise, it contains everything you'd get on the XF (11-16) but the layout just looks a bit more basic. I couldn't pin point what it was but the menu layout looks a bit more bare, but navigating around it was fine in terms of features and the performance. But I was a bit disappointed coming from an XF just with how it looked, I expected it to be the same at the very least

Engine wise, the diesel is lovely. The cabin blocks out so much noise, that it makes the already smooth (for a diesel) engine sound even smoother. Performance wise, it's fine and because it's not a huge difference in weight to the XF (due to the aluminium body) it doesn't feel heavy. I actually prefer the 6 speed gear box on it compared to the 8 speed, especially around town, cruising down a motorway you don't really notice.

Get the supersport though....do it :p

Uh oh. I popped to my local Jag dealer and noticed that XKRs are actually affordable.
Spoke to the mrs (who is the main driver behind getting rid of the S2000 because we need another car that can take a child seat) and she's cool with one.
So, a new direction to be looking now. Probably a cab with the 4.2 rather than the 5.0.

Went and looked at a 2010 XJ 3.0D Portfolio from a Jag main dealer. Car looked good so have left him with some numbers to hit for me. If he gets close then I'll pull the trigger.

Uh oh. I popped to my local Jag dealer and noticed that XKRs are actually affordable.
Spoke to the mrs (who is the main driver behind getting rid of the S2000 because we need another car that can take a child seat) and she's cool with one.
So, a new direction to be looking now. Probably a cab with the 4.2 rather than the 5.0.

Should have bought mine. 5 litre cab SC for 21k :)

Should have bought mine. 5 litre cab SC for 21k :)

We tried an XKR a couple of days ago. Couldn't get the baby seat in behind the driver and so it would have to go behind the passenger which would restrict Monika's leg-room significantly.
Maybe in a few years once Tad can just go on a booster it will be OK.

Well, knocked that XJ on the head. Numbers were good but there was something that just didn't sit right with its history. MoTs were at strange intervals and it hadn't been taxed since February. Says to me that its last owner was trying to run the car with not enough money.
Walked away.

Going to look at a Premium Luxury later today. I had only been looking at Portfolio models but this PL has the optional B&W hifi, heated and cooled front seats, reverse camera, and the larger wheels from the Portfolio. I guess its first owner didn't care about the other stuff that goes on the Portfolio and decided to buy the cheaper PL and add the best options.
Looks like its worth a punt.

That sort of thing is fairly common on cars like this. They sit in stock for months and the tax gets cancelled when they are traded in. A dealer will put a fresh mot on each time they sell it, hence the interval.

Yeah, I figured that but it's only had 1 change of owner and yet the MoTs are at strange intervals twice.
Also, if it's been in stock since February then it's been sat around for a very long time.

Going to look at a Premium Luxury later today. I had only been looking at Portfolio models but this PL has the optional B&W hifi, heated and cooled front seats, reverse camera, and the larger wheels from the Portfolio. I guess its first owner didn't care about the other stuff that goes on the Portfolio and decided to buy the cheaper PL and add the best options.
Looks like its worth a punt.

Told ya :D

The upgrades to the Portfolio are worth it.

Check the sunroof rails, they corrode and Jaguar rejected my warranty claim on it saying the corrosion was from inside to out whatever that means.

Also check for sunroof rattles and oil leaks from the turbo.

Also turn the graphic motions or whatever they call it in the touch screen, makes it literally three times faster.

For me, the only Portfolio items that I really, really want are the B&W hifi, the reversing camera, and the cooled front seats. The other stuff (adaptive front lighting, heated and cooled rear seats, massage function) I don't really care about.

Going in to try and sort a deal on the XJ (http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2692283) tomorrow, we had a quick play with figures when I dropped the car back and it all looked much better than I thought, especially with what my car is being valued at, but having that F-Type has given me the bug for a good petrol engine

I tried to convince the other half and myself that if I got her a good deal on an MPV as a family car then I could run something like an F-Type, as the S model is pretty affordable around 40-45k for a 14 plate one, but I think once the novelty wore off, I'd be annoyed at the lack of space and the fact it only had two seats. So that idea was quickly scrapped. I then looked at possibly buying the new XFS which has the same engine from the F-Type, 3.0L supercharged V6 with 380BHP, but ultimately, I bloody love the XJ it's an itch I have to scratch.

This XJ gives me all the fun of that engine, and more given it's a nice V8 with a lot more horses, but all the perks of it being a very practical car in terms of space. Plus I just fell in love with it when I sat in it, all the gadgets I could possibly ask for and sounds silly, but my son just looked so damn chuffed in the back with the factory fit TV's in the headrest that I just know it ticks every box I'm looking for in a car

Mileage is slightly higher than I'd like, which is silly given it's only 35k and I don't exactly do moon miles, probably 8-9k max but more like 6k average. It comes with a 2 year warranty as well which is good given it's 5 years old now and checking figures on an extension with another 18k miles on, it's only £890 for the year, which isn't a huge amount really for a car like that

I take it you are aware that the rear seats don't fold down? I looked at the XJ but this put me off from a practicality point of view.

Going to go and look at a 5.0 V8 Portfolio XJ tomorrow as well as another 3.0D.
If both are good then I'll probably buy the V8. Yes, its not much faster and yes it has a lot less torque for wafting but given the choice between diesel and petrol with everything else equal I will always choose the petrol.
I do so few miles these days that the fuel cost difference in negligible. I'm also a bit concerned that the number of short journeys (<2 miles) I do might destroy the DPF in the diesel.

I had a 3.0D 2014 Jag XF R sport and was only doing a 2 mile commute to work per day on it. Took about 3 weeks for the DPF filter warning to come up. All I needed to do was to take it on the motorway for 20 mins to clear it.

So it just depends if you are happy to do that :)

And I am once again a Jaaaaag owner.
Just bought a 2010 XJ 5.0 Portfolio on 30k miles from a Jag main dealer. I paid about £1k over book for it but it really is outstanding.

Pics later.

Back
Top Bottom