Jaaaaaag Owners

I have a few questions, sorry to hijack the thread but calling on your experiences....

Im looking at a 2008-2009 XF Luxury 2.7D...after ive driven my fiancee's uncles...fantastic car and fell in love a bit.

A few questions if i may:

Whats the mpg around town and urban? Ive been on honestjohn and theyve said around 35mpg on a mix...92% of whats claimed by manufacturer.
The uncle reckons more like 45 around town and 55 on a run...im sceptical.

Main point is...what kind of problems/areas should i look at on these cars and are they renowned as having any faults?

Lastly what kind of mileage for that age do you feels acceptable...the example he bought was as follows:

2008 Luxury, 130k, £5k from Sterling Cars...but it has a gearbox problem (needs a new one) and he believes wishbone issues...so overall £1.5k of work - £6.5k hes paid.

My budget is around £8-9.5k...im looking for the best economy and performance i can get.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

I had nothing but problems with my early XF

Anyway, check all the electrics, tyre monitors, warning lights, remote locking etc etc

Check the boot for water/dampness, the seals go on the back lights and the boot fills up, not good for all the electric guff in there

Wheels can crack, tracking etc can be quite easily ruined, so check that too.

Personally I wouldn't buy another early XF again :)

I'm sure others have been fine :)

I had nothing but problems with my early XF

Anyway, check all the electrics, tyre monitors, warning lights, remote locking etc etc

Check the boot for water/dampness, the seals go on the back lights and the boot fills up, not good for all the electric guff in there

Wheels can crack, tracking etc can be quite easily ruined, so check that too.

Personally I wouldn't buy another early XF again :)

I'm sure others have been fine :)

Hmm doesnt fill me with confidence, but then this is one persons experience like you say.
Thank you for the info though.

I will be watching closely my fiancee's uncles experience with the Jag...it was lovely to drive though.

If you had my budget do you think i would be better off increasing it a few grand and getting a facelift model from 2011 i think it is and the 2.2D in say 6 months time?

The car was great, superb to drive but honestly I couldn't enjoy it as it was so unreliable. Just my experiences of course but I would advise going for a later model

I have a few questions, sorry to hijack the thread but calling on your experiences....

Im looking at a 2008-2009 XF Luxury 2.7D...after ive driven my fiancee's uncles...fantastic car and fell in love a bit.

A few questions if i may:

Whats the mpg around town and urban? Ive been on honestjohn and theyve said around 35mpg on a mix...92% of whats claimed by manufacturer.
The uncle reckons more like 45 around town and 55 on a run...im sceptical.

Main point is...what kind of problems/areas should i look at on these cars and are they renowned as having any faults?

Lastly what kind of mileage for that age do you feels acceptable...the example he bought was as follows:

2008 Luxury, 130k, £5k from Sterling Cars...but it has a gearbox problem (needs a new one) and he believes wishbone issues...so overall £1.5k of work - £6.5k hes paid.

My budget is around £8-9.5k...im looking for the best economy and performance i can get.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

First things first your Uncles 45mpg round town is way waaaay out, the 2.7d engine is getting on a bit now, round town your looking at seeing around 26/28mpg averaging around 34/36mpg and on a nice slow run it'll hit 44mpg.
Second thing don't by the 2.7 XF the 3 litre engine is leaps and bounds better, had the 2.7d in my Stype it was very laggy and really quite poor mpg, orginally we swapped a CTR FN2 for it and hardly noticed a difference in petrol to diesel bills.
My missis old man has the 3 litre diesel engine in his pre-facelift XF and it's excellent, really pulls well can can hit 50mpg+. The facelift models do look much nicer and you might find the 2.2 to be under powered. Test drive a couple.

Let us know how you get on it your search I can't stress enough to go for the 3 litre diesel I'm sure you'll get a nice one with your budget. But don't buy a Jag with exsisting problems you could end up fixing it forever more. Get the Portfolio for the best spec.

Edit: Just had a look at prices and you'll stuggle with 9.5k though it's worth saving another couple of grand for one.

Last edited:
yep the 2.7d is a bit long in the tooth, I have the S type 2.7d and mpgz are about 28mpg round town to 34mpg on a run. I have mine mapped to around 265Bhp which gets rid of the lag
id start looking at the 3.0d portfolio if you can :D

Thanks all...i did read about the 3L D being much better on the Jag Forum and here now...

Plus a few mpg better...my figures of mpg are from honestjohn and entries there by drivers, so more realistic than the manufactured inflated figures.

As long as i can hit about 40mpg on a run il be happy.

Ive been contemplating the A4 Avant and the 3 Series M-Sport Tourer but i want something a little more appealing and unqiue and the XF fits the bill

Like you say though for the 8-9.5k i think i may struggle, only 2 on autotrader...but it probably wont be for another 6 months, so il keep an eye out...i like to be fully aware of the cars i buy.

At the moment i have a Civic Type S Diesel so a big step up :-) Oh and a baby due any minute and a need to replace my partners Corsa with something more adequate (thinking Golf, Leon, Altea)...so busy times, but exciting all the same.

Torch [P4];30025784 said:
yep the 2.7d is a bit long in the tooth, I have the S type 2.7d and mpgz are about 28mpg round town to 34mpg on a run. I have mine mapped to around 265Bhp which gets rid of the lag
id start looking at the 3.0d portfolio if you can :D

That's a big map on something that has a little over 200bhp, is it a dpf car?

heres my couch on wheels :p

WP_20160620_20_20_28_Pro_zpsnvsghe4d.jpg

BRG 2.7 TDV6 SE with everything except phone / Bluetooth modules

Currently going through Jaguars customer relations centre regarding an ongoing issue I've had with my XF, 5 times it's been in with the dealer now for the same issue, and they've had the car probably just over 2 weeks combined across all visits and it's not been fixed and the problem is getting worse not better every time. Booked in for the 6th time but I'm probably not going to bother. Since owning it, just under a year, it's been in to Jaguar 11 times for warranty work

I thought my last XF was a bit of a lemon with all the electrical issues I had with it, but the issues with this car are mostly electrical. It's just put me off, so much so I pulled out of the XJ deal.

Depending on what happens with what the CRC say, I will most likely flog the XF. I've test driven a couple of 5 series and going back in this evening about their pre-reg 5 series stock

Well they sent their reply to the the initial 3 day investigation. The solution? They've just offered to book it in for a whole week next time instead, so basically what they did last time it was in then...

:D I give up! **** that car.

Quick question, if I was to go to another dealership as long as it was Jaguar, will they work on my car if it's under warranty? The closest one apart from Oxford to me is Reading, but it's not a Ridgeway dealership. I just want a fresh set of eyes on it, every mechanic at the current dealership has looked at and missed the issues so not sure what a 6th time in will do

Quick question, if I was to go to another dealership as long as it was Jaguar, will they work on my car if it's under warranty?
Any dealer will deal with it under an official Jaguar warranty, don't expect them to be massively better though :p I've had a few issues with my cars which have meant me doing a tour of local dealers until I find one who actually finds the issue, or agrees that it's a problem, or agrees that it's warranty work etc..

It's a shame how rubbish Jaguar's dealers and CRC have become, they don't seem to care at all about keeping customers happy these days :( My advice is to just keep on at them if you can be bothered, they'll normally eventually give you some credit to spend in a dealer as compensation for their incompetence :)

Back
Top Bottom