January Transfer Window 20/21

Caporegime
It is very poor as they might have blown their chance at winning the league. If they had just bought earlier.

If by earlier you mean the summer then maybe, however, no one could predict major injuries to their two main centrebacks.

Buying earlier in this window wouldn't have changed much, they aren't big fee signings that are going to slot straight in and give killer performances. Liverpool's problems over the last month or so haven't been defensive either, perhaps having Fabinho and Henderson back in midfield may have helped with the gegenpress.

Caporegime
Yeah Fabinho/Henderson moved into midfield is probably the biggest gain by having an actual CB. Very likely would've changed at least one of those results.

Don
Kabak
I think that's a bit of a stretch. A CB would have certainly helped us but in the games where we dropped points it was primarily down to poor finishing.

I do think though that we lost a bit going forward with best midfielders being in defence and also Trent and Robbo playing a bit more defensively

Don
Definitely, I said as much the other day. As Purdy says, you'd have thought that may have made a difference in one of those games but ultimately it was our finishing that cost us over that period. Other than the 2nd half of Spurs and yesterday, I'm not sure how much a new CB would have featured in the last few games anyway. Klopp's not really one for throwing new signings straight in the side.

Anyway, it sounds like Kabak is inching closer and it'll be a loan with the option to buy him in the summer.

Soldato
Davies is the more important immediate signing, he's been playing in this country and can more quickly be inserted into the team in lesser games, allowing Fabinho or Henderson to rest or play in midfield (so our midfielders can rest). We can't expect Thiago or Wijnaldum to play 90 minutes every match, and we're still using Milner a lot who is 35 and also is a cover for our full-backs. I don't think Davies is gonna play a lot in CL or against top half teams. Kabak as a loan with option to buy makes sense, he's 20 and if we can get him adapted to our style by end of season he can be a bargain, otherwise he can be let go while still offering some cover at the back this year.

With Gomez and Matip as injury prone as they are and uncertainty around VVD (player fitness can change after ACL injuries), we still need to sign a big world-class centre back in the summer.

Soldato
three?

Lindelof is nursing a back problem, Eric Baily is tackle away from having a season ending injury (knock on wood) and Harry Maguire plays every game so if he gets injured it would Axel Tuanzebe and who? matic ...

Lindelof is not currently injured. Bailly is not currently injured. Maguire is not currently injured. Therefore you have three fit, first team centre backs, which is exactly what I said.

Are you seriously suggesting you need to sign a centre back more than Liverpool, whose top three centre backs and best replacement are all injured, at least two for the long term?

Caporegime
OP
Merson's on fire today. Moyes inherited an aging squad and has done a great job in lowering the average age.

2019/2020 - 27.4yrs
2020/2021 - 27.7yrs

He's also written off Kabak because he played for a team at the bottom of the table so can't be very good.

Back
Top Bottom