January Transfer Window 2016/17 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
So fantastic that at 29 he's only really had one eye catching season in a different league. He has the odd good game, he was even poor against Liverpool last week, he just scored a free kick, heavily aided by Karius.

He had a pretty decent season 15-16 , his first in the EPL

His free kicks are usually spot on, and should have scored against Utd apart from a very good De Gea save

I dont see him moving to Arsenal though

i reckon rooney is going to end up at Arsenal on the quiet

Arsene will never agree to his wage demand - apart from the unlikely event of Utd selling to Arsenal in the first place

Soldato
He had a pretty decent season 15-16 , his first in the EPL

His free kicks are usually spot on, and should have scored against Utd apart from a very good De Gea save

I dont see him moving to Arsenal though

Arsene will never agree to his wage demand - apart from the unlikely event of Utd selling to Arsenal in the first place

Payet has scored from 8 free kicks in his entire career, its an absolute myth that he's some godlike free kick taker.

p.s stats taken from statbunker, if they are incorrect ill hide in a hole somewhere

Soldato
Payet has scored from 8 free kicks in his entire career, its an absolute myth that he's some godlike free kick taker.

p.s stats taken from statbunker, if they are incorrect ill hide in a hole somewhere

I think your right, its like Ronaldo free kicks now for years have been poor, i think when i last checked he had scored 8 out of 70 :eek: still a world class player mind

Caporegime

Total in a career is pretty meaningless if you weren't taking freekicks throughout your career.

Last year Messi scored 7 freekicks from 64 attempts, a 11% success rate. Ronaldo scored 4 from 45 attempts with a 9% success rate. Payet scored 5 from 30 attempts for a 17% success rate.

Regardless of what you believe Payet was an incredible freekick taker last year and probably the best in europe. Throughout his career, I have literally no idea if he took freekicks at his previous club, if he did but his manager had him under instruction to never shoot from them... who knows. But over the past 15-16 months there isn't a better freekick taker than Payet.

For the record as far as I can tell all time Messi has a total of 29 freekick goals, Ronaldo 48, in la liga specifically I think it's 16 vs 18 in Ronaldo's favour though Messi has a higher success rate of 8%.

The myth is that 8 out of 70 would be a bad result, that would be amazing over a long period of time. Freekicks are incredibly low success rate in general. The best in the world who take more than say 20 a year won't get over 10% success over a long period, there will be good and bad years but most years you're talking about 4-5 freekick goals on average for the absolute best freekick takers in the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's great but someone who is 29, has arguably had one decent season and scored 8 free kicks in his entire career isnt someone who's free kicks are "usually spot on".

Payet goes missing...a lot. He isn't anywhere near good enough for Arsenal, his level is where he is, hence why he's there...at 29.

The myth is that 8 out of 70 would be a bad result, that would be amazing over a long period of time

Apart from they weren't, 6 have come at West Ham, prior to that he scored 2...in his career.

Caporegime
Yes the point being, Messi has been playing for almost a decade, he's got 29 freekick goals... Payet scored 5 last year. There seems to be this idea that if you're great at freekick goals you're scoring 7-8 a year and any freekick taker is scoring 2-3 a year. The reality is the best of the best score 5-8 in their BEST season ever, in their worst it will be 2-3 and most average players who aren't great at freekicks will be lucky to score 3 in their best year.

5 in a single season is great. 8 over an entire career... is misleading because you don't know that he was allowed to take freekicks before the start of last season at his previous clubs. If someone leaves Real and scores 8 in a season, were they rubbish because Ronaldo was the one taking all the freekicks while they were at Real or were they just not taking freekicks?

There is an extremely large difference between taking hundreds over say 8 years and missing them all, and taking 70 freekicks and scoring 8 in the space of 14-15 months. Total over a career is meaningless because you can't quantify how many he's taken or if he even took any before last season.

Also people can do this thing called... change. It also doesn't even matter if he took hundreds and used to suck, since the start of 15/16, he has the best success rate of scoring from freekicks in europe.

5 in a single season without a hugely high number of freekicks taken IS world class regardless of if you choose to believe it.

Messi and Ronaldo are pretty much the best and most consistent freekick scorers and Payet's success rate last year blew both away.

Soldato

you dont have to score directly from a free kick to make it a good one

It can be an assist or even just a crucial "pass" which wouldnt show in the stats

Don
Payet's clearly a very talented player but I can't see him at a top club. He's a luxury player that has complete freedom to do as he wants and only plays in spurts. He's not good enough to get that sort of treatment at any club better than West Ham.

As for his free-kicks, I don't know about the rest of his career but since joining West Ham he's as good as I've seen. There's 4 players I've ever genuinely expected (or at least thought there was a decent chance) to score when they stepped up within 20 yards - Beckham, Harte (Leeds LB), Suarez and Payet.

Permabanned
Payet is in the top 10 players in the league, playing for West Ham. Pretty much improve any top four side.

Is he a good player? Yes but saying he'd improve any of the top teams is stretching it unless you mean as a backup.

In his position Chelsea have Hazard, Liverpool Coutinho and City Sterling and IMO he wouldn't be an upgrade on any of them. Arsenal maybe but only if Sanchez keeps playing up top.

He's not even an upgrade on Martial in the 6th place team IMO, more of a side-grade.

Caporegime
Well, when martial started last season, he looked cool, composed. He was a revelation for us.

This season he looks bereft of confidence, skill, workrate and has lost that composure.

He isn't a winger so while he is being played out of position I think that Payet could do a better job for us in that role.

Rashford and martial need to be playing up front, not stuck out wide.

Permabanned
It's being 'reported' that James Rodriguez applied for a UK Visa today. Chelsea and PSG are the two most recent rumours, could be Chelsea spending their Oscar money.

Soldato
Well, when martial started last season, he looked cool, composed. He was a revelation for us.

This season he looks bereft of confidence, skill, workrate and has lost that composure.

He isn't a winger so while he is being played out of position I think that Payet could do a better job for us in that role.

Rashford and martial need to be playing up front, not stuck out wide.

For once I can agree with you.

It hurts seeing Rashford out wide, when clearly he needs to be playing centrally.

Martial I think can be a good winger.

As for our potential signing Lindeloaf, not sure why we need another CB? Unless he is used as a full-back which I believe he can play, but again we could do with players playing in their best position.

An actual proper full-back wouldn't do any harm.

Soldato
For once I can agree with you.

It hurts seeing Rashford out wide, when clearly he needs to be playing centrally.

Martial I think can be a good winger.

As for our potential signing Lindeloaf, not sure why we need another CB? Unless he is used as a full-back which I believe he can play, but again we could do with players playing in their best position.

An actual proper full-back wouldn't do any harm.

I think Martial just needs a good run of games, and he will show Mou what he is capable of doing , really cant see what Rooney gives over Martial in the same position

Would love to MR upfront , but unfortunately the manager thinks Ibra is undroppable (even with the amount of sitters he has missed).

Jones is playing well but surely its only a matter of time before he gets injured again, Rojo is a red card waiting to happen and Utd are lucky to have gotten away with it so far. With Bailly out until Feb (ACoN) I think its a good move to get a decent centre half in now even if he isnt fully ready until next season, with Smalling , Bailly and this swede + couple of promising kids that will hopefully make that position a lot stronger than it is now. (even if its a lot of money, if reported sum is true, for someone not tested in a top league)

Back
Top Bottom