January Transfer Window 21/22

Man of Honour
Arsenal trimming the squad is perhaps inevitable against the backdrop of reduced matchday revenues during the pandemic and an absence of European football, they were also knocked out of all domestic cups before the end of January, so you could argue they actually don't need as much depth in the squad as they would normally February-May. It wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal end up playing the fewest number of games this season since... christ, I honestly don't know. I was going to say maybe since the pre-premier league era when we were banned from Europe, but in those days you have infinite FA cup replays, 2 legs in all the league cup rounds, ZDS cup etc etc.

By my count, Arsenal will play only 45 fixtures this season. Just 17 fixtures left from the end of January through to the end of the season. So they really shouldn't need to rotate the squad that much.

edit: Just looked it up, last time we played less than 45 matches was 1965/66.

Soldato
Arsenal trimming the squad is perhaps inevitable against the backdrop of reduced matchday revenues during the pandemic and an absence of European football, they were also knocked out of all domestic cups before the end of January, so you could argue they actually don't need as much depth in the squad as they would normally February-May. It wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal end up playing the fewest number of games this season since... christ, I honestly don't know. I was going to say maybe since the pre-premier league era when we were banned from Europe, but in those days you have infinite FA cup replays, 2 legs in all the league cup rounds, ZDS cup etc etc.

By my count, Arsenal will play only 45 fixtures this season. Just 17 fixtures left from the end of January through to the end of the season. So they really shouldn't need to rotate the squad that much.

edit: Just looked it up, last time we played less than 45 matches was 1965/66.
And despite all that and with your best shout of hitting top 4 in years you seem determined to throw that away by not getting a striker in, baffling

Caporegime
And despite all that and with your best shout of hitting top 4 in years you seem determined to throw that away by not getting a striker in, baffling
We tried with Vlahovic. Obviously didn’t think Isak was worth the release clause and few other options available. It’s hard to know what goes on behind the scenes. Sometimes things just aren’t possible, especially in January.

I expect another strong summer window though.

Soldato
The Vlahovic persuit made no sense to me, as soon as your interest was made known everything coming out of Italy said the dude had zero interest in joining.

Man of Honour
The issue is who would actually improve the team, be available at a sensible price and be willing to move Arsenal in January? Arteta seems to favour playing with a lone striker so they would have to be better than Lacazette who cost over £40m himself. Realistically who would they actually have bought?

Soldato
The issue is who would actually improve the team, be available at a sensible price and be willing to move Arsenal in January? Arteta seems to favour playing with a lone striker so they would have to be better than Lacazette who cost over £40m himself. Realistically who would they actually have bought?
Someone with better record of 1 in 3? At this point in time he's like a French Andy Carroll :p

(That's a joke btw, I actually like Lacazette, thought he'd be a great signing for arsenal)

Don
I'm not sure if some of the people commenting on the Everton/Alli transfer are just oblivious to the detail of the deal or just making cheap digs for the sake of it. The reported fee for Alli, worth between £30m and £40m depending on what you read, is entirely made up of performance related add-ons. Everton will only pay £30-40m if Alli plays like a £30-40m player. If Alli doesn't perform then the fee Everton end up paying will be considerably less, potentially even nothing at all.

As somebody said last night, the deal makes sense for everybody. Spurs get to shift Alli off their books knowing that if he does kick-on and get back to his best, they're going to get a decent fee and Everton have got a player that they only have to pay for if he performs.

Well they pay 12m after 20 appearances so you’d hope he’d manage that at least. No one else knows the other clauses. My comment wasn’t belittling Everton, the fact no one came in for him speaks volumes. Just a very strange signing.

Man of Honour
Laca had a 1 in 2 record before joining Arsenal, and there really aren't that many available strikers out there with a much better ratio than Laca in the EPL:
Pukki, Wilson, Bamford, Antonio, DCL, Richarlison, Ings, Watkins etc... none of these guys are getting close to a 0.5 ratio, they are all similar to Laca or worse.

Soldato
We tried with Vlahovic. Obviously didn’t think Isak was worth the release clause and few other options available. It’s hard to know what goes on behind the scenes. Sometimes things just aren’t possible, especially in January.

I expect another strong summer window though.

Isak wasnt worth the release clause tho. He's had a terrible season and not performed anywhere near like a 60 mil player. You dont just just throw that kind of money around otherwise you end up with a Pepe. Its better to wait if needs be and play the long game.

Soldato
Laca is the only forward we have who can hold the ball up / play with his back to goal. I do rate him but he still should score more, he misses quite a bit even though he's not in as many goal scoring positions this season. I can't believe we couldn't get someone in as our second choice, Nketiah is championship level at best.

Don
Well they pay 12m after 20 appearances so you’d hope he’d manage that at least. No one else knows the other clauses. My comment wasn’t belittling Everton, the fact no one came in for him speaks volumes. Just a very strange signing.
I believe it's £10m but that's hardly excessive. The headline £30-40m figure that everybody is throwing around will only apply if he's successful, in which case it's not expensive.

Associate
I believe it's £10m but that's hardly excessive. The headline £30-40m figure that everybody is throwing around will only apply if he's successful, in which case it's not expensive.
Yea, he won't hit 20 games before the end of the season either so Everton have got quite a while to decide whether it's working out before they have to pay Spurs anything. Seems like a decent enough deal.

Soldato
Yea, he won't hit 20 games before the end of the season either so Everton have got quite a while to decide whether it's working out before they have to pay Spurs anything. Seems like a decent enough deal.
That's the only clause that's been disclosed.

I would put my house on a relegation avoidance clause being in there too - and that it's a sizeable amount.

Don
I'd be amazed if Everton agreed to that. Everton are and would have been odds-on to avoid relegation regardless of Alli, they're not going to agree to pay a huge fee to achieve something they'd almost certainly have achieved anyway.

Don
I'd be amazed if Everton agreed to that. Everton are and would have been odds-on to avoid relegation regardless of Alli, they're not going to agree to pay a huge fee to achieve something they'd almost certainly have achieved anyway.

I doubt Levy would have put in clauses that wouldn't be achievable, regardless of them wanting shot.

Back
Top Bottom