January Transfer Window 21/22

Soldato
Bournemouth did some decent last day loan deals, managed to get get Cantwell in by the end of the window (although I do remember when he was linked with Liverpool a few seasons back), hopefully it helps them push on and get automatic promotion.

Don
Our deal for Carvalho has fallen through because the paperwork wasn't finalised in time.

I can't imagine it's the end of the situation because fundamentally not much changes. He's out of contract in the summer and was due to stay at Fulham until then anyway. I'd image we'll just agree a compensation fee with them along the lines of the fee we agreed now, to avoid going to a tribunal and sign him out of contract in the summer.

Caporegime
Bournemouth did some decent last day loan deals, managed to get get Cantwell in by the end of the window (although I do remember when he was linked with Liverpool a few seasons back), hopefully it helps them push on and get automatic promotion.
Something fishy about Cantwell at Norwich. When they were in the PL he was one of their best players and I thought they did well to hang on to him when they got relegated. Then they got into the PL this season and he's hardly playued despite being fit. At first I thought it might have been something personal between him and Farke but then Dean Smith came in and he still hasn't played.

Caporegime
Our deal for Carvalho has fallen through because the paperwork wasn't finalised in time.

I can't imagine it's the end of the situation because fundamentally not much changes. He's out of contract in the summer and was due to stay at Fulham until then anyway. I'd image we'll just agree a compensation fee with them along the lines of the fee we agreed now, to avoid going to a tribunal and sign him out of contract in the summer.
If he's out of contract in the summer we can just sign him for the Summer without any money to Fulham at all? That's what i don't get. If we could take him in the summer for nothing, why pay to sign him now and loan him back anyway? Fulham have missed out on some decent money and Liverpool wouldn't get the player until the end of the season anyway.

Consigliere
Ok so noob q...how come Newcastle can suddenly spend so much as surely they have to break even/fairplay rules? Or is it more over a period of X time that there has to be profit?

Apologies for the silly q. :o

Edit: Phrased this so badly but hopefully someone gets my drift.

Soldato
If he's out of contract in the summer we can just sign him for the Summer without any money to Fulham at all? That's what i don't get. If we could take him in the summer for nothing, why pay to sign him now and loan him back anyway? Fulham have missed out on some decent money and Liverpool wouldn't get the player until the end of the season anyway.

There'd be a fee decided by a tribunal in the summer. Foreign clubs could sign him completely free though.

Caporegime
Ok so noob q...how come Newcastle can suddenly spend so much as surely they have to break even/fairplay rules? Or is it more over a period of X time that there has to be profit?

Because Mike Ashley was so tight they've effectively built a 'warchest' of available money to spend without breaching FFP rules.

Don
There'd be a fee decided by a tribunal. Foreign clubs could sign him completely free though.
A fee is only decided by tribunal if the two clubs don't agree it between themselves. That's why I said not much has changed - we can still reach a compensation agreement with Fulham to sign him out of contract and he still stays at Fulham until the summer.

Don

Edit: Phrased this so badly but hopefully someone gets my drift.
FFP is calculated over 3 years so whatever they lose this season will be totaled up with whatever profits or losses from the previous 2 seasons and that's the figure that matters when doing next seasons FFP calculations. You're also allowed losses of £90m over those 3 years which gives them some margin for error.

Also the money they've spent on signings in January won't only hit this seasons accounts. The fee is spread over the lifetime of the players contracts so a £50m signing on a 5 year deal only costs the club (from an accounting point of view) £10m per season and in the case of January signings, they'll only be here for circa 6 months of the financial year so they would only cost £5m(ish).

Newcastle have spent £80m(ish)? Assuming all those players have signed 4.5 year deals (for example) - those transfer fees would only be an expense of around £9m on Newcastle's accounts for this season. Obviously you'll then have the wage expense on top of that.

Soldato
A fee is only decided by tribunal if the two clubs don't agree it between themselves. That's why I said not much has changed - we can still reach a compensation agreement with Fulham to sign him out of contract and he still stays at Fulham until the summer.

Doesnt this if anything strengthen our position? Fulham now know hes a gonna...you have Dortmund and the like sniffing around to pinch him for nothing. They'd be better off at least getting a fee for him.

Id like this to have been sorted in Jan but i imagine most of the leg work has already been done and this is nothing major.

Don
Doesnt this if anything strengthen our position? Fulham now know hes a gonna...you have Dortmund and the like sniffing around to pinch him for nothing. They'd be better off at least getting a fee for him.

Id like this to have been sorted in Jan but i imagine most of the leg work has already been done and this is nothing major.
Depends which way you spin it. On one hand you could say Fulham risk losing out on a fee or on the other you could say we risk losing out on the player.

Assuming the terms of a transfer were agreed between the two clubs then the most logical thing would be for them to agree a compensation deal along the lines of what's already been agreed and we sign him on a pre-contract agreement now.

Soldato
Depends which way you spin it. On one hand you could say Fulham risk losing out on a fee or on the other you could say we risk losing out on the player.

Assuming the terms of a transfer were agreed between the two clubs then the most logical thing would be for them to agree a compensation deal along the lines of what's already been agreed and we sign him on a pre-contract agreement now.

Which is what i think will happen. If not they risk upsetting the player and disrupting their push to the premier league.

The EFL not having deal sheets is bizarre by the way.

Back
Top Bottom