January Transfer Window 21/22

Don
I'm not sure how they'd risk upsetting the player. He has total control of the situation. Even if Fulham don't allow us to sign a pre-contract agreement with him, it still wouldn't stop him from signing the deal in the summer if that's what he wants.

Unless there's a change of heart from 1 of the 3 parties then I'm sure a deal will be reached.

Soldato
I'm not sure how they'd risk upsetting the player. He has total control of the situation. Even if Fulham don't allow us to sign a pre-contract agreement with him, it still wouldn't stop him from signing the deal in the summer if that's what he wants.

Unless there's a change of heart from 1 of the 3 parties then I'm sure a deal will be reached.

I guess if youre of that age and you know a deal to a massive club like Liverpool was put in jeopardy it would annoy you. He could fall off a cliff and do nothing for 6 months, do an ACL or similar and those moves vanish.

When your heart is set on a move, regardless of the circumstances, and it doesnt happen then it is going to annoy you.

Don
I'm sure he's not sat there worrying about falling off a cliff. There's no reason why we don't still want him and he has the power to make the deal happen, he has nothing to worry about. It's the two clubs that will be concerned about him changing his mind.

Soldato
It's not particularly great for Liverpool. They were seemingly the only club in the race today. They'll be up against every club on the planet that wants to throw their hats in the ring come June.

In sure he'll still want to go to Liverpool, and Fulham will no doubt want him to stay in the country, but the success stories of young English players moving to German clubs will no doubt be a temptation. You could easily see Dortmund making a good case.

Don
It's not particularly great for Liverpool. They were seemingly the only club in the race today. They'll be up against every club on the planet that wants to throw their hats in the ring come June.

In sure he'll still want to go to Liverpool, and Fulham will no doubt want him to stay in the country, but the success stories of young English players moving to German clubs will no doubt be a temptation. You could easily see Dortmund making a good case.
Any overseas clubs have been able to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with him since the 1st January so a Dortmund were as real a threat this month as they will be moving fowards.

That said, the potential for him to change his mind is why I strongly suspect that Fulham and Liverpool will agree a compensation deal now, allowing Liverpool to sign a pre-contract agreement with him before the summer. Fulham guarantee their fee and we guarantee to get the player - fundamentally the same reason as why we were trying to sign him and loan him back this window. If, as reported, the terms of the transfer have been agreed in full then it should be fairly straight forward to do still.

Associate
Something fishy about Cantwell at Norwich. When they were in the PL he was one of their best players and I thought they did well to hang on to him when they got relegated. Then they got into the PL this season and he's hardly playued despite being fit. At first I thought it might have been something personal between him and Farke but then Dean Smith came in and he still hasn't played.

Indeed, we're not quite sure what. He's had 'injuries', rumours of training ground issues, head doesn't appear in the right place, accused of being primadonna. But has also taken time out to help local fans.

Obviously this season hasn't worked out well for him so far, maybe a change of scenery will be beneficial. Out of contract in the summer, but we've got a year option.
Definitely good champ player, jury is out about prem quality.

Edit: missed the option for B'mouth to buy at the end of season, so maybe he may play again in yellow/green.....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Everton still doing strange things in the market, Alli could eventually cost £40m?! He barely looked a £5m player
At his best (admittedly a few seasons ago) he's worth that and more. Hopefully the change of club and change of manager could reignite his career. God knows we need the kick to push us away from the relegation zone.

Soldato
Have we really not signed anyone?
And did you expect our board to sign anyone not a chance there were some decent dm out there but it was to logical for our board they'll blame it on not having a manager and we will buy in the summer problem with that is with our board it'll take the clowns until the end of the summer transfer market to get a manager and won't be time for any players

Soldato
Everton still doing strange things in the market, Alli could eventually cost £40m?! He barely looked a £5m player

He had two good years but has looked pretty poor for a while now. No idea how he's worth anything like 40m. Everton baffle me with their transfer dealings these days. They manage to spend a lot of money on really poor players.

Don
I'm not sure if some of the people commenting on the Everton/Alli transfer are just oblivious to the detail of the deal or just making cheap digs for the sake of it. The reported fee for Alli, worth between £30m and £40m depending on what you read, is entirely made up of performance related add-ons. Everton will only pay £30-40m if Alli plays like a £30-40m player. If Alli doesn't perform then the fee Everton end up paying will be considerably less, potentially even nothing at all.

As somebody said last night, the deal makes sense for everybody. Spurs get to shift Alli off their books knowing that if he does kick-on and get back to his best, they're going to get a decent fee and Everton have got a player that they only have to pay for if he performs.

Soldato
Any overseas clubs have been able to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with him since the 1st January so a Dortmund were as real a threat this month as they will be moving fowards.

That said, the potential for him to change his mind is why I strongly suspect that Fulham and Liverpool will agree a compensation deal now, allowing Liverpool to sign a pre-contract agreement with him before the summer. Fulham guarantee their fee and we guarantee to get the player - fundamentally the same reason as why we were trying to sign him and loan him back this window. If, as reported, the terms of the transfer have been agreed in full then it should be fairly straight forward to do still.

You're right. That's all true. Still, the longer it goes on the more risk that another club hijacks it. The only way I can see him not joining Liverpool would be if a Dortmund-type club showed him a pathway to immediate CL football as a key squad member.

He's had a really bizarre route to where he is now - was playing for a team in Balham (?) until not that long ago! Looks an amazing talent... I'm just sad he didn't end up with us.

Soldato
Looks an amazing talent... I'm just sad he didn't end up with us.
He does in look like a special talent, when we were initially linked with him in the window I saw some statsbomb type thread on Twitter that compared him to other under 21 year olds on terms of attacking stats and he was comfortably head and shoulders above anyone. Hopefully we wrap him up when the season ends.

Soldato
He does in look like a special talent, when we were initially linked with him in the window I saw some statsbomb type thread on Twitter that compared him to other under 21 year olds on terms of attacking stats and he was comfortably head and shoulders above anyone. Hopefully we wrap him up when the season ends.

And £7m would seemingly be great value for him. Seeing as we were in for Brennan Johnson at Forrest and Kane Lewis-Potter at Hull, and were being told that each would cost us £20m! :eek:

Soldato
In
Auston Trusty (undisclosed, Colorado Rapids)

Out
Harry Clarke (loan, Hibernian)
Ainsley Maitland-Niles (loan, Roma)
Folarin Balogun (loan, Middlesbrough)
Dejan Iliev (released)
Sead Kolasinac (free, Marseille)
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (loan, Lincoln City)
Pablo Mari (loan, Udinese)
Karl Hein (loan, Reading)
Tyreece John-Jules (loan, Sheffield Wednesday)
Calum Chambers (free, Aston Villa)
Ryan Alebiosu (loan, Crewe Alexandra)
Jordi Osei-Tutu (loan, Rotherham United)
Auston Trusty (loan, Colorado Rapids)

Arsenal total spent to date: £0m
Arsenal total received to date: £0m
Arsenal net transfer balance: £0m

How depressing. 4 of them are squad players who have played at least a couple of times for the first team this season. Balogun would have been the sensible choice to fill in up top too considering we only have 2 strikers. I am concerned our youngsters are going to be run into the ground this season and it's not going to end very well.

EDIT

it doesn't even list Auba so that's 5 first team squad players gone.

Back
Top Bottom